Sign in to follow this  
User Name

BMW WAR CHIP

Hi Guys

Have Come accross this on the internet today and looks pretty mint and Cheap $350

http://www.millerperformancecars.com/war-chip.html

what do you guys reakon for a off the shelf adjustable ecu chip - or just go with megasquirt - i mean if it allows you to do 4 diffrent tunes that is pretty good

not really much information on the chip that i can find so far

I can't understand the need for 4 different tunes unless you are running different fuel types and need to change ecu maps frequently.

Would it not be less guesswork to go and see Gavin ? and get him to do custom tune on his dyno ?

they way i see it, you could spend $350 on the chip and then spend more money on a dyno tune to have it setup properly.

$350 could also achieve quite a lot of good quality service work that could help the engine run a lot better and make it last longer too.

MEGASQUIRT!

That's a dumb answer unless you explain why.

It depends on what you plan to do.

If you plan to do some serious engine mods - maybe add a turbo with high boost or similar, you will want the added flexibility of being able to control almost every part of the engine's tune provided by a aftermarket ecu such as Link, MoTec, Megasquirt or similar.

If you only plan to run a few mods, eg low boost, or a bore and stroke plus cams and exhaust, then you may wish to look at the option of remapping your factory ecu on the dyno. It will probably be more reliable and cheaper, and you'll get a perfectly reasonable result.

If you have one or two mods suited to a specific chip, and your engine is very close to factory spec, or you just want to tweak the tune slightly a chip may be the answer, but generally chips are a compromise, and there's no guarantee that they will match the claims.

I wouldn't bother with a chip in most circumstances, although if your car and plans suit one it is a cheap way to do it.

Edit: sorry Jimmy, you got in first - I was talking about rds's response.

I can't understand the need for 4 different tunes unless you are running different fuel types and need to change ecu maps frequently.

Would it not be less guesswork to go and see Gavin ? and get him to do custom tune on his dyno ?

they way i see it, you could spend $350 on the chip and then spend more money on a dyno tune to have it setup properly.

$350 could also achieve quite a lot of good quality service work that could help the engine run a lot better and make it last longer too.

I concur - why after market ecu AT ALL when you can tune the factory computer just as well. For a long time no-one could so it has become to norm to sway ECUs.

I recently went back to a stock ECU from aftermarket. So nice to have factory diagnostics and everything as well as an ECU that works mint with the car.

I think i agree with everbody really - Its a choice that you make

Aftermarket , Stock , Chip

they all have advantages and dis advanatages depending on what you want to do with your car.

and Miller performance who created this seem to Say to using as much stock stuff as they can eg. have a 12 injector standard m30 intake manifold. and somehow boosted i think around 8psi or bit more on the motronic ecu.

Everyone has swayed me to use gavin at Hi velocity when i finally do my ECU stuff even if i have to ship the car to Auckland

would rather have someone that knows the car they are working on compared to these Jap dyno guys who seem to think its all power not how the car goes

example. my mates evo 4 rs with evo 7 engine - spent 3k for dyno+ ecu installed and tuned only puts 280bhp at 14psi - and still runs crap

to my other mate - GSR with larger turbo etc - 1k for tune - stock ecu and putting out about 290bhp at same boost levels and sounds great

and i mean motronic do after market ECU's expensive to boot and i never seemed to read what they do diffrent

Guest FrantiC

With aftermarket ECU you can have extra features too though.

Yes you can remap or whatever your stock ECU..

But with an aftermarket ECU you can adapt different ignition methods (wasted spark , coil on plug setups etc, eliminating the dizzy). Use a MAP sensor, which then lets you take the out the restrictful AFM's..

Little things like that, plus other features built into the ECU's, Like megasquirt - Launch control, Boost control, can run wasted spark or stock ignition, add knock sensors and stuff like that, that your standard ECU can't do other than what it comes with stock..

I have megasquirt. Somedays I hate it because it's a complete PITA, but all in all it's very simple to use just setting it up is stressfull..

With aftermarket ECU you can have extra features too though.

Yes you can remap or whatever your stock ECU..

But with an aftermarket ECU you can adapt different ignition methods (wasted spark , coil on plug setups etc, eliminating the dizzy). Use a MAP sensor, which then lets you take the out the restrictful AFM's..

Little things like that, plus other features built into the ECU's, Like megasquirt - Launch control, Boost control, can run wasted spark or stock ignition, add knock sensors and stuff like that, that your standard ECU can't do other than what it comes with stock..

I have megasquirt. Somedays I hate it because it's a complete PITA, but all in all it's very simple to use just setting it up is stressfull..

I guess when you are going turbo it makes sense to swap.

I'm not convinced the AFM changes the peak power. It certainly didn't lose any HP when we went from MAP to AFM flap. The intake on the car is very restrictive as it is though. Perhaps a little throttle response but that is all.

EDIT: Even on early Motronic you can remove AFM for MAF.

I would definitely go Megasquirt.

-It's scalable

-It's customizable

-It's open source

-It's easy to alter when you upgrade your running gear

-The software is good to work with

-As with most open source software the community is very well established.

I would definitely go Megasquirt.

-It's scalable

-It's customizable

-It's open source

-It's easy to alter when you upgrade your running gear

-The software is good to work with

-As with most open source software the community is very well established.

Specificly the bmw community

http://wiki.diyefi.co.uk/index.php?title=B...park_Conversion

http://www.s14.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23984

http://forums.eurocca.net/showthread.php?t=24019

all found within 3seconds of looking.

I was so overcome with love for the megasquirt that I couldnt wait

Edited by *Glenn*

Ok this is going to be a dumb question

were is the best place to get Megasquirt close to NZ

and avg cost of installation to a car including risistors etc.

and it seems simple but how long does it take to learn im not the best electrician if you saw my wiring but its cause im lazy and alot of the time inebriated cause i would be keen if its cheap and will do eveything a aftermarket one will do.

and if dyno tuners can use it then i agree its properly worth a shot for the e28 to get her running better

Guest FrantiC

www.diyautotune.com

No idea who can install them.. Usually it would it come with the MS board in a box, You can choose to build ground up I think or ready made boards that require you to make an adapter loom with the DB-37 plug and loom supplied.

There is a guy on trademe who sells MS kits, if you send him your ECU he will build the MS inside your OEM ECU case. Plug and play.

Though you will possibly be required to splice into your engine loom anyhow - Too add the IAT sensor, a variable TPS, wideband 02 etc etc.

I bought my kit plug and play from someone in the U.S.. I had to re-wire abit of the wiring loom to add the IAT, variable TPS, wideband o2 sensor, relay wiring for power etc. So even plug and play will probably require abit of DIY effort. And I am not the smartest electrical wise either, Just make sure you read through the manuals online for MS, read up as much as you can.

Definatly worth a look into and $650 nz put into your ECU does sound pretty tempting, half the price of a link

but i would have to do alot of reading etc before i decided to get one cause knowing my luck i would screw something up lolz and then admitaly would really need someone to guide me along the way dont want to spend that much and kill it

when for 1500 you can get a link and install - has all the same fetures besides you dont have to put it together yourself

descisions, descisions thanks for the help tho will be up for debate when i decide to toss the motronic for something btter

Guest FrantiC

Mine cost me $1000 shipped from U.S for everything I have..

Megasquirt 1 V3 MSnS extra code (spark and fuel) ECU.

Adapter loom for plug and play

LC1 Wideband 02 sensor

GM IAT

external coil drivers and some GM wasted spark coil packs.

Then ontop of that I had to get a variable TPS.. Wiring, connectors, Alot of effort with the install lol. Then the getting it running and setting it up when it's all wired in is a mission especially for a first timer. I managed to get mine going after a long time trying to figure out why my ignition wasn't working. Should have worked with standard motronic ignition setup with the dizzy. But didn't, so I read up and found out how to wire up the GM coils and coil drivers to run wasted spark instead which is better anyways... More effort, But in the end you look back and it's actually not as hard as you would think.

ATM I am adding a circuit to have launch control.. Should be fun..

Thats not actually to bad to be honest specially for what you got, and the ammount of people that seem to run them makes them a worthy product.

an im sure there will always be help on bimmersport if i get really stuck and the internet.

then i have failures - only get to see my car for the w.e's if im lucky a couple times a month, and have my son and partner both get pissd off if i spend to long on the car,

the fact it took 6 months to do a engine upgrade/manual conversion and get the car in avg running condition, which i could now do i two days seen ive sussed most of my wiring etc

but i think megasquirt is swaying me and when i have more money and enough time to read everything im sure i might get sucked into buying one

Cheers

guys

and yea should goto wasted spark im at a loss between 2-3500 rpm seems to chocke abit and then goes again

Guest FrantiC

If you are having a choke that low in the rev range, it will be something else.

Wasted spark only really assists higher up were the coil dwell time is shared between 3 coils instead of 1 coil recharging 6 times a cycle (so they recharge more for a better spark). Also it allows for more spark advance and retard were as with stock dizzy it limits you to a certain advance or retard due to dizzy positioning and the rotor.. But not by much i think anyways.

If you are having a choke that low in the rev range, it will be something else.

Wasted spark only really assists higher up were the coil dwell time is shared between 3 coils instead of 1 coil recharging 6 times a cycle (so they recharge more for a better spark). Also it allows for more spark advance and retard were as with stock dizzy it limits you to a certain advance or retard due to dizzy positioning and the rotor.. But not by much i think anyways.

Wasted spark can offer some advantages. Yet our drag car only runs a set of points and a cordia coil, we have no trouble making power :ph34r:

You are right though, one advantage of wasted spark is how smooth it can be in the upper rev range. I do like the megasquirt system though

I've cleaned up the mess in here. Please keep it technical and on topic and leave personal attacks and remarks at the door. Please play nice fellas