Sign in to follow this  
E30AFFIAR

e30 rear speakers

Just wanting to put in some better speakers in the back to replace my factory ones, what size is a good fit and also can anyone recommend any good speakers they are using? cheers

the stock rear speakers are 4", you can fit 6.5" with spacers easily enough though.

Posted Image

Edited by antil33t

I say no to rear speakers altogether lol.

My E30 with good sounds has 5.25 DLS Components in the front, 10inch Image dynamics sub in the boot along with an Infinity Reference 4 Channel amp running it all, this type of setup sounds awesome for the $.

My other E30 has 6x9's in the back, some coxial 5.25's in the front and it sounds like crap to be honest, its only running the speakers from the headunit, but from my experience cheap speakers sound cheap, infact the sounds so crap that I'm taking the car with good sounds to Queenstown tomorrow, despite it only being a 320i auto, I take that over the 325i manual for sounds alone hehe.

Ive got 6x9s just didnt want to run a bulky sub in the boot. Make sure you dont cut into the metal under the rear parcel tray !!

Ive got 6x9s just didnt want to run a bulky sub in the boot. Make sure you dont cut into the metal under the rear parcel tray !!

+1 this is a WOF Fail

You can use spacers to fit 6x9's in the back without cutting.

Ideally you need an AMP to drive these speakers properly though.

+1 this is a WOF Fail

Yep the only way to install 6x9's into E30 due to their shelf setup but an absolute waste of time with the spacers as the speakers will never perform properly when enclosed like that.

Decent 6" or 6.5" mounted into shelf or none

+1 this is a WOF Fail

Yer im working on that part :D

door mounted ftw! back speakers are a must. stereos sound horrible with just front speakers - sub (or two :P) in the boot or not.

Posted Image

Get some of these for the front too :)

That must be a small magnet on that, to avoid hitting the window when it goes down?

I was looking into building some pods for all 4 doors & putting 6" speakers on each door... One day :rolleyes:

^ mine are in the same position. they are just standard sized speakers. that is the only position they can go though, as its the only place that doesnt have metal on the door, and doesnt have the window motor there. I actually installed mine without even thinking of the window, and luckily it fitted though!

I say no to rear speakers altogether lol.

My E30 with good sounds has 5.25 DLS Components in the front, 10inch Image dynamics sub in the boot along with an Infinity Reference 4 Channel amp running it all, this type of setup sounds awesome for the $.

My other E30 has 6x9's in the back, some coxial 5.25's in the front and it sounds like crap to be honest, its only running the speakers from the headunit, but from my experience cheap speakers sound cheap, infact the sounds so crap that I'm taking the car with good sounds to Queenstown tomorrow, despite it only being a 320i auto, I take that over the 325i manual for sounds alone hehe.

i used to run a similar setup in my e46 with jbl components in front and a 10" sub mou ted in the parcel tray, it does sound good as you get all your sound from infront of you, i hate rear speakers that play all the music and that is all you can hear is music behind you. although i do think you need to have some rears tuned quite low on the amp, just to offer some mid bass and to contrast between the fronts and the sub.

That must be a small magnet on that, to avoid hitting the window when it goes down?

Yeah, it's quite a shallow speaker. it's quite a big magnet still. It's a chode magnet.

best speakers i found for the cheapest price were 6" speakers out of a range rover HSE ( which has an awesome stock sound system.) ran it to an amp and runs real good i think anyway. then again i don't know much about the sound system and this cost me $20 but sounds way beter than the original.

i have 5 1/4 dds amped in the rear of my car there a good speaker cost me $240 for the pair with tweeters and crossovers from the states

I've got some brand new Image Dynamics CTX5 for $90+ shipping (or pick up from the Nth Shore). They're 75rms and sound pretty damn good. I don't like the grills though, would be better to try and retain the factory grill for that clean look.

I run a pair as rears in my e39

WOW. You guys spend alot on speakers. I got some 6.5" 3way 500W speakers off trademe for $50 a pair. Included a crossover per speaker & they are very loud & clear, best speakers I've ever had.

Brand new is, Performance Technique.

Edited by Shady

WOW. You guys spend alot on speakers. I got some 6.5" 3way 500W speakers off trademe for $50 a pair. Included a crossover per speaker & they are very loud & clear, best speakers I've ever had.

Brand new is, Performance Technique.

I've got 500w on tap if you want to test their rating!

I only wish I could listen to $50 speakers and enjoy them. I'd be so much less in debt.

i got 1950W on tap :P

My Alpines were something like 400 bucks.... They sound like total poos running off the headunit too.

I only wish I could listen to $50 speakers and enjoy them. I'd be so much less in debt.

? You dont have to spend 100's to have quality. If you were local I'd happily show you what they are like. Not gonna win a sound-off contest BUT would be close (running off headunit at 50w per speaker, its damn loud & clear, need to turn the "Low" setting on headunit down to stop the Bass from extorting the speaker - if I go over a certain volume level). I will get some photos of them (still have a pair not installed yet). Will be getting an amo for them oneday, maybe when I install the other 2 in the doors.

Edited by Shady

I wasn't taking the piss. Simply saying that I could do with spending alot less on speakers.

I seriously doubt you could even get remotely close to impressing Rogan with $50 generic speakers.

you get what you pay for, everytime, 50$ speakers = rubbish quality , rubbish materials used, budget coils, might sound good for a month run at 45w but after this the leading brands will own every time.