Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Maddie

So what do you do when you have a obnoxiously loud, bumpy, unreliable, modified E30 that constantly gets threatened with threats of being parted out, sold or turned into a nice pile of ash?

You decide to stop being a pussy and do what you should have done to start with, go slightly more wild than you already were and put a roll cage in it along with some other trick bits and put it predominately on the track that it was built for deep down, all along.

End of the day, it was never going to be tidy enough to be a 'mint' road car and I have already done too much to go back and as everyone says, driving on the track in anything is "the most fun you can have with your pants on".

So currently I have a partially disassembled E30 325i in a garage that is trying to be a track car dressed as a road car, but not for long. Hope I am making the right decision, it is too late now anyway.

Let the games begin, there is no deadline for this, just focusing on doing everything right the first time, whilst being safe but not silly about throwing the cash away as it is done on a modest budget, bang for buck is the key, although basically the majority of work has been done in terms of car modification.

As it stands:

1985 BMW E30 325i Coupe

Platanengrun Metallic

NZ New

Factory Manual

309,000 km

Engine:

M20 2.5 with Motronic 1.1

Ceramic coated race exhaust and factory exhaust manifold

Custom Alpina style rocker cover

Urethane engine mounts

Oversize radiator

Aluminium air box enclosing a Simota pod filter with CAI

Custom AFM mount

Gearbox:

Getrag 260

Z3 1.9 short shifter

Differential:

3.73 LSD

Urethane solid differential mount

Suspension:

Koni Sport adjustable shocks front and rear

Eibach super low (60mm) front springs

King Spring super low (60mm) rear springs

Ultra Racing front upper strut brace

Nolathane urethane control arm bushes

Nolathane urethane rear trailing arm bushes

Noltec urethane rear sub frame bushes

Whiteline 23mm front sway bar with SuperPro urethane mounts

Factory 12mm rear sway bar with Nolathane urethane mounts

Brakes:

Factory booster, master cylinder and calipers, with ABS removed and certified

Braided brake hoses

Trusting high performance brake pads

Exterior:

Color coded running boards

Fibreglass copy Alpina front valance

Aluminium exhaust exit surround

Under car exhaust heat shields removed

Painted tow hooks

Face lift window seals

Face lift ellipsoid headlights

Interior:

All interior sound deadening removed

MSNZ fire extinguisher bolted to the floor

Diff bolt access cutout in boot floor

Wheels and Tyres:

BBS RS001 (15 x 7, ET25) with Toyo Proxxes R888 (205/50/15)

Below is assortment of sorted of ordered pictures since beginning of ownership, summing up what I have done so far, also shows how indecisive I really am haha.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Will keep this updated as progress continues.

Cheers, Nathan

Edited by Brams

Uh oh! Sounds like the story of my old track hack. Heaps of fun ahead of ya Nath :D

A bit of inspiration before I get started:

My favourite E30 I have ever seen and a ton of ideas have been taken from this car.

Thread here:

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86053

post-3292-1279526527.jpg

post-3292-1279526564.jpg

post-3292-1279526588.jpg

The first job I am tackling on this is removing the sunroof and installing a polycarbonate panel much like Henry (Incary) did with his M325i. Have managed to sort a polycarbonate panel through Ashkan (Indecorous), so once that is sorted I will work on removing the cradle and bolting the panel in.

I am in the process of creating a splitter for bumper like the car above.

Also, I have started taking apart the RS's and will be painting them and polishing them up before fitting the race tyres, all of which will be documented on here.

Looks like plenty to keep me entertained, more updates to come.

ABOUT TIME!!!!

May the force be with you my son...

Good move i say. Once its ready for the track we will need a catch up/ you can take me for a blat round Manfield!

Update'o-saurus tonight.

Just organized some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s%3DI%26otn%3D2

Looking for a manual window winder conversion now also.

And changed the thread title name because it was funny having a german hidden message for about four seconds.

Edited by Brams

I went from electric to manual windows. Pretty sure manual windows added weight lol.

^ Haha maybe I leave it then, another reason why I want to is because my electric ones don't work the greatest ha.

Nice one brova!

I went from electric to manual windows. Pretty sure manual windows added weight lol.

And I helped, so can confirm this. We did it because it was expedient (electric windows stopped working and the manual windows were sitting right there).

Electric windows are good in a race car (assuming you're not being uber anal about weight) - its usually quite hard to reach the window winders and the winders are borderline in the way for side impact bars.

Nice montage of photo’s and a good looking project. Good luck.

+2 on the windows, I have found manual winders weigh more on some cars, just fix them up!

^ Cheers guys.

I had thought that the side impact bars don't like manual winders very much so electric they will stay!

Going to extend the current wiring for the windows to allow the switches to be put in a panel on the dash, think I will swap them to E36 switches for ultimate wank effect while I am there haha.

^ Cheers guys.

I had thought that the side impact bars don't like manual winders very much so electric they will stay!

Going to extend the current wiring for the windows to allow the switches to be put in a panel on the dash, think I will swap them to E36 switches for ultimate wank effect while I am there haha.

You've seen the clearance for my window winders right? I have to have the doors open to wind down the windows haha.

Good to see your finally going all out, and can't wait to see you on the track. I was considering selling mine, but i think i should just keep it and abandon race series rules, and go nuts. Gotta keep up with you, Oli and Kerry somehow :P.

(Team Welly Racing?) :lol:

(or Team Shelly BMW haha... keep it oldschool :D)

Edited by huff3r

^ Haha sticking with things to do with this car is not my strongest point :ph34r: it has been threatened to be sold/parted out weekly, so I figure putting something like a cage in it gives me an excuse not to give up as I can't really throw it away once it has 3-4k worth of metal tubing inside haha. I am sure my friends on here are sick of me changing my mind anyway so it gives them peace of mind lol.

Should be a good challenge, going to be tough having limited money till the summer to get anything done, but we will see, it is a bang for buck build after all. I am not going to go crazy with things like lightning the shell too far, would rather focus on the other end of the power to weight equation once the safety stuff is all sorted. By then I will have graduated with a decent job and have some cash to put into a M54 or similar I hope.

Cage, M54, ... I like where this is all going Nath!, getting back to your 316i roots! gonna be awesome.

always willing to help if you need anything.

or you can buy one thats already set up for 8k???

good to see your doing something with it.

Finally got your head straight, Good Stuff Nathan..Wheres the 8k setup, links ? :D

Finally got your head straight, Good Stuff Nathan..Wheres the 8k setup, links ? :D

in my garage...

havent put up anything official yet but its there for the taking.

unreliable? and track car doesnt sound like much fun,or are the unreliable bits more the road car periphery?