Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

E30 Mtech 1 323 Birthday.

Lol that made me think of some kind of mexican e30 with hydraulics driving around town three wheeling :P

Damn, I need a chain link steering wheel.

After driving it home from the airport tonight decided I need me a 3rd muffler. It makes shweeeet music, but its too damn loud, gonna get me pulled over by the boys in blue.

Think I may have a small fuel leak, too small patches of spray showing up on the fuel rail cover. Cant see anything obvious but it looks like #5 and is too small to pinpoint ATM..

Wonder if Ive pinched/twisted an Oring or is it possible to crack an M50 fuel rail? (having nightmare flashbacks to my 944 fuel rail headaches...)

EDIT -

Must have been a dry O ring as its fixed itself.

Edited by Jacko

Discovered this -

Posted Image

Is not the right temp sender. Doh. Single pin M20 one is whats needed and if you bang it in either of the forward two holes in the head (instead of the intake heat hole) it doesnt need to be rethreaded. Working temp gauge FTW ;)

New problem though. Got angry swapping the senders out with the manifold on and managed to smash my DME temp sender plug off in my butchery. Bugger.

Took the car to HellBM for a scan (Cheers!) No DME found... :o

Took car for a good thrash out to helensville today, stoked as. Worth all the money, M50 Owns M20 in every way.

Pulled the DME apart tonight and swapped the pro formance chip in, will see what seat of pants difference it makes tommorrow.

6000rpm haul over taking a truck gave me a boner, its not WOW faster than an M20, but pulls much harder at any rpm, and sounds sexual up top with howling intake noise and the headers at the right rpm ;)

The clutch from rds feels sweet, its noticeably harder pedal than stock but is perfectly drivable in traffic, even with the lightened B23 flywheel (which must weigh under 6kg) No shuddering etc. Being relatively gentle with it while counting the break in miles...

Whens the next BMW meet at meremere? Be interested to see if its in the 14's.

Edited by Jacko

Definite difference, hard to tell how much. Seems to pull a tad harder up top, stock felt quite linear. No obvious drop in low-mid range either and its still nice and smooth.

Chirps hard grabbing 2nd, not bad for 215's and an LSD.

What it IS doing now is burbling/popping much more noticeably on the overrun :D

Houston we have a problem. Started, idled for about 15 seconds then died.

Still cranking and we have fuel, thinking my DME may have sucked the kumara. Random as it ran fine this morning and nothing has changed...

Pulled DME, swapped chip back to stock. No change.

But I did notice moisture in the DME, from when I washed it at lunchtime :(

New DME, problem solved.

Wrapped the new one in freezer bags to prevent the worlds most expensive car wash happening again. DME sits behind the M3 cover, bolted up against the firewall behind the battery tray. Thought it would be a nice dry area....

Behind the relays is not dry...

Posted Image

Edited by Jacko

The DME needs to breath.. it also needs to be protected from the elements (idiots with hoses :P )<<< no offence intended :D

Edited by *Glenn*

^ Ha, dont worry I called myself worse at the time :D Get through the whole swap without focking anything electrical (amazing for me) and then I go and wreck it but giving it a wash....

Left a little hole in the bag, its more splash proof than waterproof. Thought about throwing a dessicant bag in there too but couldnt find one.

Now to stop breaking stuff. Off to Whakatane tommorrow to give it a serious proving run, will be keeping track of the gas mileage as it seems like a whore at the moment (was running noticeably rich with no engine coolant sensor though)

Anyone got any hints/tips/links for troubleshooting what wrong with diagnostic not finding my DME?

Im pretty sure I didnt disturb any of the wiring between the diagnostic plug and DME so am a bit lost on where to start!

Ohope and back prooving run. Ran well with the exception of spliting the only hose on the engine that I didnt replace, this afternoon, and the most a**hole hose in the car. The M20 one from the back of the block to the heater.

Big ups to the AA man in Ngatea for opening the garage (behind shell) and letting me get the car on the hoist to fix it, you da man.

Averaging 9.5l/100km.

E30 at the beach.. B)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Jacko

Forgot to mention the best bit!

Going through the karangahake gorge, down changing and blipping the throttle while enjoying the windy bits.

Big, big, big Grin :D

Looks good man!! glad to see those alpinas in good use.

Two straight through mufflers and a coby FTW. Much quieter, but still sounding tough ;)

700 miles on the clock since the swap.

Is 6.3-6.5k the normal rev limit cut out for an M50B25? E34 pre-vanos, If peak power is 6000rpm, a couple of rpm over that seems a little bit close, its actually a tad annoying as she wants to rev! :D

What are the odds my performance chip from the "washed" DME is toast? If i have spiked it, is it possible for it too wreck a good DME? Is it worth the $250 rare 402 DME risk... <_<

Edited by Jacko

6250rpm is the stock rev limit. I can send you a chip with whatever rev limit you would like.

Edit: I set the limit to 7krpm on mine and a friends, but power falls off before then, but sometimes its usefull if you want to rev it that bit more without changing gear.

Edited by polley

Yeh thats what im after, in lower gears with the 3.64 its way too easy to hit the limiter before changing :D

Dont wanna rev it too a squillion rpm, but changing gear at bang on 6k seems a bit naff as you have to stop right when it sounds, and goes, the best :D

Can you recommend anyone to have a look at my washed DME? , I looked at it and it looks to be a blown track, and maybe an itsy resistor thats toasted. If I can get it repaired (economically!) it might be an option for a "play" DME.

Around 6.6 - 6.8krpm they get a really loud induction noise.

I've successfully fixed drowned electronics (even sea water), and burnt out traces myself. Tho I wouldnt have any thing to test it on before sending it back.

I think I saw camera doctor say there is place that does this sort of thing in NZ somewhere, they dont deal with the public but maybe he can sort somthing out for you?

Just called a mate of mine down south, after remembering he went on about how sh*t hot he was at repairing a totally toasted microtech (blown fets etc...) . He's keen to have a play for beers, very economic! ;)

Cheers!

Edited by Jacko

Chrome trim or shadow line? Im tossing up between the two..

Liking the chrome at the moment, as it seems to be less done, and looks more oldskool

If anyone is hording mint chrome trim and bumpers for a pfl coupe yell out before I go CC nuts again... :rolleyes:

EDIT - Is it possible to change the trim on an opening rear window in a coupe, realoem only lists the whole assembly

Personally think this looks sh*t hot, chrome but not too much chrome.. Lots of front fender strake thing want... :ph34r:

Posted Image

Edited by Jacko

Beginnings of the cold airbox, and ultra racing strut brace installed, Think ill remove it as it doesnt fit very well (I can see the studs on the top of the strut snapping off...)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image