Sign in to follow this  
dreamkast

Getting hot.

Hey so Ive owned my 96 323i msport for 1 month now but recently whenever I drive for roughly longer than 10mins my temp gauge goes to the max (specially if at a stand still )so I put the air con on and try get some speed to get that air into the engine and it cools it down every time. I took it around to my mate he didnt know too much about it but he looked at my fan and said when he was accelerating it (in neutral) the fan wouldnt increase in speed which he thought it should. Ive had to fill up the water every day as after each drive theres none left, this car isnt geting driven any more till its fixed. please help me. cheers

Get it professionaly checked ASAP and I would suggest stop driving it before you end up damaging it. Could just be a thermostat or water pump problem at this stage...keep driving it .... it'll be a lot more

Guest FrantiC

Depends what is wrong with it to cause it to over heat.

Is the car puffing white smoke ?

Sounds like headgasket if the cooling system is being left empty?

nah theres no smoke or anything that I have noticed.

anyone know a good place on the north shore to get it checked out at?

Bavarian Motors, 6 Colway Pl Glenfield Auckland

How did you arrive at that assumption ???

Ive had to fill up the water every day as after each drive theres none left, this car isnt geting driven any more till its fixed. please help me. cheers

How did you arrive at that assumption ???

^^

Edited by Mark247

^^^^

And your meaning is ?

Water leaks can come from hoses, radiators, water pumps, heater matix, plastic fittings & housings .... not just head gaskets... still dont know why he would assume a headgasket....doesn't help the OP at all

^^^^

And your meaning is ?

Water leaks can come from hoses, radiators, water pumps, heater matix, plastic fittings & housings .... not just head gaskets... still dont know why he would assume a headgasket....doesn't help the OP at all

Fair comment. I know that.

But, it would be worth mentioning to the op that it could be a headgasket in my opinion.

Sorry I just thought you had misread something, my bad.

Also, if it overheats after only ten minutes, if it was a leak of somesort it would have to be pissing out from my experience. My car was pissing out coolant like no tomorrow and it would still run fine for way over 10 minutes. My limited knowledge on something like this would make me think headgasket or an airlock.

Edited by Mark247

Guest FrantiC

I'm only offering my 2c.. That is why I asked if the car is puffing white smoke.

Water leaking is something obvious, but the OP never mentioned anything about water leaking anywhere, merely overheating real bad and disappearing water.

I did put a question mark on the end of the "Sounds like headgasket if the cooling system is being left empty?"....

It is a forum, we can all pitch in with ideas to what is causing the above problems.... maybe get on the right track with what the issue is from the problem and symptoms described from the OP.

Guest FrantiC

thanks guys, bavarian was awesome, was the fan had no like no resistance to it.

Where was all your water going?

Where was all your water going?

When an engine overheats the water expands and goes out the overflow.... simple really

Guest FrantiC

When an engine overheats the water expands and goes out the overflow.... simple really

Yeah but that is pretty obvious the OP said it needed to be filled up after drives. Nothing that it had coolant flowing out the overflow.

Yeah but that is pretty obvious the OP said it needed to be filled up after drives. Nothing that it had coolant flowing out the overflow.

I understand that. I wasnt having a dig at you. The OP may not have seen where the water was going. Thats the problem when trying to diagnose faults over the internett. You may not be given all the right info from an OP to give him the right answer. Sometimes it is "hit or miss" with the right answer. The more info the better. And if the OP doesnt have any mechanical knowledge, it makes it harder.

Thats one of the reasons why back in my day: Trade Motor was a 9000 hr apprenticeship.

Thats one of the reasons why back in my day: Trade Motor was a 9000 hr apprenticeship.

Thats so right Wayne... now you get kids that left school 1 or 2 years ago... read a few books..checked out a few forums and read a few posts by other kids .. and now they know it all ???

Thats so right Wayne... now you get kids that left school 1 or 2 years ago... read a few books..checked out a few forums and read a few posts by other kids .. and now they know it all ???

I have never heard of a single kid on this forum who has ever said they know it all. Who do you mean?

My neighbour has a e38 and the transmission is not smooth when shifting cold. One day he came over, and said, he thinks it's cause by something he sees in the engine bay. I told him, there's no way you can see anything in the engine bay, but he wanted to show me. It turns out, the top of power-steering reservoir has a hole in it.

I asked him why he thinks that was related to the transmission, and he replied, he found out what ATF stands for. The reservoir says ATF Fluid only LOL - definitely someone who doesn't know what he doesn't know.

I have never heard of a single kid on this forum who has ever said they know it all. Who do you mean?

And I never said it was happening here either.. I was just replying to Waynes statement

This is a problem the Tech Institutes are having too. Kids get on the internet, on the wrong forums, get the wrong information, are led by people with the wrong atttitudes, think they know it all and at the end of the day.. achieve FA.. or end up before a magistrate. Some will listen & learn.. some will rebell, get aggresive when they misjudge help or constructive criticsim as an attack on them personaly.

Edited by *Glenn*

And I never said it was happening here either.. I was just replying to Waynes statement

This is a problem the Tech Institutes are having too. Kids get on the internet, on the wrong forums, get the wrong information, are led by people with the wrong atttitudes, think they know it all and at the end of the day.. achieve FA.. or end up before a magistrate. Some will listen & learn.. some will rebell, get aggresive when they misjudge help or constructive criticsim as an attack on them personaly.

Im not entirely sure I'm following you but I'll take that on board and hopefully no kids will end up in front of the judiciary from reading bimmersport.

:huh:

Im not entirely sure I'm following you but I'll take that on board and hopefully no kids will end up in front of the judiciary from reading bimmersport.

:huh:

The problem is Mark, they will react to what they read or read into it.. whether it be right or wrong... they will make their own choices as well right or wrong... will they listen ? will they think ? or will they just react ??

Guys! Scanners, forums,word of mouth all help.

The training guys like Glenn have [old school] for diagnosis is embedded in knowledge of general motors then applied to a brand. The up- skilling is expensive and time consuming. The physics of the modern motor has changed little.

Listen to this mans advise!

The problem is Mark, they will react to what they read or read into it.. whether it be right or wrong... they will make their own choices as well right or wrong... will they listen ? will they think ? or will they just react ??

I've been sitting for 6 hours writing an essay for philosophy class and I thought Derek Parfit's writings on psychological connectiveness would lose me, not bimmersport.

You've lost me!! :wacko: