Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Car running badly.

This is my 325i, in this video the car is fully warmed up, am giving it tiny blips of the throttle, you will hear that its knocking etc, it also makes this knocking sound when turning off the engine at times, car seems to drive ok, but bucks a bit when cold.

Near the end of the video I do the same test on my 320i, the difference between how the 2 cars run is night and day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZjH61fsG68

Anyone have any suggestions of where to start looking for the problem? I sprayed fluid around the hoses etc and found no leaks in the air intake boot etc.

and if you slowly put your foot on the accelrator it doesn't do it?

Mine does that too.

and if you slowly put your foot on the accelrator it doesn't do it?

Mine does that too.

Still does it when driving the car sometimes. so yes..

Does yours also make that knocking sound when you turn the engine off?

Mine does this too, but it is a 310,000km motor. At the end of the day it is a 20/25 year old motor, unless it is very unlikely but it has been rebuilt. Most m20s by now have worn cams, rockers etc etc, I've got to the point where I just ignore it now, save the money trying to fix it and m5x. The money you will spend on a m20 rebuild probably 2k ish, is your m50 conversion done and dusted. Just my 2c

Just made a quick video.

Similar result, but you don't have the knocking/pinging sound and your engine shutdowns normally.

i could make a video of the sound I get when turning off engine I guess.

My car is exactly the same as in your first video, seems to be like its going to die out after blips on the throttle. Been trying to figure it out for ages now

With yours I'd be most worried about the knocking noise than the hesitation... Mine once it warms up isn't so bad at all.

sort of annoying for me as I've only just put this motor in... Ahh well..

Edited by antil33t

With yours I'd be most worried about the knocking noise than the hesitation... Mine once it warms up isn't so bad at all.

sort of annoying for me as I've only just put this motor in... Ahh well..

yes, the knock is what i'm really concerned about, thought perhaps timing could be a problem? I have the factory ecu chip back in it too, I took the speedtouch one out so that I could cancel that out as being a potential problem..

That sounds pretty logical actually.

A mates dad (mechanic) pointed that out to me. I think mines running too lean.

That sounds pretty logical actually.

A mates dad (mechanic) pointed that out to me. I think mines running too lean.

me too im running lean which way do you turn the screw ?

me too im running lean which way do you turn the screw ?

No Idea, I think I'll get someone who knows what they're doing to adjust it :D

http://www.dtmpower.net/forum/e30-3-series...nning-rich.html

Third post from the top - potential solution?

Are you watching me or something? I was just reading that page.

Ok, say its running Rich or Lean, how do I deal with that? I had a play with the mixture screw on the AFM and it didn't seem to do much.

I thought that maybe the AFM was adjusted in someway for when it was on the 2.7 engine.. to add more fuel..

The thing is.. my car does run Rich, you should see the black crap I get on my nice white bumper.

In that thread, right at the bottom

The ONLY thing you can do on the AFM is to adjust the idle mixture which is a small Allen keyed shaft on the top of the meter close to the bellows. The might be a rubber stopper over the adjustment hole, but on most E30's its long gone. Wind it in (clockwise or down) makes the idle mixture richer, winding it out leans it.

Clockwise, makes it richer, anti-clockwise = leaner.

The knocking/tappets/everything under the sun banging underneath can be reduced with thicker oil also.

Doh "Off-idle mixture is controlled by the ECU and you cannot adjust it." so its not going to help my white bumper..

The knocking/tappets/everything under the sun banging underneath can be reduced with thicker oil also.

25w-60 ?

I used 15/40w on a 165km M40, for my 310km M20 I will probably use 20/25w

sounds like the ?thurst bearing? try turning the car off with your foot on the clutch/ my car makes that noise if i turn it off when clutch is disengaged. just a thaught

sounds like the ?thurst bearing? try turning the car off with your foot on the clutch/ my car makes that noise if i turn it off when clutch is disengaged. just a thaught

Your right, I just tried it now..

well its most of the noise anyway..

The car has Nolathane engine mounts and lightened flywheel, the spigot bearing was replaced when engine fitted to my exisiting gearbox.. i assumed spigot bearing was thrust bearing.. is it normal ?

That screw on the AFM isn;t something you turn and 'adjust'. IIRC, From the master 'Jordan' himself, that needs to be adjusted with the use of an exhaust analyzer. It's set and blocked from factory to not be changed, but most AFM I have seen have that bung pulled out and everyone tries to turn it. It's not something you can adjust yourself anyways.... I would leave that alone.

Sounds like pinging though?

Lightened flywheel.. That adds some gearbox chatter and bellhousing rattle eh ?

Edited by e30ftw

I have just fitted urethane engine mounts in my car and it is alot rattlier at idle I will admit.