Sign in to follow this  
1rotty

VW vr6

Hey guys,

As above-97 vr6 auto-low k's in good nick.

Anyone have any experience of these-reliability,maybe value etc .

I know nothing about them so your input would be much appreciated. :D

Thanks,

Mark.

Havent owned one, but jump on VASK and they will tell you.... not sure if auto is a killa or not, but manual Vr6's are fantastic cars apparently- one of the better VAG engines i gather, (aside from my 20vT heh :rolleyes: )

Edited by nath

Great Car, Nothing wrong with the autos.

No majors really, Just normal maintanence.Pretty thirsty on fuel we found was the main downside 12+l/100k around town.

They go really well, my partner had one before her mazda.

The V6's sound great!

VR6's rock, they have one of the best exhasut notes money can buy, they are well built and tastfully styled, especially with the BBS wheel option.

Better than the Mk4 Golf GTI IMO, the 1.8 20V GTI is only 110kw.

If you can feel a slight shudder or vibration when pulling away, it's something to do with the gearbox and approx. a $2.5k fix. I didn't find it as quick as I thought and that was a manual, but maybe it was just quiet. I too would rather have one than a MkIV GTi.

Looked at buying a manual VR6 before i bought my 325i...

My mates an old head on VASK and he said the VR6 was a sound car but definitely thirsty!!

As long as the service history is clean, should be a nice car.

I had a manual VR6 before I got the 330. No major issues, but I did seem to come across a few smaller ones (like clutch slave cyl, battery, rear wheel bearing, window regulators (both rears after 6+ months of no use)). Nothing out of the ordinary - just their time to go.... I did come across a couple of ABS issues in the service history on a couple of cars that I looked at (steered well clear of those particular cars).

Apart from that, it went well (as did the only auto I test drove before buying) but was a bit heavier on juice than even the 330 (and mines an auto). Think I was getting about around 11l/100km around town, and the best I ever saw on the open road was around 7.8l/100km. One thing I did notice was a bit of timing chain rattle at idle which seemed to be consistent with all the ones I looked at. They are a bit nose heavy compared to the 4cyl versions, but are a tardis when the rear seats are down. I squeezed 4 big guys (all 6ft +), 3 bikes on the towbar rack, and a boot full of bike gear in without too much trouble coming back fro Rotorua one time.

I think they are a reasonably lazy motor and not particularly highly stressed in that they are only 127kw from 2.8l. Well built, solid, reliable cars. Only reason I don't get one for my wife is they only have 2 airbags.

Edit: forgot the knocking engine mounts (bugged the hell out of me for ages until I replaced them).

Edited by elmarco

Too heavy in the nose to be any fun and FWD strugles with the power. Auto will kill the fun factor too. To me, the VR6 was always a 'half way car'.

If you want a small, fun hatchback check out a Peugeot 306 or Golf GTI. If you want a four door with a large lazy engine, a 3 series or Audi A4 (with quattro) will be a much better bet.

Thanks for all the helpful comments guys.

This was offered as a trade so not something I'd keep (unless it was tons of fun)

I'm not going for it -not worth nearly what the guy wants & 3 owners in under 3 years has to make you wonder.

Again thanks for your help.