Sign in to follow this  
HELLBM

How long does it take?

E30 M4 Cambelt, waterpump,tensioner,radiator,termostat replacement.

We say easily 3-4 hours.

What do others think?

Can do in 2 hrs Ray if all goes to plan, water pump can be a pain, then it takes a bit longer. Have done cam belt in an hr. If you allow 3 to 4 hrs you'd be well covered.

Thanks Dave. Just had a look at a young guys Invoice for work done by a garage which will not be named yet.

They have charged him $1800 which includes parts and 8 hours labour. His car would have to be one of the most origional kiwi new 318 manuals I have seen. They have left it with scratches on the gaurds (no gaurd covers) ,bonnet sound deadning now has chunks out of it and grease bootmarks on the drivers mat.

My guestimate for the job (3-4 hours)was being conservative.

He got ripped off bad really.

I paid only $200 more and got:

M20B27 taken out (had to take out gearbox with it due to stubborn bolt, removed from engine once it was out)

M20B25 put in, but with new cambelt, waterpump, tensioner, oil seals, new radiator, all new hoses.

So alot more labour, also those radiator hoses were not cheap, it all adds up.

I'd be looking at around 3hrs to do it if I was quoting on it. Thats doing it properly, taking the rocker cover off and setting up the cam timing properly with the camshaft and crankshaft locking tools. If it was $1800 just to do a cambelt, tensioner, idlers and waterpump, he got severely ripped off, unless theres more to it ?

Include radiator and belts and you have it. I inspected the car before he bought it . Was in beautiful cond. He`s one of my sons mates so I`m extra f...kin pissed that an established garage can do that.

Parts are about $5-600 with $150 labour And it comes in at $7-800.

Edited by HELLBM

I certainly would be p*ssed off with myself if I took longer than 2 hrs to do that job you described Ray. I can remove the entire motor/box in a M40 quicker than that.. I'm sure Dave can too..