Sign in to follow this  
bravo

WTB: Brand new battery for my e30

1991 e30 325i. Battery located in the boot. Battery that came out is one of those expensive DIN666's. The battery tray has heaps of room for a larger or different size battery.

Cheers

I can do a Century calcium DIN65 with 3 yr warranty for $250 incl Gst

Thanks Glenn,

will shop around up here and let you know. I'm down your way in a few weeks.

Cheers.

Guest Ari Gold

MOF, I got a Din666 from repco for $210 on boxing day when my old batt crapped itself and I was going places without a trickle charger, I didn't have time to shop around (and incidentally had $200 worth of vouchers) I doubt you're gonna get a much better price than Glenn said, they're a pretty big F- off battery.

Also, you might wanna pay attention to where the mounts for a battery are located in the tray if you're gonna swap sizes.

Just be careful that you are buying a Grade 1 battery with a 3yr warranty. Calcium ones are dearer and are better quality than acid filled type. There probably are cheaper ones out there though. Mine normaly retail for $252 +Gst

Thanks guys. As long as the positive lead raches I'm good. I have a longer-than-factory neg lead on their now as I'm borrowing a marine-grade cranking barttery out of the boat (fooking huge!). Held in with industrial cable ties. :D

I appreciate the advice Glenn. I want to buy a decent battery, but my info is that the DIN 66/65 sized batteries are more expensive due to there being less of a demand for them. So hoping to get something in a more common size that I can make fit.

I suppose if you are not driving the car often a high quality battery is essential, I put a new one in my E30 about six months ago, four of which it has been parked up, want to start it on the weekend and it’s as dead as a door nail, im thinking the tiny constant drain for my back up siren is responsible.

Would a high quality battery like you sell stay charged even when not being used for long periods of time Glenn?

A Din66/65 is the most common battery used in BMW's. Then theres the smaller Din53/55 & the larger Din85

No battery is going to last for ever without using the car. 4 months is too long for any battery that has even small amounts of necessary current draw to maintain clocks, alarms etc

Yeah mine died because I left it over winter.

I have a Projecta KM400R battery charger (it's 2.2A Automatic). I suppose I could just leave this plugged in all the time over winter when the car is mostly parked up?

Cheers.

Never leave a battery charger that doesnt switch off, on the battery for long periods. It will damage or boil the battery dry. There are several types of smart chargers available. I had one on the Ducati & Stabicraft. Both were hard wired and fused.

I've been really happy with the AA batteries i've bought. delivered, installed, tested and cheap if you are a member. They'll take away the old battery too.

They are a sealed battery with 3 year warranty.

Details Here

Repco batteries are Century batteries rebranded, same warranties etc

I suppose if you are not driving the car often a high quality battery is essential, I put a new one in my E30 about six months ago, four of which it has been parked up, want to start it on the weekend and it’s as dead as a door nail, im thinking the tiny constant drain for my back up siren is responsible.

Would a high quality battery like you sell stay charged even when not being used for long periods of time Glenn?

Also, ignoring car memory drain from the battery, a battery will also self discharge over time too.

They don't like not being used.

That said - the calcium batteries are a little more tollerent in sitting compared to the standard lead acid type