Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

540iA -> 540iM + rear subframe bushes

Mean bananas, that gearbox must have been a heavy fcuker to lift up from underneath!

That engine support gets around a bit aye...

Posted Image

Haha, awesome! I think that we can both attest to Glenn being a GC and always willing to help where possible.

We had 3 people under the car. 2 at the front trying to line her up and a third at the back maneuvering with the jack/output shaft to get her in...definitely not a light thing to move around without a transmission jack/hoist.

Mark - that's awesome to hear others are as excited as I am :D. Maybe not the first full noise shift into third, but they will come.

I also forgot to mention tomorrow night I need to sort out the reverse light switch and park inhibitor preventing it to start.

Haha, awesome! I think that we can both attest to Glenn being a GC and always willing to help where possible.

We had 3 people under the car. 2 at the front trying to line her up and a third at the back maneuvering with the jack/output shaft to get her in...definitely not a light thing to move around without a transmission jack/hoist.

Yip, GC. We had 3 people (me, flatmate, and dubman) doing mine aswell... ended up doing it 3 times which wasn't cool. I hope you've done it once and done it right.

+1 for full noise vids!

Also, a costed list would be cool so we can compare the cost of buying an auto 540i and converting it to the cost of a 540iS..

Tastic - I'll sort out a costed list once i've completed the conversion...the amount of receipts for this car is now too large for the folder I have!! haha.

Glenn - Hell yeah :). I'll pop round tomorrow morning to drop off your stuff if you're free? THANKS AGAIN!

Thats pretty mental haha, It took mine 3 people on the ground with the engine on a palette with lots of room and all the tools about 40 mins to align the clutch properly, tollerances were tight ..

Nice one man its going to be allllll worth it.

I joined this site just so I could check out the pictures of your swap. I've been dying to do this in my e34 540i and as soon as my m50 powered e30 is remotely done, I will...

Can't wait to see the finished product!!!

Updates!

Driveshaft in (152mm is a perfect fit...measure twice cut once!).

post-2030-1276771048.jpg

Rear all back together.

post-2030-1276771057.jpg

Steering all back together (passenger side swaybar mount has been removed and the bolts snapped when tightening (i'm an idiot and got excited....we won't get into that).

post-2030-1276771041.jpg

Tomorrow it SHOULD just be a matter of adding the fluids, double checking everything is torqued up correctly, installing front swaybar, installing steering column, bleeding brakes and clutch and away I go...

Will update tomorrow (or Saturday :P)

Can't wait to finish work already so I can crack into it!!!.....argh

1hr 17min to go...................................

Ok, as I should have expected there are issues....

Righto.

1) had a no start issue, that has been resolved. Spoke to Brent who said look into the alarm I have...and what do you know, it looks as though the alarm was immobilising the ignition and wasn't turning off when the alarm was de-activated.

2) The clutch pedal isn't coming out very far from the floor when pulled as far as it can be outward. The travel appears to be restricted by the master cylinder or the pedal is slightly different. See pictures

post-2030-1277014713.jpg

post-2030-1277014707.jpg

post-2030-1277014699.jpg

clutch pedal maybe normal height , or double check and rebleed the system

good work though , have you driven it yet??

Is the clutch pedal mounted on an eccentric bolt like it is in E30s? If so, try giving it a swivel, it adjusts where the clutch pedal sits.

Brent - I will try a rebleed tomorrow or during the week, see if that helps...it's just VERY odd that it's so close to the floor? I havn't driven it yet as the clutch is so close to the floor I wouldn't be able to get it into gear

Tastic - It does have an eccentric bolt, and i've tried that...it's still very close to the floor unfortunately

What is everybody's method to bleeding a clutch? Maybe i'm doing it wrong/differently?

I usually manually do it from the slave end, Open bleed screw, push rod in, close screw, let rod out. Keep going til it's a solid stream. Takes about a minute and it bleeds it pretty good.

But if that as far as the pedal will come out of the master, then either you may have the wrong pedal or the wrong master cylinder maybe? Cos there is a rod that joins to the piston and there is just a backing plate that stops the clutch pedal rod from pulling the piston out of the master (in other words, "as far as it will come out before the piston pops out")

Cheers John.

I had another look last night, and spoken to Glenn and a few others...and maybe the brake pedal isn't adjusted correctly.

I will have a crack at rebleeding tonight. After the rebleed i'll see how it goes and take it from there.

Ok......

Rebleeding the clutch does not help my problem, i'm still out of luck here.

However...I did find out my entire alarm is f**ked and all 3 immobilisers were active...yahoo!

So bypassed them all and after several battery recharge attempts with a crappy charger and doing some magic with my corolla and some jumper leads...SHE STARTS AND RUNS!...boy did I miss that sound :(

Rev's very quick and smooth (compared to auto lol) in neutral. Idles way better and generally runs better all around.

Basically everything is almost ready...except for the clutch operation, gah!

Please help me...I don't want to take the box off if at all possible....haha

Had a similar sounding problem with an e30 convo-simply wouldnt bleed up.

Dont know how or why but we had bent the(brand new) master cylinder piston-could be worth a look.

you are welcome to tow it down to work and get it up on the hoist if you like .

cheers brent

I will try another Master cylinder my mate has.

Cheers Brent, however I don't want to pay for it to be towed.

I don't think it would be too much of a major issue to fix (whatever it is?).....I hope

She runs.

She rolls.

A slight issue with incorrect centre drag link (I think it might be out of e39 or something?) so it provides WAY too much toe in.

Going to call Gavin tomorrow and see what he can do for me in regards to a refund/swap and swap out tomorrow if possible.

Other than that she goes ok, only drove it about 50cm forward and backward ensuring it moves though :P

Clutch issue - I can only think that the pedal is incorrect. The master cyl part number matches real oem, I tried another Master cyl as well thinking it was faulty, no luck. Have fully bled the system well over 15 times.

I figured f**k it and unfortunately did the one dodgy thing on this car...drilled a new hole in the pedal.

The master cyl now gets full travel (where it didn't before) and the clutch fully disengages........

*edit* - z3 short shift is also in...thanks Jason :)

Edited by Creaver - STOK3D

toe in???

maybe from a e28 (shorter drag link)

great news that is moves , come and check my pedal box in the e34 530i v8 5spd i have at work if you want to compare

The drag link I have is longer than the one which I pulled out of the car. So the front wheels are pointing inward towards the engine (I think that's toe in? haha)

Once I get it fully drivable I will pop by and compare.

Thanks Brent

Gavin the legend has sorted the drag link for me.

A big thanks to Matt45 (member on here) for picking this up for me while I was at work! ;)

Will install it first thing tonight and go for a quick drive! (all going well, which with my luck might not happen :S)