Sign in to follow this  
Heino

touring on tm

^^^When you say the k's are nothing, what do you mean? 300 odd k sounds high to me (for anything other than a Toyota)...i really like it though!!

^^^When you say the k's are nothing, what do you mean? 300 odd k sounds high to me (for anything other than a Toyota)...i really like it though!!

He made a thread with the title "High ks??" and then posted a link to an e30 with 300,000km. I'm just saying those k's are really nothing out of the ordinary.

He made a thread with the title "High ks??" and then posted a link to an e30 with 300,000km. I'm just saying those k's are really nothing out of the ordinary.

I really love the older shaped BMW's but anything more than 200k scares me...which was kind of the reason i wanted to do a newer engine swap to an e30/e28.

hmmm seems dodgy 320 but 2.5 :ph34r: its a good little bugger really keeps on goin

I really love the older shaped BMW's but anything more than 200k scares me...which was kind of the reason i wanted to do a newer engine swap to an e30/e28.

There are many people on here that can vouch that 200,000km on a E30 is sweet F.A.

If I was looking at another e30 with that amount of k's on it, i'd be looking for rust and other wear and tear.. the engine is most likely the best part of the vehicle. Swapping a newer engine into a car doesn't always make it more reliable.

hmmm seems dodgy 320 but 2.5 :ph34r: its a good little bugger really keeps on goin

The tourings a race bread weapon mate

Edited by mark247

I had a M325i with 400,000ks and still pulled better than my e30 with half the K's, M20's are endurance engines lol

high ks in themselves is not a reason not to buy a car.Honestly if a car has been well looked after the ks are almost meaningless,its the overall condition of the car that counts.Of course most of our experience with high mileage cars belies this fact,but when you think about it cars are MEANT to wear out and be renewed.So the secret is to find a car which is more renewed thasn worn out,and the overall condition is the best indictaor of such a car.

high ks in themselves is not a reason not to buy a car.Honestly if a car has been well looked after the ks are almost meaningless,its the overall condition of the car that counts.Of course most of our experience with high mileage cars belies this fact,but when you think about it cars are MEANT to wear out and be renewed.So the secret is to find a car which is more renewed thasn worn out,and the overall condition is the best indictaor of such a car.

I couldn't have put it better myself!

My E34 520 was M20 powered and was at 310,000km when i sold it.

In the 4 years i owned it the ONLY thing i had to do (apart from reg' oil / filter changes) was clean the ICV (idle control valve). Never had head gasket or water pump issues, in fact i never even changed the plugs or air filter.

High k's mean nothing. The tow pig (VR Commodore ute) is at 298,000 and i defy anyone to tell the difference between mine and a low k Commodore when driving.

^ I echo these thoughts, my M20 has done 309,000k recently mostly weekend driving and track days generally so it gets a reasonably hard life but with regular oil, spark plug and coolant changes I am hoping it will last atleast for a little while longer.

According to my own pants dyno and others that have ridden/driven it, it still pulls a lot harder than many other less k's M20's. All comes down to maintenance etc, it is just a number.

When I brought it the mileage was barely a consideration beacause a) M20's are so cheap to replace if they go bang and B) it was owned by 4 or 5 bimmersporters before me so you know it has had even just a little bit more preventative maintenence than just Joe Bloggs from the backwards hat brigade.

If you want to talk about hi k's, well maintained cars talk to Simon ;)

My 2c.

Edited by Brams

I know what you mean, my main concern with high kms is now days i don't have a lot of spare time and i worry what trouble is about to start, though in saying that i once had a car with less than 80k and everything went wrong with it within 3 months <_< 7 year old car + low kms + bad maintenance = Me doing the maintenace -_-

Not to mention E30's stand up to the k's pretty well compared similar age jappas etc. E34's would have to be kings of high k's, built to last.

I know what you mean, my main concern with high kms is now days i don't have a lot of spare time and i worry what trouble is about to start, though in saying that i once had a car with less than 80k and everything went wrong with it within 3 months <_< 7 year old car + low kms + bad maintenance = Me doing the maintenace -_-

You dont have time for a little maintenance but you want to do a engine swap in a e30 or e28 (you said in previous post)? Good luck with this.

The issue with bad mantinence for me is the cost of it.

I got nothin' but time, but my pockets aren't deep hahah,

You dont have time for a little maintenance but you want to do a engine swap in a e30 or e28 (you said in previous post)? Good luck with this.

A little maintenance is not the problem, head gaskets, water pumps and anything that takes more than a couple of hours is...which is exactly why i would prefer to buy a decent kms's/running e30/e28 until i have the time and disposable $$ to complete the S50B32 transplant i'm planning down the line.