Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Work wagon?

Am seriously considering this instead of a legacy for a ski car to leave south!

would both diffs be open?

do the front diffs in ix's have the same internals as a plain med(or are they large?) case diffs?

i think the wheel offsets are wrong,the front looks weird

wrong wheels , they only came with 2 options , steel wheels with hub caps and the borring type like these.

maybe they had those e39 wheels shaved at the back to get the offset right .

the factory wheels are like about et45 or et50 etc

post-279-1276500069.jpg

Anyone know reliability with the BMW 4wd systems...i'm very keen on this. 5 Series 4wd S50 wagon...i like the sound of that!

They have a lot of specific parts, things like shocks etc need to be brought ex germany etc

Wouldn't bother, my mate has one and wondered why it was so cheap to buy.

would both diffs be open?

do the front diffs in ix's have the same internals as a plain med(or are they large?) case diffs?

iirc the rear is always LSD, center diff obviosuly LSD of sorts, and the front is open

Anyone know reliability with the BMW 4wd systems...i'm very keen on this. 5 Series 4wd S50 wagon...i like the sound of that!

not very strong. youd be wanting to upgrade/reinforce diffs and stuff to make that happen

There is a guy on e30tech that is/has been building a s50 325ix, maybe check there for any info. Has to be overcoming similar issues.

once again, iirc, E30iX x5x swaps are a LOT harder than converting a car that already has the 4x4 lined up to start with. the struts are too far forward for the E34iX diff and either type of axle to be used, engine has to be on some particular angle to get the transfer case to clear...

at least the e34iX is already lined up for a x5x engine. A euro S50E34iX would no doubt about it be tits though.. if you could pull it off!

not very strong. youd be wanting to upgrade/reinforce diffs and stuff to make that happen

I'm an ex Subaru man, so used to those sorts of things :lol: just like the idea of a high performance Bimmer wagon, Diffs, balljoints and shafts will probably all be issues with the system...still B)

everything in the front suspension , brakes , steering is 4wd type only .

rear end is self leveling suspension.

you implied an S50 E30ix swap was on the same playing field as an S50 E34iX swap. Not even close, for the reasons i barely begun to list above.

there are are 325 ix too,i think that is what is being talked about,not converting a e30,at least that what i think he means

Edited by kiwi535

Well this turned into a mess pretty fast.

EDIT: Have reopened this thread after receiving a PM from a member who genuinely would like to know more about the BMW 4WD system.

Lets keep it on track. Any girlfights can be taken to PM please.

Edited by _Mark_

Cheers Mark. Anyone know any other standard type issues with these...how easy parts, panels etc etc

have a semi complete parts car of the same model at work

panels are all std e34 stuff , except the touring stuff of corse .

4wd system is unique to e34 model .

all the front struts , brakes , lower arms , steering rack , front diff , sump etc is all unique .

rear suspension is fairly comon has self leveling like m5 , e32 750il some 540i etc .

gearbox std e34 type engine is std m50 vanos type .

wheels are specific offset more offset than e36 wheels .

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....c=29836&hl=

Anyone in wellington been to look at this? It closes tomorrow, and if it stays cheap enough i could be keen to buy it as a means of transport to ruapehu and back for this winter.

4wd = no chains and top carpark :D

Anyone in wellington been to look at this? It closes tomorrow, and if it stays cheap enough i could be keen to buy it as a means of transport to ruapehu and back for this winter.

4wd = no chains and top carpark :D

I know Andrew, happy to have a look for you even if he is the competition :)

I know Andrew, happy to have a look for you even if he is the competition :)

Haha ok, cheers, will PM you.