Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

What glue for doorcards etc?

Guest Simon*

Hi I'm wanting to re-stick some of the clips that have pulled away from my front doorcards.

What glue would you recommend using, just A2 or similar?

i have used that black (sort of like silicon) stuff they use for windscreens , sticks to most things, has a good amount of give in it . takes a while to set though , but seams to hold better than most hard glues or f2 type glues etc .

panel beaters tend to use it every where to stick panels and body kits on etc .

Do you want to glue up busted clips? Prob better to buy new clips from BMW... Unless they're outrageously expensive of course.

Hi I'm wanting to re-stick some of the clips that have pulled away from my front doorcards.

What glue would you recommend using, just A2 or similar?

We use a heavy duty hot glue gun and only use Wurth glue sticks for the plastic mounts that hold the clips.

Guest Simon*

Do you want to glue up busted clips? Prob better to buy new clips from BMW... Unless they're outrageously expensive of course.

No they're not broken just need to reattach the plastic ones to the inside of the door card

Cheers Glenn - hot glue gun sounds like the answer

i need to do the same

also anyone got any ideas for gluing the door vinyl back on to the door card? I tried Ados F2 contact adhesive but it peeled off after a couple of weeks

I used the Ados F2 contact adhesive as Ollie mentioned to do exactly as you describe you want to do Simon.

They turned out perfectly and hold extremely strong. 5 minutes after I stuck them together I could hold a clip and let the door card hang. Very strong. Still holding strong today.

Ollie, I don't know how you did it but you're meant to apply the adhesive on both surfaces and let it get tacky before you put them together. Only half of the strip that I needed to stick back was loose so I ripped it fully off so I could get perfect coverage of the whole thing. If the adhesive wasn't applied to both surfaces or it was stuck together right away then it won't have a strong bond and won't last for long.

The Ados stuff is only $10 a tube from memory and I've still got 1/2 left. Great stuff IMO if you use it right.

Hope that's of some help mate.

cheers Nick. i did rush it so will give it another proper go. Ive used the stuff heaps and never really had a problem, perhaps my big can of it is a bit old ...

I used epoxy glue (Selley's Araldite) for exactly what you want to do Simon. Figured that stuff is stronger than Ados F2. While it's more expensive, you don't need that much. To me it was well worth the peace of mind knowing I wouldn't need to do it again.

Having said that - got curious and searched for which would be more appropriate for door cards - see link.

http://www.mr-dt.com/materials/adhesives.htm

Reckon at the end of the day though, preparation is the most important thing.