Sign in to follow this  
Top Secret

SA E30 325i Model Differences

What are the differences between SA import E30 325is, and how would I go about checking if a model is a SA import?

Cheers in advance

SA cars have the following:

- Long range fuel tank in the boot

- Higher spec (often leather sports interior, OBC, electric sunroof, electric windows and mirrors)

- Always 4 door.

- Many have motorsport suspension (Bilstein dampers etc)

- Usually automatic with cruise control.

- Will often have a Tech I steering wheel.

EDIT:

- Bigger tool kit than EU cars.

Most SA cars will have been imported via Japan. You can check for the build plate under the bonnet that will say the car was built in SA too.

Edited by _Mark_

You're onto it Mark..

Other bits:

-Sump guard

-Larger airbox and air filter

-No number plate filler between the tail lights..

-Ice warning bell - I'm assuming its an SA thing as my old Jap E30 didn't have one.

Edited by _Alan_

The vin will start with 'Z' (SA) as opposed to the usual 'W'(Germany)

The windows will have the brand name "Armourplate" on them if it is South African assembled as opposed to Sekurit.

That figures - when you think about it LOL

Thats something I didnt know-its why I enjoy BSport-always new info to be had.

SA 325i or SA 325iS??

325iS has m3 suspension components, is 5-lug, has a 2.7l m20, and aluminium body panels among other things.

325i is as previous posts. Often also have cruise control.

I bought a S.A 318 manual parts car and it was pritty low spec. Manual windows non-power steering, drum brake rear end. It did have 51mm front struts, 325i brakes and a medium case diff though. It was also full of rust, in the middle of the drivers door skin there was a huge hole lol

SA cars have the following:

- Long range fuel tank in the boot

- Higher spec (often leather sports interior, OBC, electric windows and mirrors)

- Bigger tool kit than EU cars.

Would these be able to be fitted onto an E30 coupe? e.g. different seat rails, gauges, looms, connectors for OBC etc? Would the larger fuel tank have an effect on handling? I've seen a few threads about removing these, which made me curious... obviously sunroof isn't a go I know! lol

Do they usually have Sump Guards too?

Recaro/leather interiors will bolt straight in.

OBC might be a bit of a mission, you'd have to install all the sensors and wiring etc..

And they should have sump guards.

The obc's a waste of space anyway-just rubbish.

obc is easy to retrofit, same with the cruise control, since the SA will be a 4door you will have to convert the seats to coupe spec, also the toolkit just clips in.

3Pedals is correct, but don't let that put you off a SA e30. Mine is an SA and probably one of the best specc'd 4-doors in the country. It is only missing map light and one or two other fairly rare extras, and is well put together, and rust free by e30 standards.

You can retrofit the fuel tank. Sumpguard needs the mounting points welded to the chassis. Cruise control is possible but you need alot of parts (switches, stalk, throttle lever, and all the obvious bits). Tool kit is a 2 min job to swap over (I've done it). OBC might be possible, but the OBC cars have a different light stalk on the column with an OBC switch on it, and you'd need to get all of the various connections sorted. Also you probably won't get the temp function working unless you want to install the sensors, and not sure if the OBC immobiliser will work. As to Rotty's comment about OBC being rubbish - I guess it depends what you want out of it - I use mine every time I drive, but if I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it too much.

Interior is easy to swap. Electric windows and mirrors might be a bit of a pain, but theoretically all of the wiring should be there, you just need to spend the time getting the motors and rails and switches in (which means swapping the centre console and door cards to take the switches, etc.

A mission in other words.

Kind of off topic, but how do you retrofit the maplight mirror?

Iv heard its just a plug and play and wiring is down by the front drivers side footwell speakers.

Maplight mirror FTW!

Never ever used it...

but still...

FTW!!!!

OBC might be possible, but the OBC cars have a different light stalk on the column with an OBC switch on it, and you'd need to get all of the various connections sorted. Also you probably won't get the temp function working unless you want to install the sensors, and not sure if the OBC immobiliser will work. As to Rotty's comment about OBC being rubbish - I guess it depends what you want out of it - I use mine every time I drive, but if I didn't have it, I wouldn't miss it too much.

I have to disagree about retrofitting OBC, all the plugs are there and running the temp sensor is easy, took about 30min to retrofit the whole thing, only problem is that I am yet to get the fuel mileage settings working :( but the temp and speed functions work, love the *bing* warning when im going to fast :)

Only thing I found different between the SA loom and the German loom is a single black plug comming out, that goes into the back of the cluster, that might be my problem with fuel mileage.

The obc's a waste of space anyway-just rubbish.

Clock looks better anyway!

Maplight mirror FTW!

Never ever used it...

but still...

FTW!!!!

Map light mirror is quite useless, might as well use the cigarette lighter although we all like turning something on by tweaking its nipples. Nice to have one for boasting value.

I wouldnt say they are better specked over a NZ 325iSE, you would strugle to find a F/L NZ new 325i anyways.

One feature I have noticed on the three S/A imports I have driven is that nearly all Waning lights are on at the same time giving them an awesome Christmas tree effect. The all went hard though.

Edited by Apex

Guest FrantiC

Maplight mirror is FTW when you are a delivery boy delivering pizza at night trying to read address dockets :D

Guest Ari Gold

325iS:

Bonnet, door skins and front wings are imported alloy.Car weighs 1147 kg with PAS, air con, electric windows, LSD, leather.

The suspension is Full M3 gear with alpina sways.

Engine is an early spec Alpina C2 2.7 motor - td crank, with alpina rods and pistons, with a stock 325i head, and a cam of unknown spec, its racier than a stock 325i cam, but less than a genuine alpina cam.Motor was produced alongside the alpina motors also. Modified motronic management.

500 produced in 03/1990.

in 03/1991 and 05/1991 there were two more batches produced, known as the 325iS Evo. Both identical batches.

But, informally, the 1990 cars are known as Evo 1's and the 1991 cars are known as Evo 2's.

The Evo 2 spec differs in that they returned all all steel body parts, had an adj front splitter under the m-tec 2 front, the engine was the full alpina motor, with alpina head, using larger valves, cam and standalone alpina management. They also got an M30 throttle body and AFM.

Power for the Evo 1 was 194hp and 265Nm, Evo was 204hp and 270Nm.

Have vagued checked, but I haven't got the space or tools to go delving into the depths of the car to find rust.

When's this Hamilton E30 meet going on?

Have vagued checked, but I haven't got the space or tools to go delving into the depths of the car to find rust.

When's this Hamilton E30 meet going on?

I see you found the thread B)