Sign in to follow this  
bekker

New car - what to get?

... but maybe keeping it as a project.

Anyway I'd love to hear peoples suggestions for wagons.

I haven't made a final decision yet and my budget would be under $10k

My first choice would be an E34 touring, maybe E36 but I'm a bit iffy about some of the E36 build quality. Merc E320? Are they any good to drive? They seem to do high mileages.

I'd consider Japanese, but probably only a Legacy (how do they compare?), maybe an Altezza Gita. I kinda like the Nissan Stagea but not the interior.

The Volvo's I've seen and driven seem too complicated and not that well put together but I'd consider a nice 850r.

Any ideas or personal experience?

Cheers

Saw a stunning E30 320i touring M tech 2 on TM. If it pops up again, buy it. Its stunning :D

E36 and E34 tourings seem to very rare. What about an E46?

If it was my money, I would buy something like this Audi A4 1.8T Avant manual, nz new for $8.5k. Also spotted the same thing, but with lower kms asking $11k.

If you want reliability and peace of mind, go with a jappa. Friends of mine who have Caldinas rave about them.

Mazda Familia SP20 or SP23?

I think they look quite nice.

That's a bit small. Even the A4 may be a little small. The Caldina's are rated but they seem expensive next to, say, a Legacy. Seem to pay a lot for the name.

Is that the silver E30? I think that belongs to one of the guys from here. It is sooo sweet... but prob a bit small and I want some decent safety features too.

Yeah, the premium you pay for a caldina saves you lots of money on repairs and fuel. Ask anyone how much it costs for a subaru cambelt lol.

Just did mine for just over $1k :o

406 hdi diesel...

just got 930km out of $66 of city driving... in my older less effeicent model..

Edited by DRTDVL

Yeah, the premium you pay for a caldina saves you lots of money on repairs and fuel. Ask anyone how much it costs for a subaru cambelt lol.

Just did mine for just over $1k :o

Yeah I guess the attraction is that apparently they are more of a drivers car and the driving position is the best I've found in a Jap car of that type. Don't Subaru have a reputation for reliability?

Yes they do, I would look at the 3.0R. Lots of car for the money. They are chain drive also.

$1,000 is nothing for a cam belt.

Yes they do, I would look at the 3.0R. Lots of car for the money. They are chain drive also.

$1,000 is nothing for a cam belt.

It is for a $3.6k car!

Altho chain-drive must be great, no worries :D

And they definitely have a good driving position, and heapsa fun :P

I agree with the Caldina comments. A 406 HDI is also a good suggestion.

If you want a large Euro wagon, check out a Saab 9-5. For under $10k you should be able to get something relatively late model. Try and stay with NZ new and go for the 2.3 Turbo.

I'd also look at the Toyota Z Tourings. I just got one for my daughter. Tiptronic 4 speed with overdrive and shift buttons on the steering and its got the Lexus 2ZZE chain drive motor

Edited by *Glenn*

I can definately recommend the Pug's, had a 406 STi for a few years in the UK and loved it. Very comfortable, lots of leg room and drove really well with no issues at all.

When we need a bigger wagon after the Focus, its what Ill be looking at.

I can definately recommend the Pug's, had a 406 STi for a few years in the UK and loved it. Very comfortable, lots of leg room and drove really well with no issues at all.

When we need a bigger wagon after the Focus, its what Ill be looking at.

There are a few Pugs around and I really like the idea of an HDi, but you are the first person I've heard of that has never had any issues! I'd love a Laguna wagon or a C5 as I love the way French cars drive - when they drive (when I was younger my parents had a BX19GT and we absolutely loved it). The French seem to be the makers of the most unreliable cars? Everywhere I look people are complaining about the shoddy build quality. My folks had a 406 turbo in the uk, gave it away (yes literally) in the end and it was nice, when it was drivable.

The Toyota Z sounds interesting, although I suspect a little on the small side - are they Corolla based?

basically like with all cars it comes down to preventative maintenance...

I haven't had many problems with mine... maybe i'm just lucky... i've now had 4 pugs... 2x 205's, 406,306, 307(gf)...

basically if you take it to someone who knows the cars it's fine... But when i was looking for a 206 some of the repair work on them was sh*t... wrong ill fitting oil filters, lack of maintenance, replacing with cheap crap parts... etc... I mean when i got my 306 from someone who "looked after" his car... it had a 4 year old paper air filter with grass growing in it...

Get an NZ new one and you will typically have less problems with electrics and rust/corrosion related problems due to the nz climate compared with the uk and japan.

Kiwi's are typically from what i've seen crap at maintenance - my aunt had never changed her oil or had a service for 6 years!

There are a few Pugs around and I really like the idea of an HDi, but you are the first person I've heard of that has never had any issues! I'd love a Laguna wagon or a C5 as I love the way French cars drive - when they drive (when I was younger my parents had a BX19GT and we absolutely loved it). The French seem to be the makers of the most unreliable cars? Everywhere I look people are complaining about the shoddy build quality. My folks had a 406 turbo in the uk, gave it away (yes literally) in the end and it was nice, when it was drivable.

The Toyota Z sounds interesting, although I suspect a little on the small side - are they Corolla based?

Have a look and a drive...you'll be surprised... I was...Its a great car with alot of room.. which my daughter needs to carry fabric and clothing designs in

I am going through the same process at the moment and have basically narrowed it down to a late 90's VW Passat (IMO the look better than an Audi of the same generation) or a Ford Mondeo (01 on shape). I may also consider a Vectra, but am still a little bit unsure about them.

Edited by zenetti

Although I do like the idea of diesel economy, I still keep coming back to the thought that nice as a lot of these cars are, would anyone say they are a 'better' (not necessarily more logical) or a more attractive prospect than a nice E34 touring?

If I could get late(ish) model say, 525i with a couple of airbags, abs etc how would it stack up against, say, a 406 or even a nice GTB or 3.0r Legacy?

Does anybody have any experience with the Merc E320?

they are very different cars the 525i would be a higher spec car as it would have been that tier above the 406/GTB.

the 406's are very well kitted out factory if you looked at a 3.0 v6, i would recommend against getting an auto if you could as they are known to be problem area's when they get to about the 180,000km mark. Talk to Kieth about spring kits for them and they look really good...

I'd say go have a look and a drive of a couple if you could...

Make your own mind up...

Dont get me wrong e34 tourings are great cars, but you can really see the touring is early 90's compared to the 406 being late 90's, especially in the interiors.

I had my 406 SRi five years and it never missed a beat. My wife never pays any interest in cars, but if I was to bring her home another one it would make her very happy indeed.

The reality is you have to get behind the wheel of a couple and decide for yourself.

Yeah Pugs are sweet cars, the 406 indeed a very good choice.....

My grandmother owned new 505gti, 309, 406, 307 and now finally has a golf. As much as she loved them obviously, she had 'problems' with every car. Small niggly nana problems though maybe. gauges stopping in the 406, gearbox electronics in the 307 playing up, remote locking issues in the 505(kept a key behind the number plate because of this haha).

But hey- those things are hardly the giant list of replacement parts that my 'lady owner well serviced' Audi has on her records!!