Sign in to follow this  
Shady

OMG Lucky I dont have anger problems lol

Was on smoko at work tonight (15min at 8pm) and one my dinner break (previous at 630pm) I parked my car on the tarseal as I parked on the grass as park was full...and on smoko saw a small oil patch under my car W...T...F! looked underneath and there is this TINY (pinhole size almost) hole in about 3cm from the bung. Cheaked dipstick, on the LOW mark so has been dripping all day (nice lil patch on the grass :lol: ) So rang the boss, asked if we could have a 1hr break so I could remedy it, he said go for it (so thats 1hr that we had to shut down - me & my work mate)... SO what did I do?

I jacked it up (with the small piddly factory winder jack), found a big square bottle in the workshop (a lil hunting around), found a 17mm ring spanner (no sockets anywhere!) undone the bung, drained it out (what a b-tch, took ages for 1.5L!) Once was all drained, bung back in, cleaned it all up and....sanded the sump... then put a nice big patch of BOG on it...HAHAH :lol: YES Bog. Hope Im not the first to do this :unsure: but I had NO choice. At work 20min drive from home, no way anyone would tow me home at 1030pm as thats when I lock up. But got home all good & bog was all dry before end of the night. Just lucky Imoved it onto the tarseal or I would not have seen the oil leak & would of just driven off at 1030pm with probably no oil and seazed the damn thing.

Only clue I have as to how the hole got there, is a stopped at a dairy on way to work and was a couple popholes in the dirt outside with gutter which is higher than the dirt so I think I rubbed it. Sump has a small, very small, dent & a few tiny scratch marks around the hole. Still cant get over how small it is.

Sooooo...does anyone know if its worth getting a small patch welded over it? maybe grind the hole bigger so they cant make a nice patch rather than a small one? Since its alloy, I assume it be more technical & cost more blah blah? Just, is it possible - Yes/No - professional advise please (dont answer if you dont know for sure).

So as title says, lucky I dont have anger problems or I would of smashed this car up by now ---- in the Demo Derby! But done so much so far, I cant sell up or I'd lose so much $ I might as well keep going :(

PS: I would add a photo of "not so pro" bog job (not easy bogging, upside down :lol:) but my PC just wont recognise my camera anymore for some f'd up reason (cant put any photos on anywhere!)

hey dude, if the sump isn't too old an corroded, then it should be an easy weld job. I had a huge crack in the sump welded for $20 a couple of years back, but they said if the alloy was too old they'd just blow holes in it. So as long as there is good metal, and you remove it and take it in, it'll cost you f-all plus the cost of a gasket and some gasket goo,plus your time.

Hows that for advice at 12:40am?

hahah shot bro. Yeah, its all nice as, just needs a good scrub to clean off the old grease/oil and it be shiny again (looks as new, got it off Forrest when I first joined up on here).

Will look into it in the weekend. Wont be able to do much during the week (work 2pm-1030pm) and live to far from work to have car off the road (unless I get my motorbike going again, tomorrow night mission), see how long the bog holds out for now anyway (might keep adding to it if it seems to be falling apart :lol:) and just ring around see who is keen for the job. Must be some with a spare bit of time for a quick job :)

As Graham has stated...you will need to take the sump off to get it welded properly. It needs to be thoroughly clean to weld alloy. It can't be done in place.

Alloy will cost you a little bit more than mild steel to get welded up yes, The welder and consumables required for welding aluminium cost more than normal steel. I work in the welding supply industry for what its worth.

that said,it shouldn't be to expensive.

Did you climb underneath the car with it just up on the factory jack?! Dodgy as man, people have been killed when jacks have failed and dropped the car on top of them :wacko:

Did you climb underneath the car with it just up on the factory jack?! Dodgy as man, people have been killed when jacks have failed and dropped the car on top of them :wacko:

+1... not very sencible under any situation

Didnt go right under it. Just had my arm, sump isnt that far under (I could see it from outside of under car but needed it higher to drain it then bog it). Didnt go right under it.

Edited by Shady

I've had the Factory jack fail on me numerous times. One time it even pull my tech2 sideskirt and front fender pod off with it. Lucky all times I had the wheels on and wasn't under the car.. My car was low enough it would have completely crushed me.

Just went to see my oldest nephew, he works with welders but none of them do alloy but we then went to see his mate that might, he didnt but his boss will. $20 (so Bravo is pretty spoton price wise :D ) and he will put a patch on it. SHOT! Do it on Monday as cant ask for a day off with out some warning (take it off Sunday & scrub it nice n clean). Cheers with the tips guys :)

if your guy doing it falls through , i will be able to do it for you.

OK will let you know. Am going in this morning to get it done. Got the sump off the car ready to go so hopefully no problems.

All is done. Took them 10mins to fill in the hole, looks good - charge dme $10 instead of $20, so Im happy. Just refit it with a new seal & just waiting for the sealant to dry then fill the oil back up and all go again. Am putting a sump gaurd on soon so this will never happen again :D