Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Borrowed S62 projects

Guest Simon*

All the recent talk about Sammy's M60/M62 swap into the E30 and the virtues of M60B40 vs B30 got me thinking about powerplant upgrades for my E34 if the M60 shows signs of flagging in the future. M62B44 seems the logical choice if it can be mated straight up to my 6 speed box with minimum of wiring fuss, etc.

Along the way I found these three cool S62 into E34 swaps :)

1. Bloke from Latvia. Very nice integration of E39 goodies into the cockpit: dash cluster, the works

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt...d.php?t=1177678

post-2351-1264462798.jpg

2. Aussie bloke! His E34 M5 chewed a relatively recently, and expensively rebuilt 3.5 so he decided to swap in the S62 instead!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-di...tor-e34-m5.html

Posted Image

3. Pommy bloke. Check out pic below of chewed propshaft!

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e34-m5-di...5-m5-0-vee.html

Posted Image

Ha that last photo, torque much.

Your motors only run in isn't it? 400 odd km?

Edited by Greg.

Guest Simon*

That's what I'm saying mate - by the time it starts showing any sign of wear I'll be able to afford an S62 :lol:

When prop shafts do that its usually because the shaft been dented / damaged before hand .. the engine torque does the rest.

An E34 with an S62 is just slightly desirable....

Heck, I forget what k's your 540is has done Simon... I though my 540i with 260ks was too many. It wasn't but just needed a fair bit of suspension work to keep me happy, and I just didnt find it feasible at the time.

I have been wondering what would be involved if at all possible to upgrade from the M62B44 to the M62TUB44.

Ray threw me the keys to his E39 the other day. And after a short drive around the block I realised how much better the TU is. The specs are so close but the drive is totally different. My car feels like a filthy old drey compared. More Torque, Torque more usable, peak power in a better place and more responsive.

I can't imagine the drive by wire system would be that easy to integrate though.

I have been wondering what would be involved if at all possible to upgrade from the M62B44 to the M62TUB44.

Ray threw me the keys to his E39 the other day. And after a short drive around the block I realised how much better the TU is. The specs are so close but the drive is totally different. My car feels like a filthy old drey compared. More Torque, Torque more usable, peak power in a better place and more responsive.

I can't imagine the drive by wire system would be that easy to integrate though.

yes i know what you mean , we had a 1999 540i touring for a while , very quick car for a tank, about 6secs to 100km/h .

loads of torque too.

but i didn't like the way the power just stops at 5200rpm , where as the old m60B40 goes past 6000rpm .

and yes you wont be swapping yours over to a m62b44tu to many differences in the electronics .

just super charge yours if you want more power

My M62TUB44 `01 M Sport leaves my 540is 6spd in its wake and the 540is will easily sort out my `98 M62B44. Work that one out Simon.

Edited by HELLBM

The good thing about the TU Brent is the power is in the perfect place for towing. Which is what my car is for. Would suite me well. But Ray refuses to swap with me. I may end up selling this current one and purchasing a late model diesel E39 if I can find one in my price range. Diesel has the same torque as the B44's! Will miss the V8 though.

I see this one is back up for sale. Must be rare being Manual.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-266933356.htm

Edited by driftit