Sign in to follow this  
bellicose

Define a 'boy racer car'

Ok, i want to know 'what is a boy racer car?'

Keep it civilized(sp?), no bitchin' or pointing fingers. It's just that i'm getting pretty annoyed that some people are stating myths as fact.

I for one think there's no such thing as a 'boy racer car' just the idiots that drive them.

GO.

I agree, it's mainly just the tools that drive them.

I think the public opinion is a boy racer car is usually a ricer, been lowered (possibly no springs at all) big bore exhaust and loud, chromies, loud boom box, and usually illegal with either no engineers cert for the mods or no WoF or rego.

My 2 cents as a member of the grey haired brigade.

The definition of a boy racer car, is a car owned by a boy racer.

The modifications carried out by boy racers on their cars often follow a pattern / trend therefore it can be easy to tell a boy racer's car apart from others

Well, Hi my name is Graham and I used to be a boy-racer, was pulled over seven times in one day in my racer back in the day.

Cut springs, primer, no wof/reg insurance, big exhaust for no reason, generally drove round like a wanker at full speed weaving in and out of traffic and tried racing everyone with no driving skills what so ever hence the damage.. 1997.

Posted Image

Glad they didn’t have the crushing rule back then.

It’s quite obvious as to who is a boy racer.

A car driven by a young male who races. So i guess all of my cars are boy racer cars.

On a more serious note, i think it's a car that's been modified to garner attention with little thought given to safety or consideration of other road users. E.g. As low as possible for as cheap as possible, loud cars, audio that can be heard outside the vehicle, etc

i don't think it's that specific really...

i think generally if you speak to people like my aunt or my parents...

if you mention wrx, evo = instant boy racer.

loud, lowered car = boy racer

legal or illegal mod's don't really matter people can't see - most people can't tell if your car is sitting on 20k of race suspension or no springs on the bump stops...

You can tell the difference there.Grahams car Above car is a 'boy racer car', Low as heck, illegal, just done to look bad ass I geuss. Then look at Grahams e30 Wagon, Tidy mods, wouldn't class that as a boy racer would you?

Though if his wagon was on its nuts, Big chromes etc, It probably would.

All depends what way the car is modified really.. As said by mark, it's the certain mods that stick out between an enthusiast car and a Boy racer

Edited by e30ftw

I for one think there's no such thing as a 'boy racer car' just the idiots that drive them.

This.

The car makes no difference at all.Just beacause somebody drives a xxx brand of car doesn't automatically make that car a 'Boy Racer Car'.

Its a term used to stereotype an age group of people or brand of car and is mostly used incorrectly.

/Thread.

I'd have to agree with whats been said above several times, Usually just the people that drive them/how they drive in certain situations... they don't get "theres a time and place for everything"

Having said that every GTS-t, EVO, WRX, GT4, with a loud is exhaust and "one of those things that sneeze when they change gears!" is an EXACT description of a boy racer car depending on who you ask,

It's all stereotypes at the end of the day to me, and how you personally see them i suppose?

Will be interesting to watch this thread lol

I think this is extremely biased.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_racer

Boy racers is such a touchy subject.

I'm just trying to point out, the typical "boy racer car" would not be a Toyota Avalon or a Daewoo. Or could be in some very odd cases.

Some cars are categorised into being a boy racer car, as they can be modified to go fast. I guess it's like a trend.

Edited by MS BM

A boy racer car is a boy racer car. Usually something heavily modified and most of the time not all legal.

They mod their car so much that it looks good and goes good but on the other hand they cant drive it.

A car enthusiast will do the same mods but generally all legit and legal, certed etc... These people have the looks, the goods and the brains... They keep their fun for the track.

Boy racers and their cars are all out there.... all in all they are just young boys with powerful toys they cant handle.

No enthusiasm just a big motor with a big ego.

i think you will find a car persons definition of a boy racer and a non-car persons definition will be very very different...

a car persons view will tend to try and create a differance between Blairs wagon and the rubbish cheap unsafe cars out there... a non car person will see Blairs car and go yup boy racer's car...

yup with whats being said, i recon "boy racer" is the name of the link between

- where i person modifies there car to be noticed

- and drives it irrationally to either be cool or to be noticed

and now its just been used as a label for both the visual mods and driving, sepratly aswell as combined, so in saying that the term has been opened and opened so now pretty much any moded car or crappy driver between the age of 17 and 28 is a boy racer.

my cents in

Would this qualify as a boy racer car?

It belongs to my 17 yr old son, big bore + sounds, got a brand new VTNZ WOF, comment on WOF sheet "Left front tyre MAY need replacing soon" He's never been pulled by the cops, they don't even look at it.

Which confirms in my mind that you CAN NOT define a 'boy racer car'

Posted Image

Edited by bellicose

this is my mates, this is a boy racer car in its simplest form, its even got the number plate (boyrcn) yes i know it makes it that much cooler!!

-

Cut springs

had a 15" Sub

17" chromes

metallic blue paint - (patchy work and some repainted spray can blue)

brought an engine that was fkd and he is refixing it to get (believe this) 700hp in it

and its even got some awsome blue neons inside!

post-4477-1259701853.jpg

Edited by paulie

It’s blatantly obvious who is a boy racer and who is not, if you are worried you are either a boy racer or a complete wanker that just like’s moaning.

From my experience its immaturity and insecurity, I had a complete lack of care or respect for anyone, was a spoilt little kid with no real understanding of responsibility and had no grasp on the real world, id say a social outcast. I was bullet proof, you could have told me anything and I wouldnt have listened, fines, meh throw them at m I didn’t give a f**k, hell I paid out over 10k in fines in the first few years of driving. 90% of these young guys are in the same mind frame I was. I can tell you this though, as sh*t as my car was I loved it and if the proposal of crushing it was presented I would have soon pulled my head in.

Years later I can look back and laugh at how immature I was and how silly I looked.

Edited by Apex

i don't think it's that specific really...

i think generally if you speak to people like my aunt or my parents...

if you mention wrx, evo = instant boy racer.

loud, lowered car = boy racer

legal or illegal mod's don't really matter people can't see - most people can't tell if your car is sitting on 20k of race suspension or no springs on the bump stops...

yep that's my thoughts too

certain cars have got that stereotype attached to them that's not going to go away for a long long time

my mate has an evo and he's far from being a boyracer

another mate has a Pajero and although it's not a stereotypical boyracer car, he sure acts and drives like a boyracer

I think to the lay-man (non-car enthusiast), anything changed/modified beyond the factory would get lumped into the "boy racer" category if you asked the question with a specific example infront of them.

Things like stock EVO's & WRX's can also get tar'ed with the same brush by association.

And a stock EE90 corolla can still be a "boy racer" car with the right clown behind the wheel.

If I parked my E30 somewhere and asked the question, I would say it would get the unfavorable "boy racer car" brand.

Given the facts, character reference, extent/detail/purpose of the modifications & intended use of the vehicle, the answer would be somewhat different, however, the public won't know that when you drive past, nor would Mr.Plod if he thought my exhaust was too loud or I was displaying excessive acceleration (in relation to what? the kia rio next to me at the time!!).

If I could afford/justify a tow vehicle (3rd vehicle) & trailer (and store it where), I wouldn't even use the E30 on the road (although it can be fun, albeit very anti-social).

Would this qualify as a boy racer car?

No, Clearly he doesn't drive like an idiot.

Awesome colour though. Would be nice to have a dad that could paint my car :)

Boy racers drive like idiots.

My dads workmates think my E30 is a boy racer car. Not sure where that came from :/

Edited by antil33t

My dads workmates think my E30 is a boy racer car. Not sure where that came from :/

Cause you're a boyracer, too much powershifting and you blew your phat ryd up.

AA insurance reckons a 320i E30 is a boyracer car :o

But on the other hand, i have a stock legacy rs twin turbo, and i have been labelled, and have had my car labelled as a boy-racer car. I do not race. I drive as legally as i can, i need my car and licence for work!

So some people have a lot of misconceptions i believe.

In saying that, does anyone at all have an idea why so many of those driving "souped up ricers" drive with their seats right back? I saw one the other day and i almost thought it was a 13yr old before i realised they were just leaning riiiiight back... i don't get it..