Sign in to follow this  
pommy

e30 again

Not another thing wrong!

I have recently got my gearbox back from the gearbox place, i have put it all back in finally went to start the car and when I looked underneath I found oil leaking from around the gearbox where it meets up with the flywheel!

does this mean that the front seal has not been done or please tell me it could just be an overflow(which I doubt)

any help would be great, one day I ll get this car on the road!

thanks.

Its probably the sump gasket and nothing to do with the gearbox. Was this before or after you drove it after fitting the gearbox ??

it happened after I started the car I have nt even driven yet as it is still on axles, the oil that came out was gear oil not motor oil could this still be the sump gasket?

no its definetly gear oil as I got the container with the gear oil in it and it smells and looks the same!

it happened after I started the car I have nt even driven yet as it is still on axles, the oil that came out was gear oil not motor oil could this still be the sump gasket?

If its gear oil, it could only be the gearbox, possibly the front seal

I overfilled my gearbox a bit when I filled it last because it was out of the car and not on an even surface, it blew out of the breather and if i remember correctly it did drip from around the bellhousing. So it could be that.

I really hope that I have the same problem it might just be over full! I did the same I filled it before i put it in trying to save time!!!!!!

Did yours drip for long? sorry for the daft question Im asking because when i saw it leaking I turned the car of straight away.

I have recently got my gearbox back from the gearbox place

No warrantee? sounds like front seal, Or did you put the oil in yourself?

I really hope that I have the same problem it might just be over full! I did the same I filled it before i put it in trying to save time!!!!!!

Did yours drip for long? sorry for the daft question Im asking because when i saw it leaking I turned the car of straight away.

Dripped for maybe 500km or so.

The same has happened to two other manual e30's i know off.

Why dont you check the breather and see if it has oil splattered all around it?

Or open the fill hole. If oil pours out then it was overfilled. The car needs to be level when you do this, You are supposed to fill the gearbox in the car until oil reaches the fill hole, anymore and it would pour out. it's roughly 1.25L IIRC.

thanks for your replies, yes I filled it myself as when I got it back from the shop the box was empty!

I will also check the breather and the fill hole! (Is the breather at the bottom I see a little hole/indent at the bottom where is leaking out of?)

thanks.

If the box is draining empty and its coming out the bell housing something must be wrong inside which you wont see till you take the box out again. Sit it level on a bench, fill it and see where its leaking from.

Sorry I dont get what you mean by draining empty?

Sorry I dont get what you mean by draining empty?

I might have got it wrong... I thought you meant it was leaking, and draining empty