Sign in to follow this  
JiB

I Accidentally a Touring

My track hack is no longer mine, ended with with this thing (sorry stole Sammy J/Incary's photo for now):

Posted Image

Manual M20B25

Simota intake

Interior

Sport cloth interior

Nardi Blackline

Maplight'd rear view mirror

Sony headunit

Rainbow component fronts (with tweeter pods for extra OEM swankyness)

Rainbow rear speakers

Exterior

techII

Clear indicators and side markers

Suspension

Assorted Nolathane bushes

Vogtland springs

Boge Turbo dampers

standard sways

Wheels and tyres

15" weaves

205/55R15 Toyo T1R rubber

Have spares kicking around:

215/40R17 Re001's (someone sell me their 17"s)

Momo Supercup and Protipo for track duty

SE wheel

On the way:

3.64 LSD

Subframe and diff bushes

Europlate

...Now, for the real reason I started this thread:

1) The driver side thigh bolster is hanging by the cloth, doesn't seem to be attached to anything - does anyone have diagrams or similar of how the "Recaros" are put together?

2) The headunit doesn't work, I guess I should get a multimeter on it....but anyone know of common problems before I go tearing into it?? Was the ACC fuse.

3) How is your techII front held on? Mine seems to be ziptied in place :wacko:

4) Are the 325i and 320i BMC's the same?

5) The button to open the hatch is really stiff - is there anyway to make it more useable? My girlfriend struggles to open it!

6) Anyone have a how-to to get the sunroof flush with the roof? http://e30.bmwdiy.info/sunroof-adjust/index.html (Am thinking of vinyling it shut for winter, as it get parked in the open at the workshop...bad idea?)

7) Anyone have decent exhaust guys? CBF trying to drop the whole exhaust just to MIG a tiny bit when it could probably be done in 10min on a hoist.

8) Speedo doesn't work, the speedo plug isn't loose like I though it was, is there a way to check the dash works? Magically started working.....

9) I've never had aftermarket tints in a car before - how do I clean the windows? I'm guessing, not with glass cleaner? No scratching/ammonia

10) WTF is this thing in the centre console? It's aftermarket aircon! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, it drives extremely well, and my daily commute is now extremely pleasant! Enjoying the heck outta it.

----------------------------------

16th June Update:

Eur0h plated, mmmm more cellphone pix :lol:

Posted Image

More questions:

11) Do tourings have rear drain holes for the sunroof? I only have drainage in the front two.

12) I attached my plates with 5m of foam tape - is there a more elegant way of doing this? They were bolted to my race car (didn't want them coming off). But I figure I'd go for the clean look this time - but foam tape seems a little, uh, rugged. Btw, didn't enjoy bending the plate to fit the front. Other option is plate frames :(

-----------------------------------

10th July Update:

'Zorst fixed.

Groomed (more cellphone pix):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Accidentally an LSD:

Posted Image

Edited by JiB

2) The headunit doesn't work, I guess I should get a multimeter on it....but anyone know of common problems before I go tearing into it??

Looking at the photo I had a number of Sony headunits of that era, and they were particularly bad for blowing fuses on the back of the unit, take it out and there should be 2 x mini blade fuses on the back of the unit. Check those first, then try pressing the "reset" for a minute or two with power to the unit.

9) No ammonia and nothing that's going to scratch it. Enjo make this cool mitt thing that does windows real well with just water.

10) - after market aircon thingamy. Theres a blower motor behind it.

Choice car!

Righto, cheers guys, well get into it when I can.

Lol, so the crazy vent thing is aircon? Btw, I thought working aircon in E30's was a myth, clearly not :lol:

3) How is your techII front held on? Mine seems to be ziptied in place :wacko:

The bumper is... well those 2 torx bolt things. Two screws in the middle, one on each end and the ~10 clips on the bottom hold the bottom part on.

But zipties work good too.

Nice wag.

The bumper is... well those 2 torx bolt things. Two screws in the middle, one on each end and the ~10 clips on the bottom hold the bottom part on.

But zipties work good too.

Nice wag.

Mine was held on by the bolts on either side and a screw up through the valance into the bumper.

Lol, so the crazy vent thing is aircon? Btw, I thought working aircon in E30's was a myth, clearly not :lol:

Yea na the A/C works in my wag too, cept its factory.

Interesting to note your HVAC panel has no recirculation button?

Edited by tastic

That aftermarket aircon is interesting! In the 80s a friend of mine imported a whole lotta cheap bmws new from indonesia somewhere after a govt deal went bad and sold them to his mates- they were all fitted with no heaters and heavy duty air conditioners... i wonder if this was one?

The 3 things a headunit needs to work is: Constant power, accessory, and ground. Find out what those three are by testing for power with a multimeter, and if everything checks out on the car side, you know the fault lies somewhere with your headunit.

Cheers for that, now just gotta find time to do it!

Interesting to note your HVAC panel has no recirculation button?

Yeah, is kinda annoying when following rather smokey/dusty vehicles - can't do anything but shut all the vents :(

That aftermarket aircon is interesting! In the 80s a friend of mine imported a whole lotta cheap bmws new from indonesia somewhere after a govt deal went bad and sold them to his mates- they were all fitted with no heaters and heavy duty air conditioners... i wonder if this was one?

Nah, this one is NZ New - German made and first registered in Newton, Auckland in 1989 :D

It's got a darn good heater too! (was freezing last night).

The 3 things a headunit needs to work is: Constant power, accessory, and ground. Find out what those three are by testing for power with a multimeter, and if everything checks out on the car side, you know the fault lies somewhere with your headunit.

Yeah, that was my next step, gonna go pick up some stereo release keys from CamB so I won't have to disassemble the dash!

Glad to see everyone ended up happy in the end.

Sorta thinking this should be my line of thinking in regards to my car also :( we will see.

1. http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82306 this might shed a little light

4. I would assume (a bad word) so.

Edit: sunroof is easy to adjust if you have a set of torx sockets

Edited by Brams

Enjoy those tweeter pods!

You bastard.

They are from a certain M325i which is now sporting flat, light tweeterless mirror backers.

Get my note Jib?

Glad to see everyone ended up happy in the end.

Sorta thinking this should be my line of thinking in regards to my car also :( we will see.

1. http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82306 this might shed a little light

4. I would assume (a bad word) so.

Edit: sunroof is easy to adjust if you have a set of torx sockets

Nah dude, race cars are awesome. If I had time/didn't need a practical car, I'd never have let go of my track hack.

Enjoy those tweeter pods!

You bastard.

They are from a certain M325i which is now sporting flat, light tweeterless mirror backers.

Get my note Jib?

Sure did! I was touched :P Didn't Sam share my amusement with you?

Don't worry, I'll look after 'dem tweeter pods - once I get the stereo working :(

Man, Bimmersport has provided some quality procrastination this week....Time to unplugs the interwebs!

For future reference - check the ACC fuse if your stereo stops working. It's usually fuse 12, 7.5A

Helpful link.

Updated. But really just an excuse to ask more questions.

RE: Plates... find some Europlate frames. They bolt to the car and then the plates just slide in to the frames. Saves tape, and no holes drilled into the plates.

Not sure if you can buy them in NZ, but germanplates.com sell them.

RE: Plates... find some Europlate frames. They bolt to the car and then the plates just slide in to the frames. Saves tape, and no holes drilled into the plates.

Not sure if you can buy them in NZ, but germanplates.com sell them.

I was fearing that was the other option - I really don't like plate frames lol. I think tape is the least of all evils for now.

Was even tempted to put a coupla spots of 5min epoxy on for extra security :lol:

Guest Simon*

I know what you mean about frames Jon but the germanplates ones are much thinner and provide a pain free installation method. I'd recommend them. They don't look like the standard dealer advertising things

Yeah, they're not garish by any means... here's a pic of one on my old E36. Can hardly notice it.

Posted Image

Ooooh, I guess they're not that bad (though the super clean E36 certainly helps). I'll run frameless for now, might reconsider if my plates show any signs of coming off.

I was fearing that was the other option - I really don't like plate frames lol. I think tape is the least of all evils for now.

Was even tempted to put a coupla spots of 5min epoxy on for extra security :lol:

i've got a set at home if you want to trial fit them to see what they will look like

i've got a set at home if you want to trial fit them to see what they will look like

Nah, if/when my tape fails then maybe.

I will, however, come check out the pug :P

11) Do tourings have rear drain holes for the sunroof? I only have drainage in the front two

Yes. They come out somewhere behind the back wheel, can't remember where exactly.