Sign in to follow this  
bravo

Anyone had experience with a w210 e55 amg?

I'm trying to get my boss to pony up with a new company car for me. If he doesn't, then I'm looking to buy a facelift e39 540i m-sport around May.

I was just doing a bit of a trademe browse and realised that the Mercededs w210 e55 AMG is about the same price with a tad more grunt.

Anyone able to comment on these cars?

Comfort levels, useability, standard of materials, repair and maintenance problems and costs, performance, and so on.

The plan is to get a more or less unmodified car less than 10 years old with a bit more space than the e30, that the missus can daily, and will handle long trips with ease.

I find that now the e30 is such a raucous weapon, I need something a bit quieter and modern for some things, and something a bit more practical. Want to be able to tow a small trailer, but still have enough grunt (so looking mainly at v8's). Needs to be super comfortable with a really nice interior, and big enough to throw a bit of gear in the back.

Also looking at e60's and e65's but I suspect that the ones in my price bracket will be under-powered. At this stage looking to spend less than $25k. So if you can suggest anything else I should be looking at, that's be good too.

Guest Simon*

MOF I won't talk to you if you buy a Merc

Get the E39, or ask me in May if I want to sell mine :ph34r:

Haha. Def don't want an e34. Even though I was loving being taxied around in Ollies on Friday night.

2.7 twin turbo diesel 407 wagon with the glass roof... 440Nm OF TORQUE @ 1,900RPM and 6 speed porsche design automatic

Five bucks to whoever puts a massive insulation tape BMW Roundel on Heath's pug (on the rear window)

Why not E39 M5? there is one in TM for $29.5k (private) with 150000kms on the clock.

You'll get E65 (730, 735) for that money, and E60 520 (with 2.2l engine).

Guest Simon*

The likes of this could be within your budget at time of buy too

(am cursing myself a little for the VAG-plug but here)

Posted Image

I know you’re not silly but do some research into proper maintenance and common wear items then check how comfortable you are with each cars running’s costs.

As an example I could afford the purchase price of an E60 but could not afford the annual maintenance costs or even worse, I would have been unable to afford the repair cost if something major failed.

Just something to consider when choosing an older “premium†car.

Dare I say VZ SS commodore? I've driven a few with and without trailors and they are brilliant. Very nice and underated car, comfy, quiet when cruising, handle better than you expect and they don't break much and easy cheap power is always there if you get bored.

I know you’re not silly but do some research into proper maintenance and common wear items then check how comfortable you are with each cars running’s costs.

As an example I could afford the purchase price of an E60 but could not afford the annual maintenance costs or even worse, I would have been unable to afford the repair cost if something major failed.

Just something to consider when choosing an older “premium” car.

+1... be very careful Graham... things to consider.. suspension (especially air), soft locking, transmissions, oil leaks, wiring looms ( engine, headlight & trans looms) Depending on how its spec'ed... heaps of things to consider.

My opinion...... BMW's have a better build quality and are more reliable.. however ...there is no way I would consider an import E65

Thats a Nice Audi,I prefer that shape to one of an E39 ;) Im not sure what I would buy of the above. But it would be the lowest k's, latest model car for the $$ I had to spend.

I also prefer to buy from a car yard when it comes to cars worth more than 10k, Just personal preference tho.

I simply don't like those A4s. They have minimal space and cost a fortune to repair, like $3k on a 60k NZ new one for a clutch. I do like the E55, but based on a friends S55 Kompressor, suspect they are even worse. At least they sound good though.

At least they sound good though.

You can get real good "sound" for about $2,000 though.... and fit it into anything.... or get married... then you will definately have "sound" & "noise"

Some really good advice there Glenn and Graham (Apex). Which more or less rules out the e60/5 but not the e39. No idea about e55, but I imagine it might not be cheap, hence the question.

Trust me Glenn, with a partner and a 20 month old toddler, I have all the "sound and noise" I need at home, hence why a bellowing V8 appeals.

A friend had a lesser model AMG for a couple of years and as much as he loved it commented that the maintenance costs far outweighed the pleasure of ownership, in fact, he spent most of the time driving a Toyota Corolla whilst he owned it. 90’s Mercedes are not built like they used to.

[sarcasm]The E39 makes a much better car as there are 2.4 million of them in NZ, yes every second household in low social demographic Auckland has one so parts are plentiful and easy to maintain when they inevitably fall apart at about 10 years of age. I managed to fix eight WOF failed items for under a grand on mine using quality worn second hand parts, now that’s value… they needed replacing less than two years later but that’s not the point.[sarcasm]

Thats a Nice Audi,I prefer that shape to one of an E39 ;) Im not sure what I would buy of the above. But it would be the lowest k's, latest model car for the $$ I had to spend.

I also prefer to buy from a car yard when it comes to cars worth more than 10k, Just personal preference tho.

This.

There are seriously some far superior modern cars to the E39 for 25-30k. I was offered a NZ new 2008 Subaru Legacy GT with leather FSH and 35,000km for well under 30k yesterday, that’s a good car that’s 1.5 years old with 1.5 years worth of warranty on it.

I didn't realise this was the Subaru club?

I know exactly where you are coming from Graham, but any car I buy still has to reflect my personal taste in automobiles. A 2008 Subaru doesn't do it for me I'm afraid. Neither do Holden's or Fords TBH.

This is not a purely financial transaction - it's an emotional one too to some extent.

I'm not about to go out and buy the first money pit I like the look of, but if I can find something reasonably reliable and affordable to maintain that has some of the emotional qualities I'm after, then that is a much better proposition.

Guest Simon*

"Blah blah FL E39 540 Motorsport blah goodies blah widescreen blah" was all I just heard ;)

That's why I love you Simon. You know me too well.

For sure I couldn’t buy a Subaru Legacy either, they are great cars and do everything well but as you say lack personality, they are a car that 'car people' don’t buy but recommend to everyone else.

Get an E30.

Guest Ari Gold

Subaru - great cars, but no soul, and as Graeme 2 elucidated, the kind of car car people recommend to everyone else.

Audi - I wouldn't touch them unless they were badged RSx, simply too boring and playing catch up to BMW for me (x standing for either 2, 4 or 6)

Mercedes - build like tanks in the 80's, their reliability and quality really suffered in the late 90's early 00's, have any car of that vintage checked with a fine took comb. The E55K's have one of the mintest sounds ever though!

BMW - well, that's why we're here :D for that sort of money, I'd buy an E39 M540i with all the boxes ticked. Might not fall under your company car scheme, but hey, it's worth a shot. As Graeme 2 says, there are plenty of newer cars out there for the same money that do things even better, but they're most likely boring as a black and white weather report.

Just don't get a silver one :D

Edit: speeling

Edited by Ari Gold