Sign in to follow this  
Dash

First BMW

Hey guys,

Joined last month, just been browsing the forums to get a feel for the community.

Just bought my first BMW, an NZ New '99 E36 M3 from a member here (Hamish) and loving it so far.

The car's in pretty good condition as you would (hopefully) expect for a member's car. It has a few minor issues but drives beautifully.

Power steering has started to leak a bit, and the brake light switch appears to be on the way out, but from checking around the net, these things are pretty common and shouldnt take more than a couple of hours to fix.

Body's in pretty good condition, just one ding on the front bumper. Paint was pretty average when I picked it up. Clean, but with lots of fine scratches and swirls (as you can see in the first picture), also looks like some of it has been resprayed in the past, boot lid definately has been.

Gave it a wash and a claybar, then a fresh coat of wax (Meguiars) and it came out pretty good. Want to get my hands on a decent buffer to take out some of the swirling though, anyone know how good the supercheap auto ones are?

Cheers,

Andrew

Some photos for your enjoyment.

post-5344-1268008833.jpg

post-5344-1268008841.jpg

post-5344-1268008851.jpg

post-5344-1268008878.jpg

post-5344-1268008909.jpg

post-5344-1268008919.jpg

post-5344-1268008930.jpg

post-5344-1268008945.jpg

post-5344-1268008957.jpg

wow, car looks amazing. Where abouts in NZ are you from?

Welcome mate. Nice car!

Don't buy a Supercheap buffer... they're about as useful as rubbing your cat over your car. Buy a proper random orbital polisher, or get a detailing place to do it for you.

Don't buy a Supercheap buffer... they're about as useful as rubbing your cat over your car.

haha, thanks Mark. I'll probably end up getting a Meguiars DA (which I've heard great things about), just wondering if anyone knew a cheaper alternative available locally. Could get a detailer to do it, but I like to do things myself.

For a first BM you've made a damn good start. Nice ride, and welcome!

Nice car. If you get the Meguiars one, please report back on how good (or bad) a job it does :)

Nice used oil collection by the way - one of the finest I've seen.

Welcome and nice car!

I personally use a Makita BO6040 with a 6" backing plate. It's random orbital with a semi-rotary function and works well. The Supercheap/Repco ones don't look too convincing to be honest. Are you planning to import the Meguiar's DA?

Wow! Nice First BMW There :D

tbh, I expected to see an E30 painted in urban camo with 20" chromies.

Ohh so your the person who bought hamish's car.

Seen it round plenty before you owned..verryy nice

Cheers guys,

Mpulsive: that Makita sure looks like a nice bit of kit, but definately out of my price range. I will probably end up ordering a Kestrel DAS-6. They've been getting quite favorable comparisons to the Meguiars G220 in terms of performance, for under half the price. Just need to find a store in the UK that will ship to NZ for a reasonable price.

JUST get someone to do it, find out a reputable company to have it done. Black is the worst colour to do & maintain.

JUST get someone to do it, find out a reputable company to have it done. Black is the worst colour to do & maintain.

But black comes up soooo pretty :D and silver is just as much a pain in the ass!!