Sign in to follow this  
cliffdunedin

S50 + Box in a 318i

Hey guys i have been able to get my hands on a S50 engine plus 5 speed gearbox from a 2001 Z3 M!! i just want to know how difficult it will be to fit in my e36 and also what sort of money would the engine be worth?

Cheers

It'll be a piece of piss... Just undo the four bolts holding in the M40. Put them aside carefully. Then with the help of a mate lift the S50 (remember, bend from the knees) into the gap and bolt it straight in. Then, put on your driving gloves, put some Whitesnake on the stereo, crank your S50 swapped 318i in to life and go cruising for chicks.

<_<

Seriously though... how long is a piece of string? Do some research, there's a whole internet of S50 swaps out there.

P.S: Not trying to be a cock... but your question is pretty open-ended.

Seriously though... how long is a piece of string? Do some research, there's a whole internet of S50 swaps out there.

P.S: Not trying to be a cock... but your question is pretty open-ended.

That is EXACTLY why i came and asked on the internet...bimmersport.co.nz is that you know lol I just figured, why not ask on my local forums before scrolling through the no doubt 10's of thousands of pages on google...but if these threads and forums are not for people asking Q's on how too's and DIY stuff from those who've done it before, perhaps i should find other forums that do encourage those things, as opposed to..."go search the net" help :ph34r:

So, are you hoping someone posts a full step-by-step guide written entirely by them off the top of their head which you can then print out and follow while you work? Or are you hoping someone posts a link to a site with more information?

My guess is you're probably after the latter... in which case you could just Google the subject yourself.

This isn't a particularly simple undertaking. I suggest you try and get your hands on the whole donor car rather than just the engine and gearbox so you can grab any other parts you might need off it. Also, the Z3 will be OBDII, while your car is OBDI which will mean you'll have issues with the EWS security system (This shouldn't be too much of a problem if you have all the wiring/ignition system from the Z3 to rewire your car). How mechanically minded are you? You'll also need the front brakes and suspension from the Z3 as well - the rear brakes and suspension aren't compatible though as that's E30 stuff... you'll have to find another donor 6 cyl E36 for those things.

One thing I've noticed in my time here is that people who are very serious about swaps and who eventually finish them do a lot of research first (months and months worth) and then ask very specific questions about aspects of the build when they get stuck. Those who post a thread that says "I might be able to get a INSERT ENGINE, how do I put it in my INSERT BMW MODEL?" don't end up getting any further than those few keystrokes.

Simplest and cheapest solution: Buy an M3.

Edited by _Mark_

Thinking about what you just said Mark, it really brings it home that just having the engine is only part of it, when you break it down there are so many other necessary parts you almost need a complete M3 drive terrain and electrical system, hence get an M3 like you said! Of course it would be doable but it doesn't mean it is going to be plain sailing if you want a 100% functional conversion. Even once it runs there are many small difference in M3 vs non M E36's like the slower steering rack for instance, small brakes etc, so it's never going to quite live up to a stock E36 M3 if that is the goal.

Those who post a thread that says "I might be able to get a INSERT ENGINE, how do I put it in my INSERT BMW MODEL?" don't end up getting any further than those few keystrokes.

Your so right! Seen it all too much.

My favorite are people asking on Supercharger listings, "What will it take to fit to my *insert car*?"

Sigh!

Edited by Mike-E36

I had never even thought of a swap until i was offered the engine and you are right i have done absolutly no research...this was my first port of call.

From what you guys have said it may just have to be something i plod along doing slowly and aquiring parts as there is no longer a donor car, just the engine and trans.

I think i was more meaning, will it fit in the engine bay, will i need to fluff around cutting etc etc but i had'nt even thought about drive train, brakes etc...today i will do some searching and see how i get on. :rolleyes:

Im not so sure ab out the engine mounts so I wont comment on those. However from an engine swap point of view you need.

* Engine + gearbox with starter motor, altenator, water pump, MAF, headers with o2 sensors, complete engine loom, clutch (complete) and flywheel, DME, EWS 3 (2001 m-coupe), key and a reader coil. throttle cable.

Your gearbox will need all its sensors etc. Gearbox linkage, gear stick, pedal box

You need an m3/328i manual driveshaft and see if you can get the air cooled LSD diff from the m-coupe.

You need OEM m3/z3m or aftermarket direct fit radiator and piping (like I run) + fan pack and wiring.

have a look into expansion tanks for the radiator system. Not sure how they differ from the 4 cylinder to the 6. but im sure they are different.

Steering rack is really optional but expect around 1200ish for a 2.7 or 3.0 turn 'm' based one.

Hmmm HEAPS of misc stuff ... lots of stuff you can order new from BMW which doesnt actually cost much on its own, but before you know it you have a shoe box 1/3 full of bolts and pipes and suddenly its cost you $600. This always amazed me this part.

I'm sure i'm sure i've missed something important .. I haven't accounted for any of the other modules like EGS etc etc but I dont think they 100% essential to getting it going.

and hey, at least you have stuck around more tha one post and not taken offense to anything people have said on here.

Engine transplants are never cheap especially when your talking about M parts, you already have the two most expensive items! so your most of the way there cost wise IMHO.

It will fit, E36 came with M50, so S50 will go in. On a scale of 1 to 10, this would be a 8 to 10, depending on what bits you've got, full ews and key etc? If you are an engine noob, it'll be an 11. :rolleyes:

Man BMW fans make engine swaps sound hard lol

Would it not be easier to ditch all the standard crap and wire it up with a standalone ecu?

With the price of BMW parts it wouldnt suprise me if you got a link wired in and tuned

for 2/3 the price of the M3 gear.

Aftermarket rad, fuel pump and brakes and you probably still be under the cost

of the M3 gear.

Then when its all finished youl sit down, have a beer, read your receipts and

say "Dam I should have just bought an M3" haha

Man BMW fans make engine swaps sound hard lol

Would it not be easier to ditch all the standard crap and wire it up with a standalone ecu?

With the price of BMW parts it wouldnt suprise me if you got a link wired in and tuned

for 2/3 the price of the M3 gear.

Aftermarket rad, fuel pump and brakes and you probably still be under the cost

of the M3 gear.

Then when its all finished youl sit down, have a beer, read your receipts and

say "Dam I should have just bought an M3" haha

DME + coded EWS = 700euros + loom which I assume he has

Link = around 3k + wiring costs

Its not that we are trying to make it sound hard, the engine swap part is easy, its getting all the 'small' stuff going that will take time to prep for. Both financially and making sure you have the right parts. Its easy to get mucked up with the small things, then suddenly you own a $300 wrong part that you cant take back (I have done this more than once from experience)

RealOEM is an excellent resource, you can also count on their pricing being good rough indicator as to what your going to pay in NZ for parts. (USD to NZD conversion of corse)

$$$ wise, this isn't the same doing a m50/m52 conversion. however if you have all the major parts your set! :)

As for aftermarket stuff (of the same qaulity) being cheaper than OEM M stuff. They are about the same. In some cases more expensive.

In my experience new BMW parts are generally more expensive than aftermarket parts

And even if the a/m part does cost more its probably going to offer some advantage

over OEM

One of the many boners to having a link is more flexibility with tuning aswell

300 odd hp will probably get boring after a while and if you decide to turbo or s/c

youd be kicking yourself for not getting the link in the first place

Its future proofing :D

In my experience new BMW parts are generally more expensive than aftermarket parts

And even if the a/m part does cost more its probably going to offer some advantage

over OEM

One of the many boners to having a link is more flexibility with tuning aswell

300 odd hp will probably get boring after a while and if you decide to turbo or s/c

youd be kicking yourself for not getting the link in the first place

Its future proofing :D

Don't think 300BHP would get boring too fast, i don't see the point in having a road car with more than 300BHP unless you use it to the full potential on a track as well.

As Josh mentioned, you will need to source a M diff also which aren't easy to find and when found could easily break the bank.

Edit: Josh, air cooled diff....aren't they all to a certain degree? Mind the pun :lol:

Edited by Greg.

One of the many boners to having a link is more flexibility with tuning ....

Wow, you must REALLY love Link ECU's eh? :unsure:

Convert it back to obd1 as we are with our M54B30 swap into an E30, it's not rocket science and is fully tuneable. Gets rid of all the ews hiccups etc. Plenty of info on the web on how to do it.

Wow, you must REALLY love Link ECU's eh? :unsure:

U think thats bad?

I would do awful depraved things if you put an Motec M800 in front of me

Mmm electrotic :wub:

Edited by Ben

There is no way this will fit.

Thats why you should give to me. :D

To answer one of the original questions, the engine and box, assuming they are in good condition and have most of the ancilliaries, the loom and the ecu attached is probably around $8-10k worth.

As a pretty good M3 is generally under 20k, with the engine installed, bigger brakes and diff, decent suspension and a bunch of other bits on top of that, it will be cheaper and so much less hassle to sell the engine/box to someone wanting to put it into a race car or E30, sell your 318i and buy an M3.

Edited by CamB

After some research, i'm either going to look at an alternative donor car or flick the engine on TM and look at geting an m3...seems far too much hassle for all the work/cost just too power up my 318.