Sign in to follow this  
martyyyn

Green sticker for noise

My nieces Subaru has just been green stickered for having a noisy exhaust.

Whats the story for this ? Is it a case of getting a new wof from an 'approved' testing station and away she goes, or does it require a noise 'test' with the associated $200 charge and certificate aswell ?

Given its at the 'officers' discretion when she's pulled over, I assume getting a cert does not mean it cant happen again as its so easy to remove a compliant exhaust and fit another.

Ive read the LTSA and Police websites and although helpful are slightly contradictory.

Edited by martyyyn

Guest Simon*

I would have thought if you take to a WOF certified place and they test it properly with a decibel meter and it passes, then the cops have to waive the fine/ticket

they regs are very grey about exhaust noise.

most wof places wont have a meter and if they do they wont be able to test it in the correct way. there are a couple of certified places around that can test it. check on the ltsa website http://www.nzta.govt.nz/search/index.html

put in exhaust noise in the search bar. should give you some info. as for the ticket, im not sure about the green sticker but i believe it is up to the cops discretion on weather or not he thinks it too loud. from my experience the normal procedure is he will give you a ticket for having an ineffective exhaust that can be waived if you get it tested and its ok..

but i dont know if any of that is concrete

Certification won't stop her from getting green stickered again, these don't cover noisy exhausts.

Somewhere that tests the noise level down your way will issue you a sticker on the exhaust and a notice saying it passed, which I would keep in the car incase she gets questioned again

IIRC green sticker warrants are $70-90, its a very thorough warrant inspection, so you better hope nothing else is wrong <_<

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/vehicle-...sy-vehicle.html

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warrants-c...-wof/noise.html

From 1 December 2009, if your vehicle is ordered off the road (pink or green stickered) by an enforcement officer for non-compliant exhaust noise, you are required to have your vehicle certified by a low volume vehicle (LVV) certifier as having passed an objective noise test before a new WoF can be issued. Your vehicle is required to pass a new objective noise test every time it is ordered off the road for non-compliant exhaust noise.

Edited by e30ftw

F***, I was way off - just going by what happend to me, I didn't have to get certified though.

Thats ridiculous, $450 for a cert + maybe more $$ for the test?

Bullshit.

A couple of FACTS (seem slim around here these days):

If any vehicle's exhaust is considered to be louder than the original exhaust that was fitted by the manufacturers, the vehicle can be given a "green sticker". Vehicles that are given a "green sticker" must apply for a new Warrant of Fitness. The new warrant can only be issued by an approved vehicle testing station run by the NZAA, On Road NZ, Vehicle Testing NZ, or Vehicle Inspection NZ. These agencies are listed in local telephone books.

If, after conducting a stationary tail pipe test, a vehicle inspector considers that your vehicle's exhaust system may be too noisy, they can require your vehicle to undergo an objective noise test. For most vehicles this won't be an issue - they are manufactured to meet accepted noise standards. However, this could be an issue if you have modified your vehicle's exhaust.

The objective noise test:

* provides a more in-depth assessment than the subjective noise test carried out in WoF checks

* provides a workable scientific method for measuring vehicle exhaust noise

* sets decibel limits that are appropriate for the current New Zealand vehicle fleet, given the advances, in the last two decades, in vehicle technology.

Only a low volume vehicle certifier can carry out an objective noise test. The test costs around $130-$200 and involves a stationary tail pipe test based on international standards.

If your vehicle passes the test, the certifier will attach a label to your vehicle that verifies it meets the requirements.

So if you go to VTNZ with a green sticker for noisy exhaust, the officer may require you to undergo the objective test (that's the $200 one - or however much it is).

And yes, that's no guarantee that your niece won't get pulled up again for the same thing, however, the certificate may placate a police officer if that's the only reason she was pulled over and he's in a good mood.

F***, I was way off - just going by what happend to me, I didn't have to get certified though.

Thats ridiculous, $450 for a cert + maybe more $$ for the test?

Bullshit.

No no. Objective noise tests can only be Carried Out by an LVV certifier. It's not an LVV cert it's a noise test.

No no. Objective noise tests can only be Carried Out by an LVV certifier. It's not an LVV cert it's a noise test.

Ahhh I see, I'll shut up now.

Thanks Graham, those are the two pieces I found aswell.

What confused me was the Police site saying you just go through a new wof test but the LTSA say you may also need to complete the noise test for $200.

It all appears to be at the discretion of the tester at one of the 'approved' sites, so fingers crossed she gets through that.

How is a objective noise test carryed out ?

I've herd that they stand 30 meters at a right angle to the exhaust and take it up to 3500rpm...........I don't know how true this .

95db is pretty loud , just go listen to speedway .

I have had 2 cars green stickered for noise. One was a n/a Subaru Legacy and another a 87 rx7, for both i had to take back to get a wof(on a trailer). Each past with flying colors and the sticker was removed i also went to a friend who works at pitt stop and got him to noise test them...both a couple under the legal db limit, and he wrote me a db level note which i kept in my cars...

Police discretion is RIDICULOUS, they should carry the meters or take you somewhere it can get tested that day, before issuing the green sticker...all in all it cost me about $200 because that cop was having a bad day and wanted something too pick on!

I've noticed the local WOF center has a DB meter.. they should start testing all cars and writing it on your WoF sheet so you have this defense to the police.

honestly if you're not a dickhead boy racer you should have the peace of mind that your car is legal and not have to fork out for more testing just to prove your innocence!

Edited by *Glenn*

I've noticed the local WOF center has a DB meter.. they should start testing all cars and writing it on your WoF sheet so you have this defense to the police.

honestly if you're not a dickhead boy racer you should have the peace of mind that your car is legal and not have to fork out for more testing just to prove your innocence!

My main prob is that the police are able to pull anyone over and if in their opinion it is too loud...green sticker, imo this needs to be regulated or the police should carry a db meter, how much more would i have been stung getting certed...even though nothing was wrong grrrr!!

The only trouble with db level on your wof would be those boy racers that take the *stock* muffler/exhaust and replace it with aftermarket 10 mins after getting a wof.

My main prob is that the police are able to pull anyone over and if in their opinion it is too loud...green sticker, imo this needs to be regulated or the police should carry a db meter, how much more would i have been stung getting certed...even though nothing was wrong grrrr!!

The only trouble with db level on your wof would be those boy racers that take the *stock* muffler/exhaust and replace it with aftermarket 10 mins after getting a wof.

Thats why the "cert" you get for an objective noise test has plates/stickers.whatever applied to your exhaust as well as the piece of paper for your glovebox. That way you can show them it's legal, and show them you haven't changed it ;)

Thats why the "cert" you get for an objective noise test has plates/stickers.whatever applied to your exhaust as well as the piece of paper for your glovebox. That way you can show them it's legal, and show them you haven't changed it ;)

Is that what actually happens? because if so it's a good idea!!

Actually... how about "the sticker must have fallen off" excuse that i'm sure the police would hear all the time or boy racers fitting 2 mufflers for the test then taking one off after getting certed therefore bore muffler stickered...maybe some flaws.

Edited by cliffdunedin

I wonder how evenly the Police apply their discretion. Probably the only reason I'm not ticketed for a loud exhaust is that I'm 44 and look respectable. Stick my 17yo in the same car and she'll come back with a bunch of tickets and a big fat green sticker!

Maybe just refit the stock exhaust and do the world a favor.