Sign in to follow this  
mrad01

Life begins at 600nm...

While the M3 is in for a bit of work, Jerry Claytons have me in a 335d loan car. It's a black coupe and i must say the engine is great fun!

Compared to a 335i (which I had for 3 years), the diesel smacks down a ton of torque and keeps it on tap until redline, it is impressive! Thinking about the difference between them, the petrol has more urgency, it is more responsive and a bit quicker. On the handling front, there isn't too much difference. I have had the d push a little bit in a corner where the i wouldn't have, but it was probably in my head.

Fuel usage. Well, the d is currently sitting on 10.2 per 100 with the same sort of driving as the i. The i would have been doing 11.5

So, diesel is definitely an option to the petrol version, but I'm not sure the fuel saving in this twin turbo tweaked up version would be enough incentive for ever so slightly less performance. I'm sure it would be better on a long trip, and I have heard that the 80-100 acceleration time of the diesel was better than the petrol. It might be.

So, as clinton says, life begins at 600nm!

(having said all of that, I'm hanging out for the M3 back!)

What torque is the m3 putting out

The M3 puts out 295.

Would love one to tow the race car with.

The M3 puts out an even 400NM.

legit question here. Whats the m3 in for ? Im interested on the servicing quirks on them.

The M3 puts out an even 400NM.

Correct, i was quoting ft/lbs.....sorry!

legit question here. Whats the m3 in for ? Im interested on the servicing quirks on them.

Just a computer update. These new cars can sometimes take a while to update.

Yeah .. at this point in time updating the MOST system is best done at the dealers under warrenty. It means if they bugger the module half way through they will replace it at their cost.

A few interesting stories from friends who work there about bricking modules after updates and just having to replace it as the diag software runs a token ring style scan on them, if they cant get past the bricked module then it cant complete the scan and move onto the next screen for re-programming.. bit stupid really, but im sure BMW are enjoying the warrenty claims.

diesel maintainence costs are more,buying a second hand is a hugh lottery as they are only as good as the service history,petrols you can guage motor condition quite easily,diesels can bite you in the as$/pocket big time if they havnt kept up with all the proper checks and servicing,

My bro has spent years with diesel injectors/pumps serviceing,courses all over the world to keep up with the latest technology and told me never to buy a 2nd hand diesel unless you have its full history,especially jap as they tend to be more neglected than ever

Clinton has to respond to this because the topic is diesel...

IMO if I had to choose in RL what to buy you guys all know I'd buy the diesel. Just because I enjoy it's user friendly power delivery especially around town. On a trip the diesel would have to annihilate the petrol in consumption figures? Second reason for me is that the diesel seems to hold it's value more, i..e checkout E46 320i/330i vs E46 320d/330d?

The diesels are alot of fun IMO. It's where I am & plan to stay - my next BMW unless it's a M3/M5 will be a dizeasil. I've weighed up the costs of a V8 X5 (which I had) vs a 3.0d X5 and the savings even after the RUC are massive. That & I now have just 10kw less than the V8 but a massive 160nm more! The diesel for my model is quicker, easily, especially off the mark & towing (which is what most people own a 4WD for... towing!)

My bro has spent years with diesel injectors/pumps serviceing,courses all over the world to keep up with the latest technology and told me never to buy a 2nd hand diesel unless you have its full history,especially jap as they tend to be more neglected than ever

Hey mate. BMW/VW/Audi don't do diesels as far as I know in Japan so 95% of them are NZ New meaning there will be a service history especially on late model stuff. Totally agree with sketchy maintenance histories or lack of from the Japs, some don't know what the term maintenance is!

Intervals on my X5 3.0d are about 20,000km and cost about 500-700 for a service. Compare this to a VX Landcruiser that requires 12 litres of oil and costs about $300 per service @ 5000km then it would seem that the 500-700 bucks aint so bad!

Edited by Clinton