Sign in to follow this  
Docile

e36 sudden death while running

damn sis gave me such a birthday present today LOL.. just no break huh lol..

called me up and said my car had died suddenly while driving at 60km. she got the car to roll into a car park and called me. i went there to investigate, started the car it started for 5 secs normal idle then died. then wont start again.

got it towed home and suspected a fuel problem.

checked if the fuel pump was working, listening for the tick tick noise that its working.. but nothing..( like the one on the pelican parts technical thread) checked fuse for fuel pump its intact.

am i right to assume it is the fuel pump? it has not been replaced before since it was built in 95.

have had the crankshaft sensor die on me .. but when that happened the engine still ran but on safe mode.

Edited by Docile

started it this morning. started normal.. then died 30 secs after wtf!!!

i got it to rev up to 4k and all was fine.. after i idled it for 10 secs then it died...

ok kinda odd... my fuel pump has no return hose plugged in?? looked at fuel pumps on the net and there are 2 hoses on top of the fuel pump 1 out, 1 return. i only have out plugged in??.. is that normal?? mine has the connector on the pump but no hose plugged into it...

ok kinda odd... my fuel pump has no return hose plugged in?? looked at fuel pumps on the net and there are 2 hoses on top of the fuel pump 1 out, 1 return. i only have out plugged in??.. is that normal?? mine has the connector on the pump but no hose plugged into it...

yes some are like that.

there is a return line going to the left side fuel sender unit

time to buy an E30 and drop the engine into it :P

but agreed on the fuel. seems strange there is no return though :S

ahh cheers.. found the return... now just gotta find the part number for this fuel pump..

lol yeah been scouting round for a e30 :D

Edited by Docile

Call if you need a pump.

anyone know what part number it is? can't find the part number on the pumps top. or anyone know where abouts it is? dont wanna take it out without having the replacement.

my car: WBABF22020JA76250

Edited by Docile

anyone know what part number it is? can't find the part number on the pumps top. or anyone know where abouts it is? dont wanna take it out without having the replacement.

my car: WBABF22020JA76250

The chassis # helps of course. However I wouldn't go replacing the pump unless you actually know its faulty. I'm not saying your wrong, but reading the thread, you actually haven't diagnosed the fault to being the pump...it just seems your guessing....give me a call Ph. 2722546

just looking for the tester atm will check the line and fuse.. and also will need to replace it as well.. got a bit of crack at the base of the power slots and smells like gas nothing strong but yeh...

have taken out the fuel hose before the fuel filter and tried started it to see if the fuel would pump. fuel aint pumping / flowing so fault will be the pump or power line and not just a faulty sensor.

Edited by Docile

just looking for the tester atm will check the line and fuse.. and also will need to replace it as well.. got a bit of crack at the base of the power slots and smells like gas nothing strong but yeh...

have taken out the fuel hose before the fuel filter and tried started it to see if the fuel would pump. fuel aint pumping / flowing so fault will be the pump or power line and not just a faulty sensor.

Its common for the wiring on the sender unit and fuel pump to break. You can rewire them without replacing the pump. That is possibly what the fault is. If you are getting power feed to the pump, remove the pump and check continuity on the wiring if you cant see any broken wires. If your not sure, bring the pump over and I'll do it for you. Or just ring me

Dude,

I may be repeating just what some far wiser heads have said allready, but...............

Know it might sound really simple, but check the plugs on top if fuel pump, I went thru this a number of months back, got new pump from Ray, & had car sent to mech, pump played up few month later again, checked it myself this time & dirty rotten mechanic ( The EXCEPTION, not the RULE ) hadnt even changed it out..........charged me for it tho..........

I know this Glen as there was no evidence of pump being moved, displaced & the build up of road grime & debris made it plain to see, a reputable mech who looked at it commented same.

Turned out to be a poor connection from the plug, when it plays up car will idle, & rev when stationary, as soon as any load goes on it cuts out.

Fixed mine, cleaned plugs & retentioned clips, no repeat performance.

good luck

found the problem.

after doing the tester test and it passed i became pissed !! so decided to take it out. started hammering with a screw driver to remove the twist lock. i decided to start it again and it started !!. 30 secs idle. then it started to cough... i tapped the pump with the screw driver butt and idle went smooth again... waited 1 min and all good... reved it up to 4k lasted for 10 secs then started to die.. tapped the pump again and it went smooth again..

culprit: on the fritz pump / or got some debris inside the pump that clogged it up.

found the problem.

after doing the tester test and it passed i became pissed !! so decided to take it out. started hammering with a screw driver to remove the twist lock. i decided to start it again and it started !!. 30 secs idle. then it started to cough... i tapped the pump with the screw driver butt and idle went smooth again... waited 1 min and all good... reved it up to 4k lasted for 10 secs then started to die.. tapped the pump again and it went smooth again..

culprit: on the fritz pump / or got some debris inside the pump that clogged it up.

Sorry..it wont be...as I said it will be the wiring or the pump brushes inside the pump will be faulty ( not repairable) the tap test you just did proves that.

buy new pump? anyone know the part number?

Edited by Docile

buy new pump? anyone know the part number?

If its the wiring ... I can fix it for you

Retail is $478.15 + Gst

I can do one for $400.oo +Gst = $450.oo Incl

Edited by *Glenn*

ouch...

what part number is it? i got the blue top pump. i'll try and source out a 2nd hand first.

ouch...

what part number is it? i got the blue top pump. i'll try and source out a 2nd hand first.

Just ring ray.He posted up on the first page, Don't worry, He doesn't bite.