Is there room here for a motorbike?

At least it's a BMW!!!

post-306-1278404768.jpg

Courtesy of Jase

post-2618-1278473707.jpg

post-2618-1278473649.jpg

Far out those rims are hot blackie!

Edited by _Matt_

Did the e36 today. Now to keep it this way...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm trying to be as cool as RJS...

I'm sh*t at photography and my camera sucks.

But I tried...

Posted Image

I can't claim to own this one, but I did clean it up & take the pics :)

I took this picture to try to illustrate what can go 'wrong' when someone machine polishes a vehicle without a clear understanding of the process. (Or are forced to work to an unrealistic deadline or budget) At this stage, I have already corrected the front door, but the rear door shows heavy "buffer trails" from overly aggressive machining without refinement. (as well as regular swirl marks & scratches)

Posted Image

All too often, paint defects such as these are simply disguised/covered with a coat of wax before the vehicle leaves the dealer or car wash, with the unsuspecting owner left none the wiser. (until a few washes later of course)

...but, with a little work, the panel comes up nicely :)

Posted Image

Almost an "invisible car" :ph34r: ...faithfully reflecting just how dirty my garage door is! :unsure:

Posted Image

She was a big girl, but a stunner none the less!

Posted Image

Cheers.

• Like 1

Clay bar, machine cut, machine polish, Low speed machine sealer, low speed machine carnauba wax application and then another coat of carnauba wax applied thick by hand. I love this colour, it’s really vibrant, unfortunately the paint quality itself isn’t the best and it has crazy uncorrectable swirl marks masked away.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clay, Polish, Wax then re-wax .Was the best the old touring ever looked in the time I had it, 20 year old paint. That Dark Silver was a very rewarding colour, this was the best picture I took capturing the depth of shine. It will most likely be removed because of size but it need to be big to do it justice.

Posted Image

Clay. Hand Polish. Hand Wax. This colour didn’t look much different after 6 hours of work, not very rewarding.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This colour on the other hand was very rewarding to work with, sapphire black. Can’t wait to get a brand new car again, it’s nice to have something that hasn’t been f**ked by previous owners, these photos were taken when it was two years old and it looked better than the day I got it, 6 layers of wax.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Have way to many cleaning products, brushes, towels and mitts now, you find your favourites over the years. Have found like anything you get better at it over time also.

I can't claim to own this one, but I did clean it up & take the pics :)

I took this picture to try to illustrate what can go 'wrong' when someone machine polishes a vehicle without a clear understanding of the process. (Or are forced to work to an unrealistic deadline or budget) At this stage, I have already corrected the front door, but the rear door shows heavy "buffer trails" from overly aggressive machining without refinement. (as well as regular swirl marks & scratches)

Posted Image

All too often, paint defects such as these are simply disguised/covered with a coat of wax before the vehicle leaves the dealer or car wash, with the unsuspecting owner left none the wiser. (until a few washes later of course)

...but, with a little work, the panel comes up nicely :)

Posted Image

Almost an "invisible car" :ph34r: ...faithfully reflecting just how dirty my garage door is! :unsure:

Posted Image

She was a big girl, but a stunner none the less!

Posted Image

Cheers.

How did you fix this? What did you use? I have massive buffing swirly marks on my car from when i got kit painted, they decided to machine buff car leaving horrible marks its annoyed me ever since haha. Yours came out really good! :)

How did you fix this? What did you use? I have massive buffing swirly marks on my car from when i got kit painted, they decided to machine buff car leaving horrible marks its annoyed me ever since haha. Yours came out really good! :)

Hi :)

Fixing buffer trails is generally a matter of using the same tools & products that caused the problems in the first place, but ensuring that correct technique and 'methodology' is used throughout. You still use a machine polisher (normally rotary, or dual action orbital type) and a cutting/compounding product on a reasonably aggressive foam pad. But there are many ways that this can leave trails behind...

• Using too harsh a compound on 'soft' paint
  • Not having a perfectly clean and smooth painted surface
  • Contamination (ie. Dirt getting onto) the polishing pad
  • Failing to 'work' the polish for a long enough time to properly 'break down' the abrasives in it
  • Working on too large an area at one time
  • Failing to refine the surface of the paint afterwards with a finishing polish
  • ...actually, the list is pretty long - i won't go into everything ;-)

...sometimes, it's really, really bad:

Posted Image

...and sometimes, (more often that you'd like unfortunately) even the top marque car dealers get it wrong.

Posted Image

(The 'streaks' up the bonnet, although fainter and showing a more uniform pattern, are in fact the same thing type of defect as shown on the Red Celica's bonnet)

But seeing as this is a thread about mint paint ;) Here are some 'happily ever after' photos of that BMW...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Keep those cars sparkling!

Hmmmm, there's a FOAD in the background just waiting for repairs.