Sign in to follow this  
raspygold

ca18det 318i

Hey guys,

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-250364479.htm

I've been looking at this car on TM for a bit and I've managed to talk the guy down to around $5.3k for the car plus a new WOF.

Please let me know what you think as I'm quite keen on it but if anyone knows something I don't, I'd appreciate being filled in.

Cheers.

have been looking at it to lol, it seems like a pretty good car

did he tell you why he put a c18det in and not a sr20det?

Edited by wolley

CA18DET's go alright, my mate has a 180sx that will go thru 3rd doing a burnout, plenty of grunt! probably was a cheap enbgine to get ahold of etc when he decided to do a conversion.

i reckon it'd be abit of fun, wee bit different aswell!

I'd only buy it if the conversion is really well executed. A cert helps on that count, and from the photos it looks pretty good.

I reckon a CA18DET in an E30 would be mint - light(ish), revs hard and pretty good power.

I'd only buy it if the conversion is really well executed. A cert helps on that count, and from the photos it looks pretty good.

I reckon a CA18DET in an E30 would be mint - light(ish), revs hard and pretty good power.

Yeah thats my thoughts exactly, CA18DETs are cheaper than SR20DET and just as bulletproof (as least if you run them on good oil) from what I've heard. Not as powerful as the SR20DET but I'm not that much of a speed demon and it looks tidy which is what I want also. Might be more efficient than the standard 318i engine too :P

The engine was in an auto 180sx so its probably had a pretty easy life so hopefully it'll have a bit left in it, if not it might be $1000 for a new engine and have it installed so thats not bad at all, about half the price of an SR.

@wolley - nah he didn't mention why he went for a CA instead of an SR, im assuming because the 180sx he pulled it from was cheap.

Buy it and take all us CHCH guys for a spin for kicks lol

Edited by HT.

Buy it and take all us CHCH guys for a spin for kicks lol

Haha, sadly if I get it it'll be coming up to Wellington

PM CrazyArab, he was seriously looking at this awhile back and said there still needed a few lil niggly things that needed to be tidyed up which was the reason why he didn't buy it. If you do buy, please do something about that intercooler piping! It drives me nuts!

Ca18dets are mint wee engines and are alot more free reving than the sr20 and are basically a 4 cylinder RB. It just sucks there is that much aftermarket support like there is or other Nissan engines.

Nothing wrong with a CA18 if it's set up correctly. Not exactly a massive power house, but, a good value for money engine and would be very well suited to an E30. I'd own it!

PM CrazyArab, he was seriously looking at this awhile back and said there still needed a few lil niggly things that needed to be tidyed up which was the reason why he didn't buy it. If you do buy, please do something about that intercooler piping! It drives me nuts!

Ca18dets are mint wee engines and are alot more free reving than the sr20 and are basically a 4 cylinder RB. It just sucks there is that much aftermarket support like there is or other Nissan engines.

I've had a chat to CrazyArab, cheers for the heads up. Whats wrong with the intercooler piping?

I've had a chat to CrazyArab, cheers for the heads up. Whats wrong with the intercooler piping?

It's windier than a roller coaster ride :P

I think it could be done a bit more efficiently.

Edited by crazyarab

I think this is a pretty cool alternative to a skyline or cefiro or what have you. With a few bolt ons, T28rs, you should have a nice and responsive street set up.

Turn it into this! Do Work

If you are guna do a conversion at least do a good job. 90degree bends doesn't really help the air flow

Ahh yeah, haha well that will be on my to-do list with a bunch of other things. Not really something major to me though as long as there is airflow.