Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

E30 Battery Clamp

Hey guys, just failed scrutineering tonight on my make-shift battery clamp on my E30. I was wondering if anyone out there has any inventive solutions for clamping the battery on one of these? I am not allowed to move the battery from its location inside the engine bay, and the factory clamp is long gone...

Anyone know if this would work/be acceptable? (bolted in place of course, just a mock-up below)

post-3253-1270715368.jpg

post-3253-1270715391.jpg

Thanx heaps :)

Edited by huff3r

does it not need to be bolted vertically? (ie held down on onto the car as well as not being able tslip around?) you need that for warrents..

does it not need to be bolted vertically? (ie held down on onto the car as well as not being able tslip around?) you need that for warrents..

The original clamp wasnt, it was very similar to that ^^^

Its actually held down by the ledges on the bottom of the battery, as all DIN batterys have... but i don't know, i want something better if i can but have 2 days to fix it!!!!

Have a OEM one if you want just pay for shipping..

Umm not really an option when i need it by Sunday for the first round of intermarques lol. I don't know if an OEM one is good enough? I know its plenty for on the road, but i also know the E30 regulations clearly state an additional or alternative clamp is required...

Super Cheap and Repco have battery clamp down kits, fairly cheap and should do the trick.

Super Cheap and Repco have battery clamp down kits, fairly cheap and should do the trick.

Thats what i had. Failed scrutineering because the battery was free to move sideways when pushed hard...

^ can you not go to pick a part and grab a OEM clamp used in combination with your supercheap one?

^ can you not go to pick a part and grab a OEM clamp used in combination with your supercheap one?

Might try that out... Hope pickapart has one... umm now how do i get a broken bolt out of the OEM mounting hole? :lol:

What size battery are you using? Fullsize or small race battery?

You could try what i've seen on a few cars, where they have used canvas/nylon/whatever webbing/strapping put a metal eyelet into it, then used a couple plate washers and bolted the battery down using that.

The bracket has to hold the battery both ways, cant remember if you have the proper DIN battery but if so it has the "ledges" around the bottom, then you can use the original factory clamp and a second one around the corner.

But what you have built if done properly will do the trick, together with the one to hold the battery down.

The bracket has to hold the battery both ways, cant remember if you have the proper DIN battery but if so it has the "ledges" around the bottom, then you can use the original factory clamp and a second one around the corner.

But what you have built if done properly will do the trick, together with the one to hold the battery down.

Cheers, I might get hold of an OEM clamp and then go from there... Managed to fix up my current clamp a little so that it has no slack on the bolts, but i'll have to see if the OEM clamp removes all movement or not..

And yeah, i do have the proper DIN battery, i made sure of that!

OK, so the proper battery has the ledge around the bottom, this fits into a section of the firewall that keeps the back of the battery firmly in place, the oem brackets hold the front and side in place (if you use two of them) and the extra bracket you have fitted over the top will keep it all tight.

Go see JK Euro?Prob easier and quicker than posting here if he has one

Yep, i'll be off there after lunch... just gotta fix an exhaust leak first haha..

Hope you were going to drill the end of the cut/bend/tear there :wacko:

Otherwise SuperCheap Auto

OK, so the proper battery has the ledge around the bottom, this fits into a section of the firewall that keeps the back of the battery firmly in place, the oem brackets hold the front and side in place (if you use two of them) and the extra bracket you have fitted over the top will keep it all tight.

Ok, just to double check, if I use two OEM brackets (or one OEM and one replica ;) ) then i don't need the strap across the top? Because the strap across the top actually interferes with the bonnet mechanism when the battery sits in its correct position. I've put two brackets on, and i cant get the battery to move :D