Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

540iA -> 540iM + rear subframe bushes

Currently it is still lacking a lot of the trim near the driver/passenger and gearshift so it is much noisier. Where the shifter is it is basically an open hole to the road at the moment (apart from a little rubber boot).

There is flywheel chatter below 1500 rpm when under load, this is exascerbated by the fact there is no sound insulation at present.

I personally think the flywheel does make a difference, but who knows? Could be a placebo.

1st - 60km

2nd - 100km

3rd - 150km

4th - 200km

and I would say 5th 250km (limited)

I feel the gear spacings are too big (i'm after a bit more go, others would probably be happy with this). At 100km/h it sits about about 1950-2000rpm in 6th.

I reset the OBC fuel consumption and with 60% highway 40% town it's sitting at about 11.5l/100km, which isn't too bad (and that's with a heavy foot :P).

nice:) wish my drive way was that long

I've been driving it around for a little under 2000km now, and my gosh. It's a pleasure to drive!

Riiiiiiiiight.

So I finally got around to tallying up my expenses on the old girl...f**k me i've dropped a fair amount of money into her!

It appears I went over what I had 'guesstimated' originally, but in my opinion it's worth it!

The below is only for the conversion.

1600 for the box/release arm/shifter linkage

700 total shipping (250 land shipping to port from seller, 200 customs and 250 overseas shipping)

1100 oem clutch kit

300 clutch kit shipping

1100 lightweight flywheel

150 flywheel shipping

30 stainless steel clutchline (got with flywheel as I saw it at the same time haha)

22 for assorted bolts bought throughout the conversion/maintenance

165 driveshaft hanger

60 2x transmission mounts

325 driveshaft lengthen/balance

56 master cylinder

200 pedal box

150ish for z3 shortshift

110 m5 shift surround (thanks Boris, it's awesome :))

I already had 2 good condition guibo/driveshaft donuts so reused one of them (they are interchangeable between auto and manual).

The clutch/flywheel could have been done much cheaper if i'd gotten it in NZ. However with the issues I was having, I splashed out and just bought them both overseas.

Total is about $6200 for conversion

Any questions, fire away :)

*edit* - this just occured to me....I could buy 2-3 e30 325i's...but would I....NO! :D

Edited by Creaver - STOK3D

Guest Simon*

*edit* - this just occured to me....I could buy 2-3 e30 325i's...but would I....NO! :D

Neither would I ;)

Well done mate. See you at a track day soon

Why did you lengthen your flywheel? is this just a spacer behind the flywheel?

Why did you lengthen your flywheel? is this just a spacer behind the flywheel?

I think he meant driveshaft

Some more goodies arrived today :)

post-2030-1282734613.jpg

post-2030-1282734624.jpg

Also did a bit MORE maintenance...replaced leaking PS hose and oil filter housing hose, waterpump, waterpump pulley, ps pump, coolant flush and brake light switch.

Should be all go for Hampton Downs this Sat and Taupo week after! :D

If I break it....let's just say a new project would be on the cards with this box and a rebuilt engine or m62 :).

I figure I bought this car to enjoy it, if I happen to break it while having fun, sure it would be gutting...but that's how it goes

Edited by Ian 540i6

That's the attitude I like. ;)

Nice work you have done there!

I just did the same conversion my self last week, using JB Racing flywheel and Spec clutch (Supercharger plans).

But after re-mounting the exhaust I noticed the forward exhaust support/clamps (in front of the cat) didn't fit as they used to mount to the auto trans crossmember. Did you buy new clamps, or have I just overlooked where it's supposed to mount?

and by the way, you mentioned you had some noices from the flywheel below 1500rpm, what kind of sound?

My 540 makes this hissing/blowing sound which disappears when i pass about 1400rpm, more power=louder noice. Could it be the same noise you are experiencing?

Edited by S.Hafsmo

Hi Steffen.

Yes that is the exact same noise I have. I believe that is the flywheel chatter.

I have now installed a shift boot/insulation and the noise is almost inaudible now.

For the clamps...I didn't reinstall them. I have 2x mounts rear of where it bolts onto the exhaust manifold and havn't had a problem.

If you have anymore questions, fire away.

Cheers,

Ian

Thanks!

Did you use the four plugs in the bottom of the clutch housing? (nr.10 on the picture)

Posted Image

though the picture shows one plug, there are four. (and one opening in the middle without a plug)

I didnt know there were meant to be 4 plugs.

I will jack it up tomorrow night after work and check it out for you. As far as I know I didn't...but I will look into this

Soooo....

About 1.5months ago I went to Pukekohe Raceway and kissed a wall. The damage is only cosmetic thankfully so the car has still been out and about...it's just a sight for sore eyes.

post-2030-1291882917.jpg

post-2030-1291882944.jpg

After a bit of snooping around for a replacement bumper - I was lucky enough to find this. Ray had it hidden away for a rainy day :) (A big thanks to Lance who offered to help me out with a replacement bumper as well! He was following me that day and happened to record my off...I will get him to make the video public so you can all laugh :))

post-2030-1291883006.jpg

A genuine e34 m5 bumper!

I was also after a bit more go...so popped in to see Ray again. He happened to have this sitting around too!

post-2030-1291882926.jpg

post-2030-1291882936.jpg

I currently have a 2.93 LSD and intend to take my LSD centre and put it into this open 3.45 :)

Car should be running with new diff for the 2nd January trackday at Hampton Downs...and the bumper should be all painted and ready to go by mid January!

(For those who nominated my car in the awards...thankyou...but you might want to change your vote now after seeing the above pics :P)

Ian.

Hrmmm.. now I seriously need to do something.. I see some additions to the future mods list.. BTW its public now..

Cheers Lance.

Come on mate, if you do what we were talking about last night you won't have any problems!

For everyone to enjoy!

Also - i'm having trouble trying to find out what car this diff came from! It is a large case 3.45. The numbers stamped on the side say the following

1 211 697.9

1 211 983

And there is a stamp which says 86...I don't know of a car which had a large case open diff in 86? Help?

Edited by Ian 540i6

Cheers Lance.

Come on mate, if you do what we were talking about last night you won't have any problems!

For everyone to enjoy!

Also - i'm having trouble trying to find out what car this diff came from! It is a large case 3.45. The numbers stamped on the side say the following

1 211 697.9

1 211 983

And there is a stamp which says 86...I don't know of a car which had a large case open diff in 86? Help?

normally from early e34 535i etc and maybe some e32 735i etc

Yeah, I was thinking e28 m5? But it's open so must be a 535 of sorts?

Either way, going to test fit it today. :) When compared with another large case diff out of an e34 it looks identical