Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

Engine fixing time

so after a few track days the m20b25 isn't doing so well, its started to use a bit of oil, thanks to those in the e30 series that gave me some oil :)

symtoms are 190psi in 5 cylinders with 1 at 145psi

heaps of smoke on startup then very minimal

loss of power when pushing hard, every lap the change into 4th was about 20m more down the straight.

still alirght fuel economy

sounds like a rotor the day after any track day

problem's are cured with daily driving, only have the above problems during and the day after a track day.

its not overheating.

I was thinking, maybe getting a better head and bolting that on and also doing the timing belt, unless its the bottom end :unsure:

Edited by Jamez

Have you done an engine leakdown test? It may help pin point your problems.

Since it's startup, I would take a stab in saying it's your valve stem seals / guides... Oil leaking down into the cylinders when the engine is turned off, so when you start it up you get alot of blue smoke as the oil in the cylinders is burnt..

I had a 885 head rebuilt a few months back, new valve guides and seals and seats etc, total cost me like $500 including all the machine work and the new stem seals and guides, just full standard rebuild. Cleaned, skimmed, crack tested and all that hoo ha.

+1 your onto it Doug

You need to do that first James.... Hot & Cold

no, would be a good idea, but how much is it going to cost?

3SGE time perhaps

It would be the perfect time, but after taking the car round Hampton Downs, its made me want to work on making it handle over making it faster in a straight line. At the moment it handles like a dog.

Since it's startup, I would take a stab in saying it's your valve stem seals / guides... Oil leaking down into the cylinders when the engine is turned off, so when you start it up you get alot of blue smoke as the oil in the cylinders is burnt..

Thats the conclusion my dad and I came to, might just try for another head as the head needs a rebuild anyway.

The problem could just be the head, however before spending any money I would suggest diagnosing where the fault lies first. As I replyed before you need to carry out a cylinder leak test first to determine where the compression loss is. This can only be done while the engine is together. Its a waste of time putting a fresh head on an engine if the fault is caused by pistons or rings. It may have a case of severe blowby in the cylinder that is low on compression. You might end up finding you need to refresh the whole engine.

to get a test done?

To evaluate the engine condition properly and give you the right answers could take between 1 & 2 hrs with a report. I'd like to check it hot & cold if I was doing it