Sign in to follow this  
kerry

how do people justify their prices

I think it's called Dreamer's Maths, goes something like:

Value of car + cost of rims and tyres + cost of stereo + what ever else I've spent x 2 + dream factor

So for the 318 auto it works out at:

$500 + $1200 + $800 + $400 x 2 + $1200 = $4.5k for the car!!

Notice their dream factor is the biggest part of their price, says a lot.

As more and more E30 are dying off to want to be wreckers and the race series, prices will keep going up for the road vehicles, even if some are pieces of sh*t.

Guest Simon*

I think it's a lesson for some people too with the 'stereo factor'

I don't want your fancy headdeck, speakers and most of all a carpet wrapped box filling up the boot with a sub in it. It does not feature in my "buyer's price" I place upon a vehicle. Take it ALL out then we'll talk <_<

You’re going to have to face it you’re not addicted to bass Simon but defiantly, unless it’s a selling feature like some mega massive awesome install that cant be removed.

Im taking all my good stuff out when I sell mine, im not fond of giving a few grand’s worth of gear away.

Agree with Simon & Jon (rag-top). If they removed all the fancy dancy stuff that is not "permanent", the car would be worthless. If the time comes to sell my POS, Im going to remove anything that isnt factory or permanent so I wont be losing $ for stuff that is worthless to someone else, which they will probably remove anyway - and sell to make their $ back.

As more and more E30 are dying off to want to be wreckers and the race series, prices will keep going up for the road vehicles, even if some are pieces of sh*t.

I was waiting for someone to blame the race series!! Undoubtedly it has increased demand for E30s which would push their market value up, supply v demand and all that.

Certain E30s have gone up as a result, late 318i manual coupes, 320i manuals, etc. as have the price of the spares. But I think a lot of people are dreaming about their 4 door 318i auto being worth more as a result, or because E30s are "collectable classics" :unsure:

Also. there are currently 1,759 Toyota Corolla's and 1,360 Subaru Legacy's listed on trade-me, some people want to drive something with a bit of style and are ignorant to what they are actually buying, This guy could sell that piece to the likes of a young guy/girl who is not wise to the fact it’s a dud, I say good on him, it’s all the better for current EE30 owners.

Most people I know wouldn't buy it simply because it's old and "overpriced" why buy that when you can get a 1.8 FWD Gay POS Japanese car for the same price with less kays and newer.

Most people I know wouldn't buy it simply because it's old and "overpriced" why buy that when you can get a 1.8 FWD Gay POS Japanese car for the same price with less kays and newer.

Because tools are like "zomg its a bmw with shiny wheels, thats so like V I P"

hahaha that E39 is hilarious!

I think it must be a 6spd Dinan SC in disguise lol

+ "that's a RWD it'll do mean skids"

Thats what my first thought was when I got my E30...not even ow! No skids in it...too slooow :lol: (unless its wet) :P

they dont have to justify the prices they ask to you lot...they can ask what they like and you guys can rant and criticise...it will always be thus.The guy with the money decides.

Well if you car sits on Trademe for nearly a year & you are moving, surely you'd realise no one wants it at that price.

I think people use the "im moving" sentence too much. As if that many people are moving overseas (nearly every car that is overpriced has that sentence in it).

It seems to me that some of the E30s are slowly going up in value. Manuals are harder to get and the sell price should reflect that. Purists like the E30s one way and others like to modify them. Sell a good car to your market and you should get a good price. Each to their own.

Well if you car sits on Trademe for nearly a year & you are moving, surely you'd realise no one wants it at that price.

you would think so wouldnt you,but they are the sole judge of what price is acceptable.

Define 'acceptable' though Paul :)

Acceptable in thats the price would want for the car, or is it acceptable in terms of a fair market value ?

Id argue that none of the cars in this thread so far were acceptable in terms of fair market value and I think thats the whole point of the thread.

i agree completely but the fact is the owner of the car thinks he is gonna get more.Otherwise its wouldnt still be sitting on trademe and we wouldnt be having pointless discussions about car prices.There are only two people that matter in this debate,and its not us

Its all opinions. Everyone is entitled to them. Just good to see that 90% of ours are all the same for once :lol:

But, he should put "offers" on the ad and he'd no doubt get bigger bites. And also, say remove the wheels and price will be "blah" etc.

As posted originally, all the bolt-ons that are not permanent dont make your car worth more, just makes it more appealing to certain peoples.