Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

WTB: Decision

As everyone knows, im doing the engine conversion. its dragging on and on and every fault i fix leads to new problems. Its definitely not a by the book conversion. it all stems from having a not quite perfect shell to start with. Its structurally mint, but electronically has/had a few quirks since before i brought the car, and they are only worsened by having an engine in the car it wasn't designed for. I just seem to be throwing money and time at a slab of west German steel and not getting anything out of it.

Also, family relations are also dicey at best right now, and theres a chance im going to have to leave home soon, in which case the E30 will be in storage, finished or not, anyway.

So.. Am considering, a little too seriously than some would like, do i just sell/part the car out or persevere? If i part/sell, i will be buying an E46 25i/28i/30i, either touring or coupe, or an E38. obviously i wont be away from E30s forever, and thus will probably hang on to all of my new E30 suspension stuff and probably the tech2, and selling/parting the rest.

If you were in my position, what would you do? (if an E30 isnt your baby, picture being attached so much it hurts to one. Or cutting off an arm, if thats easier for you to imagine)

insert usual request to be civilised here

Keep it. It'll be worth a whole lot more when you get it running

If you get the car running and certed it would be worth something in good condition, but how it is right now I'd say parting it out would be the best option. If I sell my car in the condition it is now, I'd part it out. It's worth more like that i believe.

Get a cheap M20 and slap it in. stick the M52 in your room as a coffee table untill you have a spare month and more research.

If you get the car running and certed it would be worth something in good condition, but how it is right now I'd say parting it out would be the best option. If I sell my car in the condition it is now, I'd part it out. It's worth more like that i believe.

yeah leaning towards the part out too, def worth more in bits. though dont want to end up with a shed full of E30 bits after just managing to clear it all out! If i have the time to get it to cert stage then it will be kept. Started this project when i was expecting to be at school this year so would have heaps of time.. stupid work instead ha

and more research.

stfu :P

Keep it. It'll be worth a whole lot more when you get it running

This. Not worth giving up and parting now IMO.

yeah leaning towards the part out too, def worth more in bits. though dont want to end up with a shed full of E30 bits after just managing to clear it all out! If i have the time to get it to cert stage then it will be kept. Started this project when i was expecting to be at school this year so would have heaps of time.. stupid work instead ha

Once you get it running and certed then you have a running car and you dont need to sell it. If you think you can do it, do it. If not, part it. It just depends if you can do it or not, that's all.

You don't deserve this sort of headache.. and for what, an E30!? 5 Series is where it's at, just ask Simon.

Part the bitch out, get your money back and don't look back!

I'll pitch in and help you out by taking the Tech-2 off your hands.. :ph34r:

Whats with everyone parting out e30's?

it's ridiculous considering the car is fine, get a m20 or m40 back in there and sell of the m5x swap stuff.

Reliable DD > bragging rights.

You will be kicking yourself if you keep dumping all your money into it.

And he's allready got decent suspention, so he'd have a resonably good balanced car imo. with an M20B25.

Edited by antil33t

If you've got enough spare cash to consider a E46 330i at such a young age, you can afford to perservere with finishing this project. If your shell has all these niggles, get another. $500, easy.

Or, get a place with a garage/driveway, then you should have no real time constraints so you can take it easy.

Reliable DD > bragging rights.

+10000000

If you want to get it finished put it on a trailer and take it somewhere where they have the equipment and knowledge to sort it out and get it running... Eg Glenn.

Finished, drivable end of story.

Personally you have 3 options:

- Take it to a pro who actually knows what they are doing

- Shelve the car for 3 - 6 months and save up for a Link and do it properly first time

- Do some more research and come back when you don't want to just throw money at it willy nilly.

Don't bother selling the car, as with me and as Mark247 said, our cars are worth far more in parts. I would probably never sell my car complete as is.

Guest Simon*

You don't deserve this sort of headache.. and for what, an E30!? 5 Series is where it's at, just ask Simon.

Um ... thanks Atta :huh: Can't deny they are the shizz though

Andy it's a shame that your project has become such a headache. It was an ambitious one and it sounds like the original car was trouble enough to begin with and has contributed to your issues.

You don't have to admit defeat on doing an engine swap into an E30, just put the idea on hold until you have all the right bits at your disposal. So perhaps parting it out, getting some cash back and getting a reliable daily beemer is the answer this time.

Next time around you'll know exactly what to get and how to tackle the whole thing.

The unfortunate truth about conversions too is that unless it's super tidy, fully certed and 100% reliable you'd never get a fraction of what you spent back when you go to sell it.

- Shelve the car for 3 - 6 months and save up for a Link and do it properly first time

THIS.

You have put far too much effort into it to just throw it away now.

Give it a few months and take a step back from the project,

Then buy a Link and get it running.

Or just take it to Oli, he said he would get it running for those Hartges you were selling, although I am not sure if he was serious or not.... :huh:

I'll throw in my 2c worth..

Persevere with the project, yeah its a pain, but how great will it feel when it's finished? If you stop now and sell or part out you will lose heaps on the deal, without the enjoyment of driving it completed.

Take a break away from the project for a couple of weeks, do something different to forget it, spend time with the g/f or whatever. Then start to do some more research, plan it all out on the garage wall, or big bit of paper (but be realistic - it won't be finished in 2 weeks). Only then get stuck back into it, refreshed and re-grouped.

+10000000

If you want to get it finished put it on a trailer and take it somewhere where they have the equipment and knowledge to sort it out and get it running... Eg Glenn.

Finished, drivable end of story.

I'm too far away..Andrew is free to give me a call though if he wishes. His problems at this stage are wiring & EWSII ... its not hard and he may have damged his second EWS control unit or DME with his wiring attempts... I've been keeping track on his progress on the other forum. Being colour blind doesnt help when doing wiring and he may need some help in this area from someone down there in Welly.

[sarcasm].. and for what, an E30!?[/sarcasm]

Was just joking there Simon, in the hope that he would sell me his Tech-2 kit :P

If im honest i really did not expect this reaction from you guys! Your all bringing very relevant points to the table, stuff that i hadnt overlooked, but hadnt through 100%

@ people telling me to do research for EWS/DME etc, i have no reason to even consider thatas the fault, and my wiring is fine, cross checked with a few obd2 guys from europe (as opposed to the US where there is a possibilty of doubt). Unless there is something thats never been documented before, i have itAlthough im colourblind, i can read numbers on the plugs and read a bunch of zeros on an LCD screen. Its something else. I have not tampered with the loom at all and Brent said the engine was from a running car, and Jon tests all his parts before he sells them. i have no reason to doubt either of them

I still have to attach the starter motor up (what a mission thats going to be!), and we will see where we go from there. If it runs then there isnt much left to do.. sorting out the body power leak, hooking up the power steering, making the temp gauge work, and thats virtually it as far as the engine side of my build goes. If it doesnt, i guess Glenn will be getting a delievery ex-Lower Hutt.

Take the intake manifold off to do starter. Way easier to get at it, and it doesn't take long to remove it either surprisingly.

Agree with mothballing it, think it through buy the $1k daily you were after and move to a new flat and drag the E30 there. You will kick yourself if you sold it off now complete or otherwise.

I have other cars sitting around some waiting for their turn in the derby and others for full resto, not sure what it is with young guys they have to bust a move now, wait a while.

Just a little three series, not like you have a fleet of buses there or anything.

Keep it, the day my E30 was road legal was a huge personal triumph!...