Sign in to follow this  
Guest Simon*

Thought hybrids sucked?

some of the new hybrids are getting interesting...

Citroen C4 WRC Hymotion4 Hybrid Rally Car

The path PSA are taking with their hybrids are a little different they use the diesel engine on the front wheels and use the electric motor to power the rear wheels... Should make for some more interesting cars... completely different approach than the current fwd combination systems.

Posted Image

It uses the 1.6 litre THP engine making 160 kW (218 bhp) and a 70 kW (95hp) electric motor. The result is 230 kW/313 bhp with CO2 emissions of 109 g/km in the combined cycle and 4.5 litres/100 km. Torque is 178 Nm at the front and 280 Nm at the rear. Sprint from 0 to 100 km/h happens in 4.4 seconds, 80 to 120 km/h in just 3.0 seconds.

Also Peugeot Sport plans to bring a diesel-electric to the 2011 running of the Le Mans 24 hour. (The 908 featured a hybrid system with a 60 kilowatt (80 horsepower) gear-driven electric motor in place of a conventional starter motor)

next few years should be rather interesting for hybrids...

Ari Gold - Finally a Porsche that doesn't look like a 911

Nope but looks like a lotus...

Edited by DRTDVL

If hybrids are this good then ill get one in the future. if not, ill stick to second hand petrols

those electric motors have a lot of torque then to have those accel times.

Guest Ari Gold

those electric motors have a lot of torque then to have those accel times.

They have max torque from idle.

Exactly. Electric motors make maximum torque at every rpm, so Torque cure is a dead flat straight line, and power curve is perfectly linear (minor fluctuations form voltage/current/heat aside.

I beleive a fully electric car is the way of the future, Already been made in Europe by Tesla.Its worth pointing out Mercedes Benz own 10% of them Tesla

Link - Worth checking out

And no, Im not a greenie!

Edited by braeden.

lol top gear tested it. after i think it was 1 hr the battery ran flat and takes ages to recharge. best way is hybrid or the hydrogen one like the honda clarity. you got your own hydrogen electric powerplant under the hood LOL

Fugly like all Porsches.

I don't see the interest of electric cars from a petrol head perspective, they are so boring mechanically, with very few moving parts, nothing like an ICE, plus... they never will make the sounds of a I6, V8, V10 or V12.

I am still putting my interest in Hydrogen liquid as an alternative fuel for a modified ICE, BMW has done it with their Hydrogen 750i. Expensive however, but so are electric cars.

:

Edited by Mike-E34

Max torque from the 0rpm idle ;)

HYDROGEN CARS FTW!! byproduct -> water...

Tough, i like it

lol your v8 will get smoked by a electric motor HAHAHA.. u can make all the beautiful noise all you want. but it wont start with no gas :P

I do agree that full electric cars are the future - hybrid, not so much. The first round of F:SAE Electric is this year, huge amount of challenge with new dynamics - even motor per wheel is now a possibility!

lol your v8 will get smoked by a electric motor HAHAHA.. u can make all the beautiful noise all you want. but it wont start with no gas :P

Yeah, but a little jerry can get the v8 moving, but your fancy electric car ain't goin' no where on it's own if it's flat!

Exactly. Electric motors make maximum torque at every rpm, so Torque cure is a dead flat straight line, and power curve is perfectly linear (minor fluctuations form voltage/current/heat aside.

Max torque from the 0rpm idle ;)

Uh....really? Electric motors I've been reading still need gearboxes because they have power and torque peaks.

Even the aforementioned Tesla has these..

Guest Ari Gold

I think we were all over simplifying Jonathan, but the general idea is correct, even Telsas' marketing line is "100% torque, 100% of the time"

I'll take one please

3.2s to 100km/h

3.0L per 100km

7:30 round the Nordschliefe :)

Posted Image

http://www.worldcarfans.com/110030124825/p...-car-concept-in

I like this, of all the numerous prototypes and concept cars that were softened and mushed up, I really really hope this one isnt. If they make this one as is, it will go some way to 'correcting' the cayman's awkwardness in the range and give 'normal' people who like fast sports cars a real option. This is the way for Porsche now and everyone else cause wars aint cheap and oil is runnin out and EVERYONE can make electricity.

We really dont need anymore hybrids in the prius mould, god bless its greener than thou backside.

I believe you'll find Tesla Motors and the Tesla Roadster were invented in the good ol' USA, and have opened a brach in london I believe.

And yes electric motors make max torque from "idle".

If you search you tube (and im not doing the work for you) there is a guy who converted an older car to purely electric, its in the US and WAS one of the only street legal electric drag cars in the US. No gearbox, the accelerator pedal told the computer how far down it was (similar to ALL drive by wire cars these days) and the computer applied the correct voltage to the motor.

Would be a fun project but big dollars required.

On a side note, the car is almost dead silent.

I believe you'll find Tesla Motors and the Tesla Roadster were invented in the good ol' USA, and have opened a brach in london I believe.

And yes electric motors make max torque from "idle".

If you search you tube (and im not doing the work for you) there is a guy who converted an older car to purely electric, its in the US and WAS one of the only street legal electric drag cars in the US. No gearbox, the accelerator pedal told the computer how far down it was (similar to ALL drive by wire cars these days) and the computer applied the correct voltage to the motor.

Would be a fun project but big dollars required.

On a side note, the car is almost dead silent.

No Drag car but. http://www.kiwiev.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9hDa-JHZ8&feature=fvw

This Datsun rocks.

Electrics do make 100% torque from zero rpm ( Ihave the scars too prove it) , and a good brushless electric can exceed 90% efficiency, where as most 4 strokes struggle to acheive 30%. Thats not saving trees efficiency, thats putting a 1/3rd the energy in to get the same power.

I have a whole bunch of high performance electric rc planes, one does 0-160mph in 3 seconds, eat ya heart out bugatti!

Its not practical for everday use, yet, but in terms of high performance, an electric can smoke any IC engine. It simply requires the bits too do it, which is currently pretty pricey ie A HV brushless speed control that can handle huge amps is currently hugely expensive, and motors need to be custom made. None of it is impossible though, just pricey. Same with anything though, as they make more prices will come down.

Edited by Jacko

Great concept & innovation but I've always had the back of my mind that Hybrids are not the solution long term. Why don't they develop Hydrogen or other alternative powered cars instead of the Hybrid that don't require fossil fuels? Hybrid is fantastic don't get me wrong but if everyone switches to Hybrid, the governments will just put the prices of fuel up to compensate. This could also open up another can of worms IMO.