Sign in to follow this  
tire

Home audio

I'm looking to get a good sound system. Was initially leaning towards building a headphone amp with some good cans to match but I've decided they are too much of a 'formal' way to enjoy music, so speakers it is. I can't afford to do both well.

At this stage I'm looking at a CD with integrated DAC -> integrated amp -> 2 floor standing or bookshelf speakers with possibly a little sub. Not interested 100 speaker booming sub gazzillion watt 'home theater' setups and I don't need a receiver that can handle anything other than cds and FLAC through my iPod.

I'd like some advice as to what the pricing 'sweet spot' is for each of these units along with recommendations. Any good deals on trademe now?

As far as speakers go, I recently heard some arcam twos and was very impressed, also heard good things about PSB alpha B1s. Anyone know of anyone selling some?

Thanks!

Oh and is there a NZ forum for this type of stuff?

Edited by tastic

I'm looking to get a good sound system. Was initially leaning towards building a headphone amp with some good cans to match but I've decided they are too much of a 'formal' way to enjoy music, so speakers it is. I can't afford to do both well.

At this stage I'm looking at a CD with integrated DAC -> integrated amp -> 2 floor standing or bookshelf speakers with possibly a little sub. Not interested 100 speaker booming sub gazzillion watt 'home theater' setups and I don't need a receiver that can handle anything other than cds and FLAC through my iPod.

I'd like some advice as to what the pricing 'sweet spot' is for each of these units along with recommendations. Any good deals on trademe now?

As far as speakers go, I recently heard some arcam twos and was very impressed, also heard good things about PSB alpha B1s. Anyone know of anyone selling some?

Thanks!

Oh and is there a NZ forum for this type of stuff?

Hey man,

I think Audio enz is a good forum (from memory)

Homo audio?

So you want a stereo that can only play Elton and Boyzone?

Hahahahah! :D

Bahahah didn't even notice till you mentioned it! Wanna edit it for me markthemod?

Bahahah didn't even notice till you mentioned it! Wanna edit it for me markthemod?

you can edit it you just need to "go advanced"

Nah.. I think it's funnier the way it is. (You'll certainly get more views... especially from members with 318ti's)

Edited by _Mark_

Bahahahahah & e is nowhere near o on the keyboard!

Max, Max, Max. Whats going thru your mind lol

Back OT, I can help you out with any q's you may have. First things first......whats your budget?

^ Superb call on the 318tis

But seriously, I need sounds!

Brett, my budget is whatever it needs to be to hit the sweet spot in terms of value for aural goodness, but certainly not more than $2000... in fact not more than $1500. I'm definitely in the second hand market.

Edited by tastic

Buy the best speakers you can afford. Amp is not so important.

If you want good close-in listening have a look at some brands used for studio monitors in recording applications. Good ones will have a very flat response curve that accurately reproduces the audio source.

Tannoy. Preferably the Westminsters.

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/

2nd hand forum too. :)

For $1500, spend the money on proper headphones and a headphone amp. Would kill any speaker/amp combo at that price range.

Like these Grado RS-1 http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10166

And something like this :http://www.trademe.co.nz/Electronics-photography/Home-audio/Amplifiers-tuners/auction-287725194.htm

Good luck. Its very fun and gets more expensive than cars quickly.

Definitely check out www.audioenz.co.nz/forums

The members will give you plenty of advice. Post a thread in the "General" section and you will get a ton of replys. Make sure you give an idea of budget but also what types of music you listen to. They have a for sale section and TM section which often has great stuff at second hand prices.

Completely agree about what can be achieved with head phones versus speakers and bang for buck, but it is never quite the same as speakers.

BM ownership feels pretty economical in comparison to some of the systems that the members have. Good luck.

In response to those who say get headphones:

I used to own a pair of sennheiser HDs so I know what I'l be missing out on.

AudioENZ is tits! Spent ages on there last night. Can't sign up though cause of my webmail account.

Thanks.

Agree with the above about headphones, but it's not as nice to chuck something on in the background, obviously. I completely disagree about amp being not so important, good speakers won't sound good with crap going into them.

I have the Cambridge 640A amp, really good bang for buck in the sub $1000 range (although that is new). Also recommend looking at NAD and rotel in that price range and it is possible to find second hand naim, cyrus and some of the more high end brands second hand in this price range. I've never listened to Marantz gear but I've heard really good stuff about it.

Also, as a possible money saver you could get an ipod + dock and put all your music on it in 320kbps or lossless and it will sound damn near as good as the cds.

Also recommend getting decent speaker cable (you don't need to spend more than $10/m to get something decent, btw).

Finally, keep buzzing around on Audioenz for a good deal to come up. I bought my Image Studio Reference HD speakers ($1600 rrp) with Mission speaker stands ($400 rrp) that had only been used for 2 weeks before the guy decided he wanted to upgrade again for only $800.

Max, they used to get spammed a lot from overseas so they have blocked Gmail. Hotmail etc is still okay (stand to be corrected). Can't go wrong with some of the NAD stuff from the last 5 years or so. As this is a BMW forum I think we should leave all debate re where to spend the most money ie: speakers, power amp etc.

Thanks Matt some good advice there. I actually already have everything in FLAC running through fb2k so thats sorted :D

Ah yes my old hotmail adress works! Thanks Anthony.

Should talk to my old man.. hifi ftw.

Heres his setup

Kimber Cable

Meridian CD Player

Audio Research preamp

Quad Power Amp

Shahinian Hawk Subwoofer

Shahinian Super Elf Loudspeakers

Amazing sound!!! the Shahinian Speakers produce some of the best sounds, everytime i get a cd first thing i do is give it a blast on his stereo, only thing is everything else sounds very disappointing afterwards.

Not sure how much the subs are worth, i think they were around 25000 in 06.. damn i wish he was into cars though :-(

Hey

I've just upgraded my receiver, you can buy my old one for a good price if you want?

It's mint as and fairly new too, but I now need more HDMI inputs and also wanted hi def audio, so it was time to upgrade.

The one I'm selling is - http://www.pioneernz.co.nz/default.asp?Obj...ockCode=VSX519K

Update for anyone interested.

I've ended up with a sexy old 70s Rotel amp - 60w @ 8ohms, and Rogers LS4a (150w max) loudspeakers on mounts which I got for an absolute steal. I'm using my laptop as a source with an HRT musicstreamer as my external DAC. Cost was around the $600 mark all up and without going into all the audiophile jargon, the sound is fantastic.

Wish I knew how to take photos....

Thanks for the tip on Audioenz "ssbmw", tis a great community.

Max.

post-2398-1276077858.jpg