Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

My 1971 2002 Build

Dishwasher saves using the old kerosine bath to wash parts, awesome job Rot this is real good to watch keep the posts coming.

Mate, this is Awesome!

Looks like i'll be trying to find an old dishwasher when i move too :P

Heater has gone back together with its replacement motor.

It won't be getting installed until the engine bay has be painted

Posted Image

Time for the motor and box to come out. But first I needed to clean up, the car was getting hard to work on

Posted Image

Motor and suspension out

Posted Image

I like the way the m44 looks with the twin carbs on it. I just wish it was a S14 :D

Posted Image

I got the first stage of the Jaycar programmable ignition working today. I still have to make something to switch the output for the wasted spark.

Posted Image

Are there any M44/M42 nuts on here

It looks like the camshafts are adjustable- slotted holes behind the retaining bolts

Is the socket doweled?

If I undo the four bolts holding on the socket can I change the cam timing?

Does anyone have a photo of the cam shaft encoder off a M42?

Posted Image

Are there any M44/M42 nuts on here

It looks like the camshafts are adjustable- slotted holes behind the retaining bolts

Is the socket doweled?

If I undo the four bolts holding on the socket can I change the cam timing?

Does anyone have a photo of the cam shaft encoder off a M42?

The cam timing is adjustable +/- 6 degrees IIRC. loosen the bolts and the sprocket moves about. What do you want a photo of the Cam Position Sensor for? It is the sensor on the front of the upper timing cover infront of the exhaust cam. Looks alot like the Crank Position Sensor.

Edited by e30guydownunder

The cam timing is adjustable +/- 6 degrees IIRC. loosen the bolts and the sprocket moves about. What do you want a photo of the Cam Position Sensor for? It is the sensor on the front of the upper timing cover infront of the exhaust cam. Looks alot like the Crank Position Sensor.

I'm looking for a picture of the plate that bolts to the cam that the sensor picks up, like the plate that is on the inlet cam in the photo

Edited by rot62

I'm looking for a picture of the plate that bolts to the cam that the sensor picks up, like the plate that is on the inlet cam in the photo

Sorry I can't see the pictures currently. On the M42's I have stripped there has never being a plate on the intake cam (was this a M44?)

anyway there is a pin in the front of the exhaust sprocket (well both sprockets, as they are the same) and this is the trigger on the M42.

I see that an M44 is different:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=11&fg=25

Sorry I can't see the pictures currently. On the M42's I have stripped there has never being a plate on the intake cam (was this a M44?)

anyway there is a pin in the front of the exhaust sprocket (well both sprockets, as they are the same) and this is the trigger on the M42.

I see that an M44 is different:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=11&fg=25

Thanks- it would seem that only M44 has the plate and not on a m42. I just thought there may have been a similar thing on the m42

Good news tonight-

I got the engine running using the Jaycar ignition kit and a wasted spark module from NZEFI.

Due to the programmable ignition controller being only a single channel system, I had to modify the factory M44 camshaft encoder just to give me a signal for cylinders 2&3. Then the signal from the factory

cam sensor was put into the wasted spark module. This module toggles the output from the controller to fire 1&4 and then switches to fire 2&3.

I used a Subaru reluctor and installed bolts in the front pulley to give the ignition controller a reference for cylinder 1 & 2 TDC.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by rot62

Loving that video...wish I knew how to do all that. Congrats dude.

Great work mate. Love how the ignition setup worked out for you. Those coils look like they are off a 4AGZE ;) I recon this will sound beaut once its up and running in the car. Keep steaming away with the progress.

Great work mate. Love how the ignition setup worked out for you. Those coils look like they are off a 4AGZE ;) I recon this will sound beaut once its up and running in the car. Keep steaming away with the progress.

sure are- 4agze

Going to add a map sensor next to help control the timing. The kit can have two ignition maps - say for if you are using different fuels .

pretty awesome fella! .. weldone!

I had some one in the states the other day ask me why Im bothering with trying to get EWS going and why I didnt just pay someone to align it for me. I just told them, well yeah you can do that and not learn a thing.

I like you attitude to this whole project, work out how to do it yourself and stick to your guns.

again, hat off to you sir. much respect from this end of the woods.