Sign in to follow this  
Gotheschu

BimmerPerformanceshop names?

In today's marketplace, I would be carving out a niche on either product (like kits, panels) or model e30 etc. Too many people try to be all things to all players and therefore miss the mark due to shallow product range and trying to cover too many bases.

With this in mind, I think you should identify exactly what you are targetting whether it be panel or car model specific and the brand should reflect exactly that ... ie BMW Kits or BMW e30 Performance Parts etc

The name "schnellspec" would mean to me, things to make your car go fast like add-on turbos or replacement carbs or fast cams. I wouldn't identify panels or kits as being "schnell". I see them more as image products.

Just my 5c worth but a very experienced 5c worth :)

Listen to this man !!!

In today's marketplace, I would be carving out a niche on either product (like kits, panels) or model e30 etc. Too many people try to be all things to all players and therefore miss the mark due to shallow product range and trying to cover too many bases.

With this in mind, I think you should identify exactly what you are targetting whether it be panel or car model specific and the brand should reflect exactly that ... ie BMW Kits or BMW e30 Performance Parts etc

The name "schnellspec" would mean to me, things to make your car go fast like add-on turbos or replacement carbs or fast cams. I wouldn't identify panels or kits as being "schnell". I see them more as image products.

Just my 5c worth but a very experienced 5c worth :)

Umm. Might be my age but half of your terminology I had no clue what you were saying.

But, I think I get it the main point. =)

What I'm trying to do with the store is have a shop (online to start) that has everything BMW or a big variation.

From little cosmetic products to big Superchargers ( probably not superchargers but you know the peek of performance)

I don't wanna restrict myself to E30's either. If you get what I'm saying. But as I said I wanna have a brand for the same reasons as i said before.

Really appreciate all this help! Please keep it coming, it'll be great if i get this right from the start!!!

Edited by Gotheschu

I admire your entrepreneurial spirit, and wish you the best of luck but here is my two cents worth of advice on this endeavour:

1) I'm not sure what models of BMW's you are looking at, but if you are primarily targeting older models such as E30s and E36s etc, then I think you will really struggle. You just need to look at the vast majority of any group buys that have been set up here, even for inexpensive items. Members are full of bravado and bullshit saying that they are are in on the group buy, but then when it actually time to confirm and front up with the cash they back out. I'd be willing to bet that most members on here with anything older than a BMW made in the last 8 - 10 years struggle to afford to keep the car running, let alone install proper performance products (and I don't mean Repco supplied pod filters or Pit Stop supplied exhausts).

2) The people with the money to think about adding serious performance to their cars also have the nous to research the products and therefore where, worldwide they can source the parts the cheapest. If I was in NZ and in the market for any serious performance parts I know I would look at going directly to the 'horses mouth' and import them myself and cut out the middle man (in this case you). I know that you have the convenience factor of having them here, but it is not too inconvenient to order something via the web, pay with credit card and then picking it up from a shipping depot here.

3) Just because these types of places work in the USA or Europe does not mean that this will necessarily translate to the NZ market. The large populations of the USA and Europe (remember that the USA has nearly 100 times the population of NZ) means that the market can sustain serious performance outlets, but also means that the suppliers can generate huge economies of scale.

As an example within the last month the ICM on my Passat started failing. I went to the dealer and the OEM Bosch part was $US400 (+ tax). I went online, and got the same part for $US110 shipped. I ordered it late on a Friday afternoon and had it in my hands by lunchtime Monday. These wholesalers are huge, and their warehouses are massive (they make the biggest warehouse in NZ look like a garden shed). They have very little mark-up and rely on volume to make money. You won't be able to operate with this model, or compete when people in NZ can simply order just as easily.

I know that this sounds negative, but I am just trying to point out the major issues I can see with this idea.

I see your point. I think that would relate to the performance side of things but maybe not so much towards the littler things.

I've thought ahead a bit here and I've found some of the big wholesale warehouses in the USA and I've gotten wholesale prices from them. So hopefully the majority of my stuff will be cheaper than for you guys to cut me out and get it directly from them.

Whilst, you guys on Bimmersport have lots of knowledge of the big world of wholesale US websites. A lot of BMW owners in NZ don't =D

One thing I have coming hopefully is wind deflectors for the convertible BMW's. No one is NZ has em and I think there are a lot of BMW owners around that might like one but they aren't huge BMW fans like this website.

My planned target market is every BMW owner e30, e36, ,e28, e46, to e92 everything bmw every owner.

I think if I can brand it right have all the advertising on the race car and trademe I might be able to survive.

And at the start there arn't any expenses since its just me. Im designing and putting up the site. Im doing all the work.

Thanks. Really appreciate the input. Hopefully I can get somewhere in this market!

I agree with Grant.

Jack, as you say you have already got some wholesale prices i would think those prices still wouldn't be that competetive.

1. You won't be buying enough stock for them to justify a really good wholesale rate.

2. It will be very hard for you to compete with retail prices people can find on the net.

3. Try to concentrate on smaller fast moving things, quantity is the way to start out mate, you don't want to be stuck with big dollar items that you can't shift or return.

4. The wind defectors you speak about, how many cab's are there in NZ? So how many do you buy in? If you don't have them in stock how long before you do?.

5. Speaking from importing experience mate, if your buying power isn't that big i fear you will be at the bottom of the list when it comes time to re-order from your supplier.

6. A customer that has to wait is more than likely going to start looking else where.

This is just my 2c, don't know if this makes any sense, to early on a sunday lol.

Oh and lose the ss completely mate, not the name Schnell Spec, just the ss.

Keep in mind that the swazitka the Germans used was a styleized version of the muslim sign for prosperity that had been around for thousands of years, but now when/if you see it you instantly think 'nazi'.

Following on from what Grant said, in order to satisfy such a large market variety wise, you will need to carry a huge inventory of stock, and to finance this you will need to charge enough to cover your costs. This may price you out against the self importer. If you don't have most items on hand it won't take long for your customers to decide to look elsewhere.

This is one of the problems in a small market, ask anyone who deals in one.

Good luck anyway.

Ps. for common items I buy locally, but for anything else I go to the internet and import, paypal is your friend.

Thanks all. Ill keep posting up updates maybe in a different topic if I'm allowed.

Please keep the name suggestions coming though.

Since I'm still finding it difficult to pay for the Race car at the moment I have to try as much as I can and even if I sell only a few things, with a little profit, it'll still be worth it for me. So I gotta try. The only thing I can lose is my time so you guys might see the store online tonight!!! As its Sunday and Im not going training =D

Keep the suggestions and advice coming cause it helps heaps, and might help me get that bit more $$$ =D

VERSION 3 got rid of the nazi SS logo =D

post-5250-1278814529.jpg

That looks good mate, although.................try to get the lettering a little bigger. The center distracts your eye away from the script.

That looks good mate, although.................try to get the lettering a little bigger. The center distracts your eye away from the script.

Any Better?

post-5250-1278815060.jpg

Yep but script starting to lose it's shape, looking pretty good tho'.

Yea. Im rubbish with this sort of thing with photoshop. Need help haha. Is the name ok. cause not many people like it in the poll =(

Thinking about it, you may run into some prob's using BMW and the Roundel.

I think BM Performance Parts would work though.

Thinking about it, you may run into some prob's using BMW and the Roundel.

I think BM Performance Parts would work though.

Yea. Tryin to think up a logo thingy design for BM Performance without having it look like HellBM's kinda thing.

SORRY I PUT TRY NOT TRYING IN THERE.

Hows BmAutoShop?

Edited by Gotheschu

I know you have probably found a name you like the most but I figured I will chuck a few more into the works, you never know...

BMAutokraft

EinzigartigBM (Unique BM, Seems to cover all kinds of modifications you can do to your car, and lets face it einzigartig is fun to say)

I'll have a go on some photoshop stuff for ya man

I know you have probably found a name you like the most but I figured I will chuck a few more into the works, you never know...

BMAutokraft

EinzigartigBM (Unique BM, Seems to cover all kinds of modifications you can do to your car, and lets face it einzigartig is fun to say)

I'll have a go on some photoshop stuff for ya man

No please do!!! The name is just the one i like the most so far cause its short. Im rubbish with photoshop so yea pleaseeee doooo!!!

I like EinzigartigBM But is there a easier way to say it =) cause if i said to someone yea go check out einzigartigbm.net they would look at my and think im on drugs

Edited by Gotheschu

Don't let the so called "experienced posters" put you off. If you have a good idea, have done your research and have the time and energy to make it work, why not give it a shot? On that note, read the book "Every Bastard Says No"

As for the name, I think you need to make some refence to BMW. I don't think you will be allowed to use "BMW" in your company name, as you aren't authorised by BMW and they won't allow a copy of the logo either. Im sure you can get away with BM or Bimmer though!

Good luck!

No please do!!! The name is just the one i like the most so far cause its short. Im rubbish with photoshop so yea pleaseeee doooo!!!

I like EinzigartigBM But is there a easier way to say it =) cause if i said to someone yea go check out einzigartigbm.net they would look at my and think im on drugs

You deffinatly cant use BMW at all in the name or use the logo, you can use the logo theme but thats as close as you will legally get I guess. but go for gold man!! good on you for doing this.

As for the name.. just shorten it for the website www.ebm.net Its real short and easy to remember and then on the actual page have it all spelled out properly.

Im still working on the logo etc ...

You deffinatly cant use BMW at all in the name or use the logo, you can use the logo theme but thats as close as you will legally get I guess. but go for gold man!! good on you for doing this.

As for the name.. just shorten it for the website www.ebm.net Its real short and easy to remember and then on the actual page have it all spelled out properly.

Im still working on the logo etc ...

thanks, hopefully it'll work and go well. Yea. Can't wait to see your logo. Ebm.net sounds pretty good. Ill add it to the poll thingy =D

imo if your set on using the roundel in your logo (assuming you are allowed without the piracy crap etc etc), layer the words over the top of the roundel. no matter what the font size/type is around the edge, the crosshairs part is always going to be what hits your eye first. you want your name to be there.

Best of luck to you, but i would definately be taking the advice above said on pricing/volume. NZ has 4million people.. i wonder what amount of that are owners of BMWs + interested in upgrading thier cars. a few thousand at most? Tbh, the size of bimmersport is probably the best measure to take on the size of your target market so maybe double that? You can disregard the cuttiez+chromes group, they are all about the cheap and probably wont buy from you.. they are part of the repco/pitstop group aforementioned

I think you are going the wrong way about this (in terms of direction of goods). if i was in your position, i would be looking at getting stuff manufactured here and exporting to the world. The world has a few billion people to sell to, not 4 million

I think you are going the wrong way about this (in terms of direction of goods). if i was in your position, i would be looking at getting stuff manufactured here and exporting to the world. The world has a few billion people to sell to, not 4 million

Mate, that's not as silly as it may seem.

NZ has some of the best mechanical enineers and engineering companies in the world.

Not to mention the older guys that can make stuff out of nothing with the lathe and drill press in their garden shed lol.

Yea. As I said, I don't needa sell a **** load for it to be a success for myself. All it has to do is pay for my Race car and for the tyres and pads etc.

If I turn over round 20,000 or more if that a year Ill be sweet as ay.

Im gonna go into the business crap at uni and the worse this can do to me is let me learn from these things for myself. way I see it ill get experience, learn the system, and im enjoying it. And again beats working at mcdonalds =D