Sign in to follow this  
bmw325i

E36 Exhaust System options

After manualing the 328 i wanted to beef up the sound just a smidge to give it a bit of an aggresive sound but not loud and not droooooonnnny which does seem a bit niche but Glenn's compact sounds amazing IMO so would like a similar sound but don't want to keep spending money and time trying different tips.

I put the power pro on there which some of you may have heard but originally just a tip swap with that caused it to be 114db which was rediculous so put a 18 inch koby resonator in there which brought it down to about 92-94db and sounded good but was too drony round town and at low revs for my liking. Scott brought that so i tried something else...

Straight through from the headers to the factory tip thinking it would beef it up but wouldnt be too drony due to the factory tip having enough muffling in it to keep it quiet (hope that makes sense). BUT the car is now parked up because im too embarressed to drive it anywhere with the way it sounds haha. basically sounds like someone drunken chundering into one of those big empty milo tins. NOT nice at all.

Any suggestions to different systems or tips or things i could do to get a good sound?

Its booked in tomorrow to get returned fully to standard which i might just leave it as...

HELP

Check out BMW accessories on trademe, guy selling Milltek cat back for E36.

how would that sound Wayne? and were you meaning just the middle section or both parts and bolt the whole lot on?

Have heard them on youtube, very rare here and expensive new. Both bits Jase and bolt up. Only listed today good price even if second hand.

I went through soo many exhaust options and couldnt stand the sound/drone any of them.

Ended up buying a Remus from woolf mufflers. Was worth every cent and should have done it in the first place as i spent enough money playing with cheeper options.

The exhaust has a mint tone and zero drone! :-)

Talk to Jason (jason@woolfmufflers.co.nz) just let him know that Miles from Auckland Engineering Supplies Put you in contact.

He should be able to work something out.

Could I have a listen to yours by any chance Miles? before i go and splash into one lol. ?

Trade of is cost verses noise verses power gain. Cat back removes restrictive post cat crossover section. I find $700 for a rear muffler robbery, just for sound! You have restrictive manifolds,exhaust then into free flow rear box.

Yeah hence the reason i have held off on the remus tips... NOT cheap and im sure theres a way to get a nice sound and also freeing the sytem up a bit more for a slight power gain rather than paying big coin for one rear tip

Jase ... I love my sounds.. hardly ever have the sterio on... no need... awesome music. I had a thread on here a while ago trying to find out who made the Siebring mufflers like I've got... I couldnt find anything and no one else could. All I know is it came out of an E46 out off Singapore and was a OE type fit with all the right flanges, mount positions & even a balance mount on it.

Cheers Glenn, It will be hard to find something like that over here i'd imagine and to be perfectly honest I cant be bothered importing etc just for an exhaust.

What else is before the tip though? is it straight through from manifold to a couple of bullets and then the tip? or something different.

mate i have tried every! thing to find one of those but no deal. the closest ive got is the front half of the system which wont do sh*t :(

Trade of is cost verses noise verses power gain. Cat back removes restrictive post cat crossover section. I find $700 for a rear muffler robbery, just for sound! You have restrictive manifolds,exhaust then into free flow rear box.

Wayney in your opinion, who makes a well priced free flowing rear box?

(Or in anyone else's opinion too)

if you can afford it, go Milltek.... i would love a set....

mate i have tried every! thing to find one of those but no deal. the closest ive got is the front half of the system which wont do sh*t :(

I have a better idea, sell your car and buy an M3. Exhaust issues solved :ph34r:

I have a better idea, sell your car and buy an M3. Exhaust issues solved :ph34r:

:lol:

haha one day one day, will be a e46 csl tho

if you can afford it, go Milltek.... i would love a set....

They have some sharp deals at the moment, was quoted 1k for a full stainless system for the Megane, an extra $100 for the de-cat down pipe, so $1,100 for 15hp and added throttle response.

Before I order we should set up a group buy to see what we can all save.

Bimmersport member *Hans* is the guy to talk to.