Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

My 1971 2002 Build

The car got an exhaust today!!! A bit of a last minute thing, had to go home at lunch time and do a bit of dodgy wiring to get the car going and then off to the muffler shop

outside at last

Posted Image

some dodgy wiring

Posted Image

in need of some gas

Posted Image

the new exhaust is fitted

Posted Image

Edited by rot62

After picking up the car I took it around to the guys that tuned my other car to see if they could help me set up the ignition timing. After checking the basic's and setting the base timing we run into a problem with the timing above 2500 rpm. After using their scope and checking the ignition inputs we traced the fault to hall effect sensor that does the wasted spark, at first glance would appear that the cam encoder that I modified is giving us false readings. It looks like a mark II mod is needed.

Besides that set back I was really happy with the way the car drove. It still needs a alignment but it drove striaght, the power steer worked well and the brakes stopped the car. I'm pretty pleased considering all the work that has been done to it.

Posted Image

Edited by rot62

Looks really nice. But of course now that it has an exhaust on it you have to get a sound clip :P

That KTM orange is really nice looking, can't wait to see the car finished in it. Keep up the great work your going hard and fast.

Guest Simon*

Awesome work Eddie

I actually like the two-tone orange and blue scheme :D

Dixie Chicken ftw!

Wicked eddie from Vegas updates, I can't believe the time you have taken to get this far must be mean indoor, shiz.

Posted Image

+ 1 for not doing any more panel work on it .. it looks AWESOME as it is :D

Went away for the weekend so the only thing that I got done before I went was bolt down the fuel pump and make a cover for it

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow that is tidy welding... reminds me of when i was learning to TiG.... the teachers examples, not mine though haha...

The false triggering with the ignition may be sorted now. Got up early this morning and removed the encoder. I put it the lathe and machined the surface true and reinstalled it. First checks look good but it was a little early in the morning to be revving the engine hard.

Posted Image

Edited by rot62

no photo's to update. I'm going through sorting out all the wiring. Because I used the E36 steering column I have a bit work in this area in the way of ignition switch,wipers, indicators, horn and lights, basically most electrical functions needed for a WOF

Is your ignition working properly now?

Not 100% yet. I took it back to the guys after work today. They put their scope back on the inputs and the mod's I have made have fixed the wasted spark issues. I still have a small inconsistency in the firing, and the reluctor mount gets a vibration in it around the 6500 rpm mark which also causes a miss fire, never the less we still got smoke off the tyres in third.

So-

1- The reluctor mount needs to be made stronger

2- A capacitor has to be installed on the coil supply

3- Rerun the wiring for the igniter so it is mounted in the engine bay and not inside the cabin

4- Run the some more earths from the ignition components to the engine

5- I am also going to change the crank trigger from a reluctor to a hall effect sensor

The good news is that for the first time in over 10 years the heater fan now works!!!

Edited by rot62

I'm getting through the wiring. The things working so far are the Wipers, horn, tail lights, brake lights, indicators, electric fan. The head lights are basically done I just need a relay for them.

I still need to make the changes to the ignition wiring and wire for the speedo, also I'm thinking of adding some spot lights.

All the wiring is in for the front (The red wires just hanging there are going to be used for the spot lights)

Posted Image

The indicators work a big plus

Posted Image

The E36 thermo switch for the fan

Posted Image

The wires to the front of the car have been rerun behind the guards and not though the engine bay

Posted Image

The coils

Posted Image

The E36 column looks like its been in for years

Posted Image

The new gauges are mounted and working

Posted Image

The car is in a bit mess at the moment but that's only going to get worse when I move on to the panel work

coming along really nicely mate!

Seen the latest on spastic' ride? It has gone a long way from been dead ;)

You car is coming together nicely, wiring isn't all that fun, but when stuff works it is so satisfying

My new windows/ boot seals turned up today from FCPGroton in the US

Posted Image

I got most of the wiring finished, just the speedo, reverse lights and the ignition earths to do now.

The head lights work now +++. I also rubber mounted the fuel pump.

Got some spot lights mounted and working. The factory 2002 lights are sh*t and the spot lights kind of suit the age of the vehicle, but I'm just not sure about them.

Posted Image

Just personally i think the spots would look better either directly beside the headlights, or directly beneath them. They are rather large, so look a bit odd where they are...

Edited by bravo
To all members: For the 1,000,000th time, there's no need to quote the post above you, especially if it includes a picture. And please do not quote pictures unless you really have to to make a point. It just makes the thread hard to read.

Just personally i think the spots would look better either directly beside the headlights, or directly beneath them. They are rather large, so look a bit odd where they are...

I have some smaller ones, maybe I could try those.

I have some smaller ones, maybe I could try those.

This was going to be my suggestion