Sign in to follow this  
Wom

Asking permission to go to bathroom

Um righto, so the latest micro-management bullcrap that my boss is trying to pull on us now is that we need to ask permission to go to the bathroom, and have to tell her every single time we are getting up from our desk to go to the printer, get water, have a break and give a reason why.

Seriously?

Is that even legal in an office environment?

I can understand in retail, because you need staff to be on the counter.

But in an office?

I'm pretty sure that they are trying to make all the experienced staff leave so they can replace them with newbies at half the cost.

/end rant

Sounds like school...in my day. These days everybody just does what they want... maybe they are just introducing control, respect and making people be more responsible for time management... but then again... they might just want you to leave. Move on and work for someone that just lets you do what you want...when you want

They've been doing more and more stupid stuff like this recently and I've had enough.

I had an interview with one of my competitors today :)

I actually thought my boss was joking when she brought this up, but nope she was serious.

Just another insane micro management type boss that doesn't seem to realise it's actually counter productive.

Guest Ari Gold

Posted Image

Forty years I been asking permission to piss. I can't squeeze a drop without say-so.

lol awesome movie :)

although at the moment, my life is a bit more like Falling Down thanks to my horrid boss

Edited by Wom

Pretty Harsh, Are people taking advantage of breaks etc at the moment to bring this on?

A better way of doing it if they want to police times etc is have a time clock where you sign in/sign out

Guest Simon*

That's almost a denial of basic human rights. You got an HR rep there? Get them to look through the Act and see what it says.

That's bloody ridiculous. Make sure you go right up to her each time and say out loud in front of everyone "Boss I need to do poos!"

See how long she lasts with that rule.

haha yea mate, I've already been deliberately asking rather loudly to go for a piss

and every time I print something (which is a lot) I've been asking loudly if I'm allowed to go get my print off

no reason for this that I can figure out

I'm their hardest worker, I'm always going way above and beyond my duties

I always take 30 minutes lunch instead of my entitled 60 minutes

I hardly ever take a morning or afternoon break

unless maybe they have an issue with me getting up once an hour to make a coffee

Thats wack. Do you work in a call centre?

And have you completed your TPS reports Peter?

Posted Image

nope not a call centre

just a standard office job where everyone could be away from their desks at the same time and it would not be a problem

got a d*ck of a boss? work to rule. if they are going to be dicks about things like that then do what you have to and nothing more. thats my 2c.

That's bloody ridiculous. Make sure you go right up to her each time and say out loud in front of everyone "Boss I need to do poos!"

See how long she lasts with that rule.

got a d*ck of a boss? work to rule. if they are going to be dicks about things like that then do what you have to and nothing more. thats my 2c.

Yep this is EXACTLY what i would do.

Ahhhh it's times like that that remind me why i became self-employed. Don't like the rules........then change them lol.

Haha had a similar situation many moons ago when working for Datacom/Microsoft. It's a joke and never lasts long.

To me it shows that the "Boss" has no trust in their employees. Take offense to it. In turn this creates a lack of respect for the "Boss".

Like A Boss!!

yeah i had a similar kind of situation at my old job for a while, at the garage i was at the workshop was 115% effecient and had about 130% productivity and yet the sales side was loosing money like it was going out of fashion, yet the boss was still being a hitler towards us demanding more, his reputation very quickly deminished among the mechanics which caused a very bad atmosphere and a lack of motivation to work, hence the figures started to drop. so the boss had to sort his sh*t out.

thanks for the comments

the place has been getting worse and worse to work for over the last 6 weeks, ever since the new team leader started

I have a really good feeling about the interview I went for today

so fingers crossed I can give the current a-holes my resignation next week

I'm even starting to write down all the stuff I want to bring up at my exit interview :)

Do so mate. Help the people you are leaving behind. When I left Vodafone I did that. The team leader was reviewed, the team interviewed. Team leader was removed the position and left shortly after. Though I had to direct my letter to people higher up the food chain as it originally got ignored.

Guest Simon*

^Genuine complaints by staff about their immediate supervisors/superiors are ignored at their peril. The Labour law industry routinely has a great many resolutions to find.

The ex was HR director at a big multinational. Payouts, hush money, etc was common practise. "Managing people out", "Outplacements", "operational reshuffling" .... call it what you will ;)

The truth is that the firm CANNOT afford to be caught in the wrong regarding treatment of employees.

Do so mate. Help the people you are leaving behind. When I left Vodafone I did that. The team leader was reviewed, the team interviewed. Team leader was removed the position and left shortly after. Though I had to direct my letter to people higher up the food chain as it originally got ignored.

yea I've made lots of friends at this place and when I leave I would love to help them out as much as I can

I'm definitely not going to bother complaining to my team leader's boss, she is just as bad as the team leader

I am on first name basis with the CEO though, I'd so love to tell him what's going on with his employees

they're basically going to screw themselves

they seem to be forcing out all the good workers and they keep praising the brown-nosers who are actually the worst at their jobs

oh well, they wont realise this until they start losing a lot of clients ... which I'm already hearing a lot of complaints from clients I used to look after (I've recently changed roles but still within the same team), because they're now been looked after by the useless brown-nosers who can't do their job properly

lose clients, lose money, lose profits, lose credibility ... seems to be their motto

The ex was HR director at a big multinational. Payouts, hush money, etc was common practise. "Managing people out", "Outplacements", "operational reshuffling" .... call it what you will ;)

The truth is that the firm CANNOT afford to be caught in the wrong regarding treatment of employees.

Yea I feel I am being managed out (and quite a few other excellent staff members are also feeling the same way) .... yet it is not justified at all.

All of us that are feeling this way are the hardest workers, we've all gone way above and beyond what is required, and the quality of work is always top notch.

Absolutely no reason for the management staff to be treating us this way.

The only way they're going to learn is the hard way unfortunately.

And when that happens, I'll hopefully be with one of the competitors and will be able to sit back and laugh at them screwing themselves over.

Oh and they're also monitoring my emails without HR approval.

I understand that my work email isn't private, but they do actually need to get proper approval to monitor emails (it's clearly stated in our email guidelines from IT and HR) ... which I know they haven't done because HR would never approve it without there been a very good reason (ie performance issues). If they had issues with my performance, they haven't had the courtesy to talk to me about it so I can improve - but I am absolutely certain there is no reason for them to performance manage me because I know I am good at what I do and I've never had complaints from clients.

Guest Simon*

Sounds like she feels threatened by the competent workers, and is insecure enough to monitor your correspondence (probably looking for mutiny!). Take it up with HR, whether you're leaving or not she's f**king the place up. These people make the worst kind of managers, well amongst the worst anyhow.

Employment legislation is VERY clear cut and easily obtainable from .govt websites.

You're in the position now where you need to look out for number 1

i used to ask permission at primary ;)

what's next. gonna have the manager watch you do 1's and 2's in the toilet?

From an Employers point of view Chris and no offence intended

Were you at work today ???

1.18pm @ BS

1.27pm @ BS

1.35pm @ BS

1.46pm @ BS

2.07pm @ BS

3.27pm @ BS

4.25pm @ BS

4.32pm @ BS

??? Is this productive for your employer ?

They could be watching you and your work PC may not be secure either. Are there cameras in your work area ?

From an Employers point of view Chris and no offence intended

Were you at work today ???

1.18pm @ BS

1.27pm @ BS

1.35pm @ BS

1.46pm @ BS

2.07pm @ BS

3.27pm @ BS

4.25pm @ BS

4.32pm @ BS

??? Is this productive for your employer ?

They could be watching you and your work PC may not be secure either. Are there cameras in your work area ?

LMAO, and now you're being watched on BS Chris :P

I used to walk out of the toilet at my work and my boss would be like 'did you have a good play on your phone texting' ...

'Does it smell like it?'

Fair enough though your boss does pay you to do work and not sit on the toilet all day - we're told get it out on our breaks.

Um righto, so the latest micro-management bullcrap that my boss is trying to pull on us now is that we need to ask permission to go to the bathroom

Just pi$$ in your rubbish bin! That'll soon sort her out.