Sign in to follow this  
APT

Anyone tried znoelli disks ?

Looking to upgrade the brakes on my car, I was just thinking of going basic.

EBC Pads

Znoelli Slotted Rotors

DOT 5 Fluid

Maybe braided lines if i am feeling rich.

Question is apart from zimmermans that are very costly does anyone know of any good rotors mainly Znoellis ? or any cheap way to upgrade the brakes? looking along the lines of Japanese Calipers conversions with adapter plates.

Cheers Andrew

Unfortunately, Cheap & Upgrade don't belong in the same sentence. Nothing done right or better can ever be cheap.

For cheap: Chinese rotors & Silverline pads from Repco (not an upgrade)

For OEM : Rotors and pads from me at a discount or a dealer for retail.

For an upgrade: Brembo slotted & OEM pads- the race series guys should be able to give you some choices.

Expensive upgrade: Master cylinder, braided lines, callipers, carriers, rotors, pads & new wheels to clear the callipers, dependant on what you are going to use. Not necessary on a road car. Many of the guys have upgraded for track use, however its expensive to do.

Zimmerman rotors are about the same price as OEM if you can find them from someone here. BMW Workshop in Grey Lynn had some, but they have no stock left now.

Thanks for that info Glenn, as i wont really be using the car on the track i dont want to spend too much but just reduce the sponginess of my brakes. Can anyone tell me where i would be able to find Brembo slotted disks ?

Also are there any better calipers that are a straight bolt on ?

Edited by *Glenn*

No to the bolt on calipers question. While Jappa calipers are cheap, by the time you've bought new rotors and had them redrilled, pads, a new master cylinder, new wheels to clear them and got a cert its a $2-3k exercise.

Braided lines help a lot, if your existing rubber lines are old and expanding a little under pressure.

I run standard discs with Trusting Hi Performance Road Pads and Braided Lines with Motul 5.1 and the brakes are very good, never fading too much on the track, still a little spongy but I think that is down to the average master cylinder.

IIRC Riley has Znoelli Discs in his E30, maybe ask him what he thinks of them.

Edited by Forrest

Ive got the Znoelli slotted Z12 Heattreated rotors on mine and they seem to work fairly well. Ive not had a good experience with the EBC yellows id used with them though. For a road car just get metal kings, ask Henry i think he has the part numbers, he loves them and they seem to hold up well under fairly heavy road braking

Znoelli's are alright, I had EBC yellows which only worked well when hot.

I think you're doing it in the wrong order - to fix sponginess I'd go for braided lines and good fluid first especially if your brake lines don't look particularly new.

Calipers are really expensive, and they won't fix the sponginess. For example, you could buy my halfsprung/unsprung for $3k and save yourself $2k.

P.S. Are you buying my roof racks or not?

Since we are on this topic, Where can you get the right kind (WOFable) of braided lines for an e30 and roughly how much for a set?

E30 series ones are from Alert Engineering, fully certed, and around $300 for the set of 6 from memory.

Also agree with Jonathon, get the braided lines, and reco your master cylinder first, with good fluid and pads, and maybe reco your existing cylinders in the calipers. This will give you great improvement.

Edited by Silver Fox

Thanks For that Info guys. Will definataely be getting the lines as it seems thats a must accompanied by the reco'd master cylinder. I have gotten in contact with Znoelli but it seems it will cost abit too much for the package i wanted. It still seems abit better to go with:

http://www.massivebrakes.com/kits/e30/front/280/22/318-325 $750 USD

Since we are on this topic, Where can you get the right kind (WOFable) of braided lines for an e30 and roughly how much for a set?

^^ thanks for asking.. i was just about to untill i read your post :D

as above - do lines and mc first to fix sponginess.

I use zinoelli slotted rotors in my race car and they are fine. You don't need to spend heaps on rotors and if you are not racing then the slotted rotors might not even be worth it.

It's the pads that are most important, I haven't heard great things about EBC. You know the bmw oem pads are not too bad to be honest, or you could try some mid range ferodo somethings.

The massive brake kit is awesome but:

- US$750 plus shipping is going to be $1200ish

- you'll be pinged for GST @ $150

- a cert is $450

That's $1800, and that's only the front... and you'll still need rear rotors, pads and braided lines.