Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Wheel size cert plate question

Right so my E30 got a LVV cert with factory size wheels on it 15 x 7.

I am potentially tempted to widen two of my RS's to 15x 8.

Can I get away with an extra inch for a warrant i.e 15 x 7 + 15 x 8 front and back, or will I need to have 15 x 7 wheels for a warrant. Also if a cop pulled me over is there anyway/reason they would check width's of wheels, or would I have to be super unlucky.

I am not paying another $400 to change the plate.

Also, you can run different pairs of tyres i.e brand and width+profile as long as the fronts match and the rears match, and you don't mix directional and assymetric correct?

Any help is appreciated

Cheers

Hey Nath this is OT but i need to get a cert soon because of my adjustables, Did you have a choice on putting your wheel size onto the cert plate ? or do they just do it.

I think they have to do it with the wheels they test it with.

Sort of down the same lines as my thread, not off topic at all, someone else will know.

My wheels are factory size, so were still stated on the plate regardless, just not classified as a modification.

If its on there technically it should stay the same, but in saying that they don't normally pay alot of attention to wheel sizing, I think they would be more worried about engine sizes and suspension heights.

I think there's a lower charge for a minor change.

Ask a certifier.

Nathan, technically it's illegal if you run different to cert plate. But most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference. The choice is yours. (I'd go for 7.5"s 'cos it's the max allowable for most 205 width rubber)

@ APT, I'm planning on certing the touring for 2.5L and a couple of other things. Am hoping to get 15's, 16's and 17's certed. Ring your local certifier - ask how much more it is for each setup. You'll probably have to bring the wheels you want to be certed during testing I think?

Slightly off topic, I find it ridiculous they don't cert rubber sizes instead of wheel sizes.

Edit: Westy's probably right. Definitely ring your local certifier.

Edited by JiB

Sweet cheers Jon as I thought, will keep it to the letter of the law like the rest of the car. Thanks

Out of interests sake though, if I went down a size to another OEM wheel, such as a 14 x 6. Do you think there would still be an issue?

Yup. Any change in wheel size was my understanding.

I'm guessing there's a clause for using a different sized spare wheel. It's reasonably annoying that cars without certification can run a different wheel every day of the week as long as the rolling diameter is within 2% and there isn't any rubbing or tread outside the guards..

^ You would think so. 15 x 7 wheels with licorice strip tyres even wouldn't fit in a E30 spare wheel well.

Technically.....any changes made after certification requires recerting. I checked on this when I changed from auto to manual. I know it sounds stupid, but that's how it goes unfortunately. You can change a car from auto to manual without a cert, but if the car was certed auto and you change it to manual, you must get it recerted again. There is no leway on cost, it's the same cost because of the work involved. The certifier must check the whole car again, not just the changes you might have made. Most of the cost involved is all the paper work. You can change wheel types, but not diameter or width as these measurements are recorded and the height of the vehicle is measured from the centre of the wheel to the guard lip. So if you are doing a project car....make sure you finalise all your mods before getting your cert. Thats another reason I'm not going to put the M3 18's on my Ti.... I'd need a new cert.

^ Thanks Glenn, will just leave it anyway, don't really plan on doing anything else that would need a cert with this particular car anyway.

Yeah they whole deal is a crock of sh*t, a bit of leeway has to be given somewhere. Regarding wheels it should be the rolling diameter should be the same so you could run a different sized wheel with the correct sized tyre keeping the rolling distance the same etc etc

im 16 and in the 3 months ive had my e30 ive been pulled over 7 times. seems to be a cop magnet for a young guy like me. everytime ive been pulled over they just check licence, reg wof and sometimes tyre tread, nothing else ...i highly doubt theyd ever check the width of the wheels against the lvv cert , or care if they did realise. i wouldnt worry about it. youd have to be super unluckly to get fined...

interesting thread.

Might I interject?

I have just increased the size of my front wheels to square up my ride (same size front and rear).

I do not have a cert plate.

There is no rubbing or clearance issues.

Is increasing the size of the front tyre / rim width a WOF issue?

...i highly doubt theyd ever check the width of the wheels against the lvv cert , or care if they did realise. i wouldnt worry about it. youd have to be super unluckly to get fined...

I'd say a fine would be unlucky, having a prang resulting in someone actually reading the cert plate, finding you in breach of it and thus illegally operating the motor vehicle (regardless of having a current WOF) meaning no insurance = super unlucky, but your own fault and hope like f*#k you don't hit something worth more than your sorry ass...

The details on the cert plate (like wheels & engine) are essentially additional constraints to the standard WOF regulations.

However, I've never had my ride height or wheel/tyre size checked when going for a WOF, doesn't mean it is "OK" though.

From my discussions some years ago with my certifier, you are still allowed the +/- 5% (IIRC) on the tyre size (based on rolling circumference and diameter from the vehicles tyre placard) & the ride height noted on the cert. plate.

You could also get multiple wheel sizes certified if you were are able to present at the time of certification inspection.

also FYI a 245/40 R17 fits in the E30 spare wheel well.

interesting thread.

Might I interject?

I have just increased the size of my front wheels to square up my ride (same size front and rear).

I do not have a cert plate.

There is no rubbing or clearance issues.

Is increasing the size of the front tyre / rim width a WOF issue?

refer section 10-1

LVVTA Thresholds

refer section 10-1

LVVTA Thresholds

sweet no worries then!

phew!

thanks!

B)

I knew it would be cool. I just didn't double check.

sweet no worries then!

phew!

thanks!

B)

I knew it would be cool. I just didn't double check.

Might want to do a quick calc and check the front "track width" hasn't increased.

12.5mm per side isn't much.

Might want to do a quick calc and check the front "track width" hasn't increased.

12.5mm per side isn't much.

Track width would only increase if the offset changed correct?

Right so my E30 got a LVV cert with factory size wheels on it 15 x 7.

Sorry for the noob question guys but why did you need to get a cert for factory wheel size?

I have never heard of having to get rims certed w/o spacers or has changed the height etc :huh:

Sorry for the noob question guys but why did you need to get a cert for factory wheel size?

Because the ABS system has been removed

I think what he means is:

When a certifier checks any modification needed certing, the size of the wheels on the car being tested needs to be stated on the plate. Things like certing it for a particular height etc make it seem more relevant, in my case it's not, but those are the rules. People take multiple sizes of wheels when the car is tested if they know they will use more than one particular wheel size.

Edited by Brams

So when going for a cert do you borrow all of your friends different size wheels?

^ I should've. One mate has like every available size for an E30 :rolleyes:

Track width would only increase if the offset changed correct?

if you have increased the width of your wheels by an inch and they are the same offset as your standard wheels, the track width is increased by half an inch from standard