Sign in to follow this  
Grant

E30 Performance Brake Pads

Hello

Has anyone here had any experience with E30 performance brake pads (i.e. suitable for track and street use).

With me (and others) planning to do the intermarque sprints, I want to have the brakes running well, and as little fade as possible.

Our group buy of anodized black braided stainless steel brake lines will be here any day now, so I want to get performance pads as well.

Cheers

ask gerry! he was talking about a particular compound F11 or something

Gerry was talking about getting some custom made, I'm sure that there must be a decent one that can be bought off the shelf.

I have read bad things about some so called performance pads, like EBC Greenstuffs.

Cheers

Ferrodo DS11's.......something around that name...wouldnt bother with premades g unit....would just cost a lot more i imagine.....the others were talking bout doing a group buy on those as well.....im just going stock again...nice and cheap so less heartbreaking to fry.....which they will

Some of these should help.

Posted Image

Oh, sorry, not quite E30 pads are they.

I should have the rears on and a LSD ready for the intermarque and maybe some sticky V700's, fingers crossed.

Hawke Blues are good. they are a performance + pad you can get through Black Rallysport in Petone. Bit harsh on the disks but will last the distance. $ 280-350

Pagid are good as well from Simon Curry in Christchurch $350-400

Ferodo DS3000 from Neil Allport $375-420 - Don't use once they get to half thickness or the lining falls off and you have steel on steel.

What ever pad you use you will want to use the same compand front and rear or else you will end up having bias problem front to rear as one end will heat up faster and end up cooking.

There is no need to use %100 brake fluid as it boils just the same as Silverline from repco. I use silverline in my race car and it lasts the whole weekends racing with 1x bleed for qualifying on Sat morning and 1x bleed Sunday morning to do two racers.

yeah i have uprated pads, recomended as a track/road mix. e30 brakes suck any way so its hard to tell, but fade has never really been an issue.

Cant recal the brand, but i dunno if they are that great

I am using EBC pads from Road and Track, they seem to do the job for the intermarque sprints. Hav not tried over longer distances, though

I had EBC Greens in my EVO at manifield, they were evil (the not good kind).

They were very hard on the discs esp. when they got hot, felt like hard core grinding.

I wouldn't use the greens on the track again!!!

On my 323gtx I used bendix metal kings at Taupo, and they were fade free for 15 50second laps, started to get a bit spongy at the end but I think that was more the fluid than the pads.

Whats best is, they are so cheap, if you don't like them it doesn't matter.

I'll be running OE porsche pads when I make it to the intermarque.

Grant, i'll be purchasing metal kings myself for road and intermarque this year...they've been given a good thumbs up by other e30 competitors for road, track, and targa :thumb:

e: Glenn, you're a whore

Edited by ///Carl

Mintex 1166 from 0800 racebrakes. They are great on the 5.

www.0800racebrakes.co.nz

off memory. Ask for Steve.

Heard not good things about the EBC. DS11 (or whatever the new number is), is what Gerry is using I believe. He swears by them too.

Racebrakes can probably do them too. I also got my Brembo slotted rotors from there.

Just take the backing plates in and he will mount the compound on them. Otherwise, he source some and charge you extra (what I did).

Ditto on the brake fluid, don't go mad on the expense. Spend the money on the braided lines that we talked about.

Edited by cainchapman

The price is $320 (incl GST) for the 6 lines, These are fully certified (and tagged) top quality brake lines.

Cheers

When di dyou guys organise that group buy???

I don't recall seeing that one around :angry:

When di dyou guys organise that group buy???

I don't recall seeing that one around :angry:

It was done through a couple of the guys on the Car Club Committee up here (not Bimmersport...a few of us just jumped on the bandwagon), I think that there are about 7 or 8 of us getting them.

It may not be too late though Carl, I'll find out for you.

Cheers

That'd be good. I replaced my front hoses last year, brakes are still a little mushy though and that's after service 2 from shellys bmw :angry: Don't want mushy brakes while doing intermarque!!!

Am i right in saying the braided lines will only make the pedal feel better, they wont actually help reduce fade will they?

Am i right in saying the braided lines will only make the pedal feel better, they wont actually help reduce fade will they?

Correct, they will improve pedal feel as they don't expand/contract like rubber ones do when the brakes are applied (and un-applied - for lack of a better word).

Cheers