Sign in to follow this  
swordfish

Window Tints

I am thinking to put some tints on my bmw :) Do you guys have any idea which ones are good and where if there is a place better to tint the car or is it easier to do it on my own. I am located in Christchurch by the way. I know a little about tints... Apparently American ones are good such brands as Llumar. Do you know if anybody actually have those in Christchurch. Thanks guys for all of the responses. Hope it to be a great discussion topic. :)

Edited by s_w_o_r_d_f_i_s_h

My girlfriend did myn, (with the help of SIRE30) haha

Came out very mint,

35% all round

from tint tech

Guest FrantiC

I got 35% tints from supercheap did them myself, came out mint.

But F you VTNZ for making me rip them off.

^ That's why you don't go to VTNZ.

I put 35% on mine too and they're pretty all good, I hate doing the rear window in E30s tho. PITA.

Guest FrantiC

Yeah the rear window is a complete PITA, especially if you have a highstop light stuck to the rear window.

And I had been through atleast 3 times prior with the same tints. Pink sticker inspection FTL.

So you can do it your self :) I've heard that the professional tinting services give you a certificate that you can show to cops or vtnz if they will start getting annoying that the tints are legal... Is that true?

yup, true

myn have a sticker on each window, saying certified 35%

i have been pulled up for my tints with cops in the past , i show them the sticker and they have nothing on me,

in fact,

One time i was pulled over, he thought the glass was tinted and had nothing on me what so ever, just goes to show what a mint job the pros really do :)

You have to be very careful and patient if you do it yourself. it is fairly difficult to get a really good finish without quite a bit of practice.

It doesn't cost all that much to get the pros to do it, and there tint is often higher quality and a greater range. UV resistant and blocking etc.

Yeah I am just thinking is it really worth it to do it your self... how much can you save and how much do the services take??? Does anybody know? If I have an E36 coupe for an example?

Ive done the rear passenger doors in my car myself. First time I had ever done it and they have come out mint. That was around 6 months ago now. Gonna wait a bit longer to see if they turn to crap since I used repco tints.

Any hints for doing a rear windscreen in an E30?

Ive done the rear passenger doors in my car myself. First time I had ever done it and they have come out mint. That was around 6 months ago now. Gonna wait a bit longer to see if they turn to crap since I used repco tints.

Any hints for doing a rear windscreen in an E30?

pull it out and do it , easy as

Guest FrantiC

I've heard you place the tint on the rear of the windscren on the outside, get a hair drier and run it over the tint so it sorta resizes to the curve of the window.

this didn't work for me and I wasted the tint, I kinda over did it but the tint does sort go to shape.

I've heard you place the tint on the rear of the windscren on the outside

You always tint the inside. Wtf. Always.

Some people do rears in 2 pieces because of the curve. Get a decent guy and he will do it in one.

I think he ment, place it on the window... heat it up.. then take it inside and stick it on.

my mate did his own and it turned out mint as, but all the glass in his car was already out of the car as he was doing other work on the car at the time, so it was easy enough to do effort-wise

the good thing with getting it professionally done is that you'll have a guarantee on the work, so if it starts peeling / bubbling or whatever, then they'll fix it up for no extra cost

Guest FrantiC

You always tint the inside. Wtf. Always.

Some people do rears in 2 pieces because of the curve. Get a decent guy and he will do it in one.

Uh, I said place it on the rear windscreen on the outside and get a hairdryer to heat it and make it sort of mould to the shape of the window.. Then you do the usual stick it on the inside.

I didn't say tint the outside. <_<

my mate did his own and it turned out mint as, but all the glass in his car was already out of the car as he was doing other work on the car at the time, so it was easy enough to do effort-wise

the good thing with getting it professionally done is that you'll have a guarantee on the work, so if it starts peeling / bubbling or whatever, then they'll fix it up for no extra cost

Any price estimates on how much would it cost to do it in service. Thanks

I might add for everyones information...it is illegal to apply a film (tint) on the front or rear screens of a non commercial vehicle.

I might add for everyones information...it is illegal to apply a film (tint) on the front or rear screens of a non commercial vehicle.

Why do most of the services do it anyway? and I think 5% is legal on front screen as well if I am not wrong.

Are you sure about the rear screen Glenn? I had both of my E36's rear screens tinted by tint-a-car (along with the sides) to minimise the sun getting in the kids eyes (Clay was in a rear facing infant seat at the time). I'm sure they wouldn't have put it on if it was illegal.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Simon*

I thought that was for completely opaque or at least darker than 35% tints only, the commercial vehicle rule

Guest FrantiC

For a personal vehicle, you are only allowed 35% the darkest tints on all side and rear windows. You are only allowed I think 110mm from the top of the front windshield.

Vans are allowed 5% all around, except front windshield. But must have sideview mirrors..

Are you sure about the rear screen Glenn? I had both of my E36's rear screens tinted by tint-a-car (along with the sides) to minimise the sun getting in the kids eyes (Clay was in a rear facing infant seat at the time). I'm sure they wouldn't have put it on if it was illegal.

Cheers

Grant

I better check. I know when we were doing warrants at my last business it was a no no...I stand corrected. Compliance was scrapping the rear films off regardless of tint %. Rules may have changed. I still hold my LVI but havent been doing it for 10 years now. Vehicles with factory tints can only have additional tints fitted to a maximum 35% overall. You cant fit 35% on factory tinted glass though.

Tint Magic quoted me $400 including gst for my ST220, Getting it done at the start of next month.

All 4 side windows and the back window, 35%

I think it cost my mate between $300 and $350 for professional installation

One of the windows started bubbling a week or so after it was done, and they replaced the tint free of charge and no fuss at all.

Considerably dearer than buying a pre-cut kit off trademe, or buying tints from Repco, but good piece of mind if you're not comfortable doing it yourself.

I'm not sure how that price compares to other installers, you may be able to get a better deal.