Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

E39 540 Cat removal

I have a 1997 540. Just wondering if I am able to remove the cats but leave the rest of the exhaust system.

Non Vanons M62B44.

Pre 1998 shouldn't be a problem. If it has pre cat & after cat oxygen sensors... you cant

Ok will biff it up on the hoist and check the 02 sensors.

Rays GT1 scan said the Cats and O2 sensors are ageing or something. I can't remember the exact message.

"Aging" is the typical message you would get.

I have a 1997 540. Just wondering if I am able to remove the cats but leave the rest of the exhaust system.

Non Vanons M62B44.

I wouldn't do it if you have a light coloured car, as you end up with black crap from the exhaust all over the back of the car with no cats.

I wouldn't do it if you have a light coloured car, as you end up with black crap from the exhaust all over the back of the car with no cats.

???

?????? Ditto & look at Dan's profile - think I see Black 540 <_<

If you do it, you would need some decent resonators in place after taking them out, otherwise it will sound somewhat trashy/tinny up top.

M60 V8s without cats sound awesome, main reason for owning a V8 would be to hear that noise.....

They sound awesome at 6000rpm aswell.

???

LOL I failed to look at the profile.

All i know is that every car i've had without cat converter has had an annoying amount of black crap end up all over the back bumper (noticable on Light Coloured cars), but in this case I don't think its going to be a problem.

This happened on all the cars i've owned (without cats), including my current white E30 325i, which was factory non cat version.

These were not all old cars like my E30 either, some were low km's year 2000 + models.

My mechanic mate claims its due to NZ"s crap fuel.. I think he's right too, as when I had AVGAS in the car for one tank fill I had no black carbon crap on the back bumper :). (I wash it off often, this picture depicts 1 weeks driving).

Posted Image

Edited by Charles28

LOL I failed to look at the profile.

All i know is that every car i've had without cat converter has had an annoying amount of black crap end up all over the back bumper (noticable on Light Coloured cars), but in this case I don't think its going to be a problem.

This happened on all the cars i've owned (without cats), including my current white E30 325i, which was factory non cat version.

These were not all old cars like my E30 either, some were low km's year 2000 + models.

My mechanic mate claims its due to NZ"s crap fuel.. I think he's right too, as when I had AVGAS in the car for one tank fill I had no black carbon crap on the back bumper :). (I wash it off often, this picture depicts 1 weeks driving).

Posted Image

That looks more like running too rich or the engine is burning oil

I know for a fact that mine runs way too rich, (due to blowing the odd flame) looks like that after a few days of spirited driving, doesn't use any oil.

M60 V8s without cats sound awesome, main reason for owning a V8 would be to hear that noise.....

They sound awesome at 6000rpm aswell.

Not with the stock rear mufflers and no cats.....

The entire system works as one to keep quiet.

You need a full system if you take the cats out and dont put resonators back in.

Otherwise bring on the Rattly rear muffler racket.

Not with the stock rear mufflers and no cats.....

The entire system works as one to keep quiet.

You need a full system if you take the cats out and dont put resonators back in.

Otherwise bring on the Rattly rear muffler racket.

I'd have to disagree. Have been for a ride in two e39s (one 535, one 540) that had straight pipes instead of the cats and stock everything else, and they seemed to be fine?

I'd have to disagree. Have been for a ride in two e39s (one 535, one 540) that had straight pipes instead of the cats and stock everything else, and they seemed to be fine?

Interesting. Well on my E34 it ended up being the case, when I think about it, it was not bad, but at certain rev points the resonance would rattle the mufflers and create a bit of a nasty noise. Not to my liking!

In saying that, I believe the later model E39 exhausts are much better than the older noiser E34 types so what you say is probably quite true.

Edited by Mike-E34

My jan build date e39 540i has been decat'd and had the airflow meter done at the same time, havent noticed any issues with the noise it makes but then i dont have anything to compare it to.

My jan build date e39 540i has been decat'd and had the airflow meter done at the same time, havent noticed any issues with the noise it makes but then i dont have anything to compare it to.

From experience - they are noisier with straight pipe in place of cats. They tend to have a drone at certain revs too. As said in earlier post - entire system is designed accordingly.

Cats, by nature of their makeup do act as a resonator.

To remove cats & replace with fluted resonators virtually replicates the original noise level.