Sign in to follow this  
flake

M50 spark plugs

how often should you change them? i've heard of people that replace them every oil change/wof.

reason being is two of mine are slightly oxidised, engine was sitting for a while before i brought it for my converion. and it seems like one less problem to do later so i'll just replace them all now. but what has stopped me doing this myself is my spark plug socket doesn't fit into the spark plug barrel. do i need the factory spark plug extension? tried my m20 one which doesn't fit either. motor is a m50b25 single vanos. any help please?

and when i do replace them what brand do you reccomend?

thanks

Check the dealer - got my last set from there and it wasn't too over the top. I think it was about $10 per plug for my m52.

put in some irridiums. ( I think thats how its spelt.) they will last longer, although more expensive. But it means longer between messing around changing them.

I dont get all the hype about irridiums and those other plugs with the 4 prongs / spark gaps. The spark is only going to jump to one place, not 4.

Just get some OEM ones and be done with it.

Edited by turboprop

thanks, i'll go see the dealer.

next problem how do i get the old ones out? like i sed, my spark plug socket from my socket set won't fit into the spark plug barrel. kerry how'd you get on with yours? do i need the factory socket extension?

Edited by flake

thanks, i'll go see the dealer.

next problem how do i get the old ones out? like i sed, my spark plug socket from my socket set won't fit into the spark plug barrel. kerry how'd you get on with yours? do i need the factory socket extension?

Had mine changed at a garage as the car was still under warranty and i haven't changed them since! I'm sure someone on here will know the answer or could try googling it? I'll find my haynes book and have a look for you.

I just use the sparkplug socket that came with my powerbuilt socket set. A tube socket would work, but it wont have the grippy bit in the end to hold the sparkplug.

E30's are 13/16 or 21mm spark plug sockets

E36's are 16mm spark plug sockets... get a magnetic one

We use Bosch YTTRIUM plus FR 7 LDC on E36's $13 + Gst each or YTTRIUM FGR 7 DQP $25.63 + Gst

Edited by *Glenn*

thanks glenn, my tool must be a 21mm then

You need the FR 7 LDC plugs for your car or you can use NGK BKR6EK

Make sure you put a little copper slip on the spark plug threads when you fit them into an alloy head

Edited by *Glenn*

I dont get all the hype about irridiums and those other plugs with the 4 prongs / spark gaps. The spark is only going to jump to one place, not 4.

Just get some OEM ones and be done with it.

OEM are just NGK spark plugs in a BMW box

The 4 tip plugs prevent "high speed" missfire. The front tip for reverse, the rear for forward, the L/H for R/H corners and the R/H tip for L/H corners. You have to line them up when you fit them

Edited by *Glenn*

thanks glenn, my tool must be a 21mm then

i have some e36 6cyl spark tools

The 4 tip plugs prevent "high speed" missfire. The front tip for reverse, the rear for forward, the L/H for R/H corners and the R/H tip for L/H corners. You have to line them up when you fit them

Glenn, my car seems to lose some power when I turn corners, so would it solve this problem if I used 4 tip plugs, and which ones do you recommend.

Glenn, my car seems to lose some power when I turn corners, so would it solve this problem if I used 4 tip plugs, and which ones do you recommend.

No it wont help your car Brian. We all know whats wrong with your car.... it needs 3 pedals :P

Im not sure if you are been serious or taking the piss, but that sounds like bullshit to me.

Im not sure if you are been serious or taking the piss, but that sounds like bullshit to me.

Scientist's at Kazakhstan's most premier University have infact found the 4 corners of a cylindrical object. They forwarded this information onto Glenn at Botany Motor Works so M50 iridium spark plugs are installed correctly.

Edited by Mark247

In some respects you might be right (maybe) Its taken all day for responses.. amazed me really. There is a reason for this design... I was waiting for the smart asses to find the answers on google or bebo and then tell me I was bullshitting... now tell me... WAS I and if so why did they do it ???

Scientist's at Kazakhstan's most premier University have infact found the 4 corners of a cylindrical object. They forwarded this information onto Glenn at Botany Motor Works so M50 iridium spark plugs are installed correctly.

Well there is bit of a science to it, people do "clock" spark plugs, so that the earth strap is pointing in the correct location. I think its popular with the V8 guys, iirc having the earth strap pointing at the exhaust valve is optimal, but thats with a 2v head.

But I cant imagine the small g forces a car manages to pull that it would affect where the spark wants to jump to, and sounds like crap to me. (no offence to glenn)

In some respects you might be right (maybe) Its taken all day for responses.. amazed me really. There is a reason for this design... I was waiting for the smart asses to find the answers on google or bebo and then tell me I was bullshitting... now tell me... WAS I and if so why did they do it ???

I believe they just do it for longetivity, it should last 4x longer than one with only 1 earth strap.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by turboprop

Well there is bit of a science to it, people do "clock" spark plugs, so that the earth strap is pointing in the correct location. I think its popular with the V8 guys, iirc having the earth strap pointing at the exhaust valve is optimal, but thats with a 2v head.

But I cant imagine the small g forces a car manages to pull that it would affect where the spark wants to jump to, and sounds like crap to me. (no offence to glenn)

Your now starting to use your brain grasshopper :P or google

Try thinking... hemi head, 4 valves, induction flow, induction speeds.... does that help... I'm not giving the answer... I want it from someone on here... with technical proof

Oops and chamber swirl/flow

Oh... and think about the path that electricity takes... and why

Edited by *Glenn*

It hurts.

It also hurts reading some of the crap we are daily bombarded with in here too... try hurting for a change... you might get the idea