Sign in to follow this  
antil33t

More Engine Swap Woes.

Nearly done, new motors in the hole, all the pipes are on (hopefully)

just got to work out where this large lead directly from the positive of the battery goes?

does it goto the starter? which allready has a power wire on it....

Cheers.

There are two wires that go to the starter. Ones a big fat one and the other is abit smaller. They only fit on there respective studs

Yeah, the loom has 3 wires on a facelift. Fit on their own sized studs. That power lead goes to the one with the 13mm nut on the starter straight to the battery, shares the same stud as a wire coming from the loom (so theres 2 wires on that stud), 1 on the 10mm one and 1 on the 8mm one on top.

Edited by e30ftw

Sweet, that's working.

Now the problem is.... f**kING THING WONT START.

it just goes "CICK" of the starter engaging, but the motor won't turn over. EFEFEFUIWEHFUEFH

Was talking to a mechanic about it, and apparently I diddn't allign the torque convertor properly. apparently theres a method to it....

also the transmisison isn't plugged in maybe that might stop it?

any other ideas are greatly accepted.

Sweet, that's working.

Now the problem is.... f**kING THING WONT START.

it just goes "CICK" of the starter engaging, but the motor won't turn over. EFEFEFUIWEHFUEFH

Was talking to a mechanic about it, and apparently I diddn't allign the torque convertor properly. apparently theres a method to it....

also the transmisison isn't plugged in maybe that might stop it?

any other ideas are greatly accepted.

battery charged? it clicks (sounds similar to the indicators.. probably the same speaker) when it doesnt have enough juice. did you remove the shifter at all? check that is plugged in correctly. plug the tranny in aswell. not sure if it will make any difference as i havent had a car with it as you know but cant hurt seeing as you need to do it anyways! Have an alarm? might need to disengauge the imobiliser

Transmission not being plugged in wont change anything. All it would do is make it drive in limp mode probably.

usually if the starter isnt engaging with the ring gear for whatever reason it would make a horrible grinding sound as it tries to mesh but just rubs against it, put a spanner on the crank and make sure it turns over, sometimes if the torque converter and flexiplate arnt on properly you can jam them which will stop the motor from turning over.

Do you know the condition of the starter? Mabey it is not throwing the pinion out.

Also check the battery, a flat battery has the symptoms you described.

Plug the trans in anyway. It may or maynot cause a problem with the inhibitor switch if it is not plugged in.

Hmmm, so if the torque convertor isn't on the gearbox properly, the motor won't beable to turn over?

We can turn the motor over.

It's not making a "clickclickclick" noise like a flat battery... it's just going "CLICK" and is like it's unable to turn over.

Could still be the battery though.

Wouldn't the starter just freespin if it wasn't throwing out?

Have you checked the starter off the car? Check to see if it is working, or try using another one. If you can turn the engine over by hand then I'd say it is a starter issue, or battery.

If the starter wasn't throwing out far enough to engage on the gear it would sound like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eVtio58he8

EDIT: for noobness

Edited by Mark247

would be best if you can upload a video with sound

my 2c

Haven't tried the starter out the car, need to get the blasted thing out lol.

the starter doesn't sound like that, It's throwing out and stopping I beleve, I'll try get it out now.

I have another starter here, so it's not a biggie.

( I may have installed the wrong one )

Yea compare the gear size on each starter and check if they are the same. If they are different, there is your problem, if they are the same try the other anyway because you original one might be poked

also check you actually hooked up the big lead that powers the starter a friend had the same mistake on a 328

turn the engine over by hand (if you can) using the crank with the tranny in neutral. will be hard to crank because of internal friction, but not impossible or close to it

Have powered it correctly, Will try get the starter out soon. gonna try find a video camera for when I'm ready to video the problem.

Will a Manual M20 Starter start an auto M20?

Because, I have both, I think I may have mixed them up. thinking the starter on the floor is the auto one because it's pinion is still shiny, and the terminals have no corrosion...

but I wirebrushed the starter in the car before, because there was white stuff on the terminal.

All M20 starters interchange - manual/auto are the same. Early (big) & late (small reduction type) interchange freely.

I have never had an issue with aligning flex plate & can't really see how you should.

Having said that - maybe it is misalighned somehow.

May be a starter fault (if you have two & one is unknown)

May be an connection fault - have you connected the engine - chassis earth?

Have you got good battery voltage/have you tried another battery or jumper leads from a known good one?

Have you got good voltage at starter?

Won't be transmission wiring related.

If all above are good - need to remove the starter to check clearances etc

May be an connection fault - have you connected the engine - chassis earth?

Have I connected any? nope... Duuuuuhhhhhhhhh.

I'll fix it up tomorrow, it's dark now haha.

I'm a tard :rolleyes:

Disconnect the starter from the engine and pull it away a bit, but keep it wired up and see if it turns over freely. If it goes wizzzzz then you know it's wired up properly and it's either not the correct starter, or you have a more serious problemo.

EDIT: You haven't connected up the earths? OH COME ON RICHARD lol.

Edited by Mark247

I'm real tempted to go see if this fixed it, but if it does work, it's got no exaust on it... just the exaust headers haha.

I'm real tempted to go see if this fixed it, but if it does work, it's got no exaust on it... just the exaust headers haha.

nothing like an M20 dumping straight out of the headers :P

nothing like an M20 dumping straight out of the headers :P

But for some reason the old lady next door didn't like my m50 with no exhaust when I first got it going doing burnouts up my driveway =S

Some people...

Damn old people... Yeah I live next door to about 3 flats. One of the dudes who is all G and looks at me funny each time is a truck driver or something, and gets home about 9pm and goes to bed.

Damn old people... Yeah I live next door to about 3 flats. One of the dudes who is all G and looks at me funny each time is a truck driver or something, and gets home about 9pm and goes to bed.

stalker much?