Sign in to follow this  
dreadful1

Steering wheel shake upon braking

Hey guys,

I've noticed a problem recently in my 318is e36.

I noticed that when I brake, my steering wheels starts to vibrate quite rapidly. Specially if I brake quite hard or after traveling at high speeds then I apply the brakes it starts to shake even more.

Was wondering if any of you guys came upon this problem or know what is causing it?

Worries me since its my braking system haha!

I suspect that my rotors aren't flat anymore...

Yongxi

I suspect that my rotors aren't flat anymore...

I suspect you are correct.

Forgot to add that after braking at high speeds, and i turn with full lock there is this loud screeching sound that does not sound good...

Check power steering belt tension.

I have this same problem! But ive looked at my rotors and wow they are like cornrows! But i dnt get scretching just a crazy shudder! Does anyoje know where i can get these remachined?

I have this same problem! But ive looked at my rotors and wow they are like cornrows! But i dnt get scretching just a crazy shudder! Does anyoje know where i can get these remachined?

If theyre undersize you cant machine them. They need to be measured first

My E36 had the same issue, it was "warped" rotors which just needed machining.

Luckily mine had a lot of meat left so skimming was an option.

Otherwise new rotors will be needed.

Sounds like lower inner track control bushes.

Can be a combination of both...but not so common on E36's........E46's yes a definate

When mind did this it was warped rotors also. Replaced with SRBMW Slotted jobbies. They do the job well.

To be honest new disks for the E36 are not that expensive and considering the cost of machining them you might as well just get new ones. That’s just my thoughts anyway.

To make you feel better I managed to f**k a near new disk at the last trackday I attended when a crappy Mintex pad broke up and went missing. At $580 per disk I was not a happy chappy <_<

To be honest new disks for the E36 are not that expensive and considering the cost of machining them you might as well just get new ones. That’s just my thoughts anyway.

Wrong Graham... Genuine new are $125 ea + Gst. Machining is normaly about $20-$30 per rotor

Graham is doing it WRONG

looks like I may have been bent over and machined as the last disk I had machined cost me the grand old sum of $70+GST where as the last EBC E30 disk I purchased was only $90+GST.

Who does your machining, that sharp!

My point was, WRONG, but two new disks is not going to break the bank. It’s like buying second hand tyres for two third the price of new ones even though they have one third the tread.

Never mind.