Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

Radar Detectors

i assume by you looking at that site, you are considering getting one? Waste of time really imho. The patrol cars use a different frequency now to the one all the low end detectors pick up. My one only picks up speed cameras now, and the occassional police car that hasnt been converted. But i havent used it for 6 months so probably doesnt even pick up the cars anymore. So Legal or not here.. they are pretty pointless to own really. i got mine cheap though

You are looking at around the $2k mark for a detector that picks up the band the 5-0 use now last time i checked. Not worth it imo.. if you can justify spending that much, you shouldnt be on the road

Definately interesting the fines in other countries though!

He allready has one :P

The Patrol cars still use Ka Band, it's just they don't leave them on all the time, just flick it on quickly enough to lock your speed and ping you.

If don't see it come up, chances are they diddn't switch their radar on :P

i have a 2k built in radar ,it picks up cops but not the speed cameras ...... i dont know y...

I have a Whistler Pro-78 Picks up Patrol Cars, and Speed Camera Vans.. but not stationary ones.

But, I don't speed anyway.

The best use of a radar is to avoid fines on your restricted lol. Carrying passengers after 10pm whilst driving manual on a auto licence. 1.2k rite there on the spot. Luckily all my mates got their full b4 me :D

Yeah, I've got two detectors, but really the best way to go is to have those systems installed. My Porsche had a Valentine system with detectors & jammers fitted. Although illegal ofcourse, it pretty much meant that you could sit on any speed you wanted to even when passing say 10 cops in a row because none of them would catch your speed.

The detector I've got at the moment is a Beltronics Vector XR950 which does the job fine for what I do.

I've got the Beltronics STi-R built in with Blinders laser jammers. Picks up everything all the time. Patrol cars are using Ka band - the "new" digital speed cameras are back on K band (from what I heard)

They do turn them off a bit - because all of a sudden I get swamped in Radar warnings...

"Instant On" Radar guns are the main way you can get caught even if you still have a radar detector.

"Instant-On" Protection

K-band radar guns have what's known as "Instant-On" radar. This keeps the transmitter in "hot standby" mode, ready to be activated by an officer when the target is within 200-300 yards. Practically speaking, you can't really defend yourself against Instant-On radar; if it's been aimed at you, your speed has been measured by the time your detector gives an alert. However, if the radar was targeted on a car ahead of you, a detector with sensitive K-band reception will alert you. High K-band sensitivity is what allows manufacturers to promote a detector as giving Instant-On Protection.

A lot of police cars have had their radar's removed in the last year or so due to the age of the units AFAIK.

A little birdy tells me that they are placing an order(or have) for a new lot of laser guns.

THe radar detector we had was fantastic... Its single biggest benifit was when we where going to events like the NZ Rally where the cops are out in force. You get a lot of sunday drivers stilling at 80kph on unfamilar roads, where we knew the roads and where happy to sit 100 - 110kph. Passing though usually meant dropping a few cogs and nailing it until you got around them as there wasn't many passing points.

I'd conservatively say on the 5 rallys i took the radar detector to it saved us about 8+ tickets, and one instance it would have saved us a lose of licence (went to pass 5 cars on a long straight, radar went off big time, pulled back in and a commie flew past us, 2km down the road there is mister commie on the side of the road with a very angry looking cop - the commie would have passed us at 130 and he was still accelerating.)

I got my Beltronics RX65 free with my car so I'm happy to use it when I drive and its saved me on a few occassions, although I wouldn't really go out of my way to spend that much money on one.

I reckon ACC should start rolling out SWS transmitters too.

if the fake speed radars cost 150 each, SWS transmitters can't cost that much.

Would be good for road works.

Edited by antil33t

Then they'd have to admit that radar detectors can have a legitimate purpose, and so their argument for "fake" radars, and campaign to get detectors banned wouldn't hold water.

Mine keeps you awake at night.

like a "vigilance" button on a train.

I don't see why detectors should be banned, that's all they are.. a Detector.. not some magical device that stops you from getting tickets all together.

I got a Beltronics 940

picks up cops fine, I just have Ka band on, don't bother with K band as only camera vans use it and it gives you a tonne of false readings if you have it on

really only use it for when people are sitting on 60 to 70kph on the friggen motorway and then try to prevent me from passing

Mine picks up mobile speed cameras & every cop that I've come across. Sometimes it will give up to 2 minutes warning on the open road. With the ACC radios, I know where 2 of them are in Dunedin, they tend to have a weak signal only giving 2 bars of strength on my radar detector, they are on/off within 50 meters.

Would there be any way to tell if my XR950 has jammers fitted? Reason I ask is that I was being rather stupid in my GTS on my way home from picking it up, cop came along (mufti) and took my speed as I was going past (right on top) some cops turn their radar's on/off I rekon. Anyway, he never picked up my speed.

Would there be any way to tell if my XR950 has jammers fitted? Reason I ask is that I was being rather stupid in my GTS on my way home from picking it up, cop came along (mufti) and took my speed as I was going past (right on top) some cops turn their radar's on/off I rekon. Anyway, he never picked up my speed.

The XR950 doesnt jam anything, not even your toast.