Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

MT2 bootlid (e30)

what can i adjust to make the lip pop open? my standard lid opened when you popped it, the MT2 you have to hold it open it wont stay open by itself. i cant seem to see any way to adjust the spring lever things at the back <_<

hmm, this could be interesting.. mine doesn't pop open either, would be nice if it did though.

extra weight possibly if youve added it to factory bootlid? never held a tech II spoiler so dunno if the weight would be a problem.

You take both the rear torsion bars out of the boot and twist them to give them more tension in the lift position. They are made from spring steel, but over time loose there tension. There is NO adjustment

Edited by *Glenn*

extra weight possibly if youve added it to factory bootlid? never held a tech II spoiler so dunno if the weight would be a problem.

It probably weighs next to nothing.. its just fiberglass or plastic or something and i cant tell a difference in weight between standard with the little factory spolier and the MT2

You take both the rear torsion bars out of the boot and twist them to give them more tension in the lift position. They are made from spring steel, but over time loose there tension. There is NO adjustment

that explains it. thanks man

Going to try this when i can...

Since we are on topic of bootlids and mounting.. What would make a boot lid wobble side to side? Should it be like that or what? It's not too bad but it does move about 1cm side to side. Can't remember if my 325i's boot was like this :S

Edited by e30ftw

Since we are on topic of bootlids and mounting.. What would make a boot lid wobble side to side? Should it be like that or what? It's not too bad but it does move about 1cm side to side. Can't remember if my 325i's boot was like this :S

do you have all four bolts in? that would be the most obvious reason. tighten them up as well and see what happens

mtech 2 has an extra mounting on the sides underneath, check that you have them

I had the same problem on the race car when I changed the boot lid over, with it wobbling about. The problem I found was the latch part in the centre of the boot which engages in the catch was loose and wouldn't stay tight no matter how much I adjusted it and the rubber mounts at each corner of the boot. When I changed it for a better one it stayed tight and in position curing the wobbling around.

The torsioon bars (or springs if you want to call them that) are different between the standard boot and tech II boot to count for the extra weight of the spoiler. It's not all that heavy, but it has alot of leverage being on the trailing edge of the boot, and the springs are only just strong enough to do the required job. When I did my boot, I swapped the springs over first before installing the spoiler, and it came up so fast I just about smacked myself in the chin when I popped the boot with no spoiler on the back.

If you don't have the tech II springs, twisting the standard ones will only be temporary. They will sag again, and its a PITA job to be removing them - you only really want to do it once.

I don't have the tech2 wing, I preffered not to put mine on and sell it instead.. but the boot arm things have alot of wobble in them. And the latch does have issues too. Have to slam it hard to close. It used to move to the side and scrape the paint of the edge cos it wobbled.

the wings do make a difference, my flatmates one was fine until he put the t2 wing on and then same problem as above.